cruise crew salary,only 100dollars a month?

miketriton

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

I've met Royal Caribbean employees who have worked for the company for over 20 years, doing 8-month contracts each time.  

If the pay and conditions are so horrible, I hardly think they'd keep coming back year after year after year.  

And some employees are multigenerational RCI employees.  They work for RCI, there father/mother works for RCI, and their kids work for RCI.

• Like 2

Instead of just reading here. Go and do some looking on google for the salaries on the cruise ship. Any cruise line. Then be informed before you say more general replies. One I found that indicates the average money a cabin steward makes. Base pay plus the number of rooms they have adding in the gratuities they divide with others showing the amount of it they receive. They report the hours they actually work during a 7 day cruise. You will be very surprised on the income. 

6 minutes ago, SRF said:

Consider who posted it.

why?

I looked up the RCCL  site for hiring staff

You can search for other cruise lines for jobs available

You can check your own facts

1 minute ago, twodaywonder said:

You will be very surprised on the income. 

Actually I won't because how much a room attendant actually makes is none of my business.  It's a matter between the room attendant, their employer and their agent, not some do-gooder passengers. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Aquahound said:

Actually I won't because how much a room attendant actually makes is none of my business.  It's a matter between the room attendant, their employer and their agent, not some do-gooder passengers. 

Pardon me. Then don't. No one is forcing you to do anything.

7 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Instead of just reading here. Go and do some looking on google for the salaries on the cruise ship. Any cruise line. Then be informed before you say more general replies. One I found that indicates the average money a cabin steward makes. Base pay plus the number of rooms they have adding in the gratuities they divide with others showing the amount of it they receive. They report the hours they actually work during a 7 day cruise. You will be very surprised on the income. 

I am sure if  a dozen crew  showed you their pay slips for 6 mths you would still not believe them 🙄

https://www.cruiselinejob.com/hotel.htm

Yes there cabin is very small but it is free boarding and free food. Medical and dental if needed. Lots of great perks. No need for a vehicle. Visit different ports is nice. Most are from countries that would consider what they have as fantastic. $3.00 for mixed drinks. If it was that bad no one would work on a cruise ship. it is a certain life style. You either love it or hate it. Why do so many do the 20 years or longer. Last cruise we talked with the supervisor for the specialty coffee. He has been with Celebrity for 18 years and intends to do a lot more then the 20. He is a single man and loves his job. He was offered a higher position and turned it down. He loves what he is doing and just want to keep doing it. Enjoys the change of people that come on the ship, the conversations with people for all over the world. In the NAVY we had bunk beds on the ship and shared the room with many. No private nothing. The cruise ship employee at least has some privacy. Usually 2 to a room for the lower class employees. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

So why are you reading anything here on this topic?

10 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Pardon me. Then don't. No one is forcing you to do anything.

Because if you read my previous posts, you'll see my only questions were asking, to no avail, where the OP got their info.

Otherwise, it's a little comical to watch some people try to argue with folks in the industry, such as with the guy on this thread who actually worked on a cruise ship.  But yeah, the outsiders always think they know more.  :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I am sure if  a dozen crew  showed you their pay slips for 6 mths you would still not believe them 🙄

Guess you are so very smart. pardon me. Guess what you read is not correct either.

Follow your own recommendations. 

I would love to see were it says they make $100.00 a month. Bull!

15 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

How much real difference is there between an employee who gets a “salary” of just $100 a month and tip income of, perhaps, a couple of thousand $, or a sales rep who only gets a commission once it rises above a certain floor amount?  It is the total income that is of interest to the individual - whether it is all salary, some salary and tips, or all commissions.  The employer provides the position, the employee fills it (or not, if he does not like the terms) and the employee comes away with the income — which, regardless of whether it is salary, salary and tips, or all commission, makes it worth the employee’s while to accept the position.

Except that in some cases gratuity income  is taxed at a lower rate, in their home country, so it is an advantage to those crew to have most of their income come from gratuties.

Which never seems to cross the minds of those who clamor for the  cruiselines to fold grats into the fare and just pay the crew salary.  A perfect example of virtue signalling that makes the signaller feel better while screwing the people the signaller purports to care about.

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Guess you are so very smart. pardon me. Guess what you read is not correct either.

Follow your own recommendations. 

I would love to see were it says they make $100.00 a month. Bull!

No, the OP said RCCL said the SALARY is $100 per month, which is close to the facts, not that their COMPENSATION is $100 per month. RCCL says this to get people to continue to pay the DSC, which is what the OP was asking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Except that in some cases gratuity income  is taxed at a lower rate, in their home country, so it is an advantage to those crew to have most of their income come from gratuties.

Which never seems to cross the minds of those who clamor for the  cruiselines to fold grats into the fare and just pay the crew salary.  A perfect example of virtue signalling that makes the signaller feel better while screwing the people the signaller purports to care about.

Really significant point:  there is a practical advantage for the staff to be paid through tips rather than salary: more money in their pockets for the same cost to the passengers  — who would really moan if fares had to be increased by more than the gratuities were decreased.

16 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Really significant point:  there is a practical advantage for the staff to be paid through tips rather than salary: more money in their pockets for the same cost to the passengers  — who would really moan if fares had to be increased by more than the gratuities were decreased.

Actually, for Filipino workers, whether money received from the employer is labeled salary or gratuities, it is considered as regular income, and taxed as such.  Only gratuities received directly from the customer are considered as gratuities.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, for Filipino workers, whether money received from the employer is labeled salary or gratuities, it is considered as regular income, and taxed as such.  Only gratuities received directly from the customer are considered as gratuities.

Is that different for, let's say, Indonesian workers? You receive money from the ship, calculated and written down by your employer, if it's not enough they'll make up for that. It seems totally obvious that such "official" money, being the bulk of the salary is being taxed.  

1 hour ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Is that different for, let's say, Indonesian workers? You receive money from the ship, calculated and written down by your employer, if it's not enough they'll make up for that. It seems totally obvious that such "official" money, being the bulk of the salary is being taxed.  

I don't know the tax laws of every nation, but I have checked the Filipino laws.  Though there is still a wide variance between the full "compensation" and what the employer has to make good above the "salary" minimum.  As I said, it is about the minimum wage is about 1/3 of their normal compensation.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

That's probably an American thing. I have never, ever, heared anyone say that I have to tip the person selling me an outfit so that they get a decent salary. (If someone did, I should defenitely try to find out how high salary someone selling clothes has.)

Nobody is saying that you have to tip the person selling you an outfit -- that's definitely NOT a thing in the USA. 

What they're saying is that you don't CONCERN YOURSELF with how much those employees are making. 

If you don't go into every grocery store, factory, restaurant, gas station, clothing store, jewelry store, medical facility, etc., and get all Social Justice Warrior about how much money each worker is being paid, what benefits they're getting, what hours they're working, how many vacation days they get, etc., why would you get all bent out of shape about what cruise line workers are earning?  

None of the workers are victims of indentured servitude -- they are all there of their own free will, there are laws in place that guarantee a "minimum wage" is paid, all the employees signed contracts that specify what their wages are, so why is everyone all hepped up about this subject matter in the first place?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't know the tax laws of every nation, but I have checked the Filipino laws.  Though there is still a wide variance between the full "compensation" and what the employer has to make good above the "salary" minimum.  As I said, it is about the minimum wage is about 1/3 of their normal compensation.

Mmm. I'm thinking about an automatic, tax free, "Problem Resolution Gratuity" for our support desk instead of what we normally charge. Which can easily be removed of course by filling out just a few forms and showing a recent (2 months at most) form of ID, in our office. :)

2 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Mmm. I'm thinking about an automatic, tax free, "Problem Resolution Gratuity" for our support desk instead of what we normally charge. Which can easily be removed of course by filling out just a few forms and showing a recent (2 months at most) form of ID, in our office. 🙂

The whole idea of using the DSC to make up the bulk of the DSC pool crew's compensation is to force them to police themselves (the cruise line calls it team building) so that one poor crew in the group doesn't affect everyone's compensation, while moving the onus of the reduction in everyone's compensation to the passenger, not the cruise line ("well, the passengers removed the DSC, we didn't").  It's hokey, and unjust, and a way for them to keep the advertised fares down, but it is what it is, and no amount of complaining by passengers will change it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, brillohead said:

None of the workers are victims of indentured servitude -- they are all there of their own free will, there are laws in place that guarantee a "minimum wage" is paid, all the employees signed contracts that specify what their wages are, so why is everyone all hepped up about this subject matter in the first place?

Yes!

Thank you.

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Like 2

After following this thread I have decided that I will only be cruising in Suites from now on. That way I can bring my international tax accountant and her crew to advise us the most tax efficient compensation structure for the staff. Do we leave the DSC in place or do we cancel it and pay in cash which attracts lowers taxes in some countries? But should we leave the DSC on for the dinning staff if they are from other countries who don't have a lower tax structure for gratuities vs. ordinary income  and only cancel it for the Filipino staff?

Maybe we should tip in stocks; hey, capital gains are taxed at a lower rate in many countries. Crap, now I'll have to pay for another suite for my investment advisor!!!

Of course, paying for those Suites won't leave any money in the kitty to pay any actual tips. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

After following this thread I have decided that I will only be cruising in Suites from now on. That way I can bring my international tax accountant and her crew to advise us the most tax efficient compensation structure for the staff. Do we leave the DSC in place or do we cancel it and pay in cash which attracts lowers taxes in some countries? But should we leave the DSC on for the dinning staff if they are from other countries who don't have a lower tax structure for gratuities vs. ordinary income  and only cancel it for the Filipino staff?

Maybe we should tip in stocks; hey, capital gains are taxed at a lower rate in many countries. Crap, now I'll have to pay for another suite for my investment advisor!!!

Of course, paying for those Suites won't leave any money in the kitty to pay any actual tips. 

Not to mention, the gratuity rate is higher in a suite than in a standard room..... the problem keeps snowballing!

8 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

That's probably an American thing. I have never, ever, heared anyone say that I have to tip the person selling me an outfit so that they get a decent salary. (If someone did, I should defenitely try to find out how high salary someone selling clothes has.)

Don't be obtuse. No one claimed you needed to tip such a person. Sigh!!!

You know how the system works on a cruise ship. If you are a decent person, you will accept the decision the cruise line and the employees have made and stop all your tilting at windmills nonsense. 

On 8/6/2019 at 7:37 PM, CPT Trips said:

On cruise ships there are a lot of positions that are in the tip pool than in a typical US land based resort. What any of us think "should" pertain to a cruise ship's compensation plan has little relationship to reality for the employees.

This goes against the rest of the world. If the cruise lines want greater participation in automatic gratuity, then it's in their best interest to be transparent. Until then, all those people "behind the scenes" won't get proper compensation.

Either that or just roll the gratuity into the cruise fare and pay their employees like the rest of the WORLD.