Chair hoggers - interesting response

Another easy fix to the problem of chogs -- kitchen timers.  

This would work similarly to a parking meter -- when you leave, you set the timer.  After the 30 minutes are up, a little flag pops up and your chair is now eligible for claiming by anyone.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Another easy fix to the problem of chogs -- kitchen timers.  

This would work similarly to a parking meter -- when you leave, you set the timer.  After the 30 minutes are up, a little flag pops up and your chair is now eligible for claiming by anyone.  

Exactly. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Exactly. 

But a simple kitchen-timer type of mechanism wouldn't require "technology" and battery changes.... although then we'd have to deal with people duct-taping the timer so it couldn't turn and use up their time!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brillohead said:

But a simple kitchen-timer type of mechanism wouldn't require "technology" and battery changes.... although then we'd have to deal with people duct-taping the timer so it couldn't turn and use up their time!  

The "advanced technology" was in jest. I think you should be able to buy this for $2 with a battery that would work for 10 years with all the salt and whatever. Then again, a physical flag also draws more attention and is more fun. :classic_biggrin: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

One of my biggest peeves about chair-hoggers is the families that insist on a separate lounger for each person, when the kiddies will be in the pool / hot tub / slides / arcade / buffet the ENTIRE time. 

My biggest peeve is, because I don't do the sun, when someone stakes claim to their loungers in the sun and then a second set of lounger in the shade.  

• Like 2

On 8/14/2019 at 4:26 AM, Bloodgem said:

Wow. What a beige response

What would you suggest they should have  answered?  🙂

I am  not being s smart mouth,  I   truly would like to know.

image.png.3e2d96f589638d0650a152fcc198e612.png 

sail.noordam@gmail.com

2 hours ago, sail7seas said:

What would you suggest they should have  answered?  🙂

I am  not being s smart mouth,  I   truly would like to know.

I think that RCI  should not have given Sancho_proudfoot  the impression that they prefer to deal with complaints about chair hoggers than to deal with complaints from chair hoggers. 

I was left with the impression that RCI are willing to ignore their own rules just to avoid dealing with complaints from hoggers.

I think that  Sancho_proudfoot should have been left with the impression that they were taking his/her comments about chair hoggers seriously, especially as RCI took time to ring Sancho_proudfoot, instead of saying "we are considering various alternative methods of enforcing the rules which wouldn't lead to a storm of complaints". 

Do you think RCI's response is acceptable if you had taken time to bring hoggers to their attention?  

On 8/17/2019 at 10:31 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

I'm not so sure that "Disney" (at least, the original Disneyland in SoCal - now the Disneyland Resort with the inclusion of California Adventure) has ever had a "customer is always right" mentality. Rather, they have an approach to customer service that often focuses on a balance of reasonable accommodation and deescalating technique.

I once had an exec assistant who had come from S.F.'s Marriott operation. She could hold the line on any of our non-negotiable and still send folks away with a smile. When I asked her about acquisition of that skill, her answer was "Disney University."

When I did my customer service training (believe it or not, when working for a Federal agency), the training course was riddled with Disney examples.

Now of which were really the customer was always right.  But to always smile and be nice the customer.  And not apologize or compare.

But Marriott has some pretty top notch customer service training.  Except for the Singapore Marriott.  IDIOTS.

On 8/17/2019 at 2:20 PM, ReneeFLL said:

The more they continue to charge for every little thing people will realize that they will get a better product with one of the more upscale lines. More people will be jumping ship to better things such as different cruise line or other types of vacations.

Except many people cannot afford the upscale lines.

Many people are stretched with an inside cabin on a shorter cruise.

Yeah, they try sticking it to the suite customers, and it is a MUCH shorted step to an upscale or luxury line.

My experience with chair hoggers was a couple of years ago.

My SO and I staked out a couple of loungers (yeah, I know, but we were back in about 30 minutes) just before an early breakfast, and then were in the loungers by about 8AM.

When we got to the loungers, about 6 next to us had towels (rolled up) and the backs flipped over.  Around 11:00 a couple of people showed up and used two of them loungers.  About 45 minutes later, a lady and her daughter showed up, and tried to use one or two of the unused ones.  They people shooed her away.

So she grabbed a couple of chairs from the shade and set them up in front of the unused loungers.

A pool person came over to tell her she could not do this.  She pointed to the unused loungers and told what happened.  The pool person asked the people sitting there, and was told, oh, those people were just there a few minutes ago.

I decided to weigh in, and told the pool person, no, we had been there for over 3 hours, and NO ONE had used the loungers.  He picked up the towels and let the lady and her daughter use them.  I got glared at.  I smiled back. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/17/2019 at 3:20 AM, ReneeFLL said:

The more they continue to charge for every little thing people will realize that they will get a better product with one of the more upscale lines. More people will be jumping ship to better things such as different cruise line or other types of vacations.

Doubtful that the nickel and diming will get people to switch to upscale lines.  It will motivate people to switch to other types of vacations.

18 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

I think that RCI  should not have given Sancho_proudfoot  the impression that they prefer to deal with complaints about chair hoggers than to deal with complaints from chair hoggers. 

I was left with the impression that RCI are willing to ignore their own rules just to avoid dealing with complaints from hoggers.

I think that  Sancho_proudfoot should have been left with the impression that they were taking his/her comments about chair hoggers seriously, especially as RCI took time to ring Sancho_proudfoot, instead of saying "we are considering various alternative methods of enforcing the rules which wouldn't lead to a storm of complaints". 

Do you think RCI's response is acceptable if you had taken time to bring hoggers to their attention?  

NO, I do not think  RCI's  response acceptable. 

image.png.3bfa8e5def9cc79b10335b40b81fb485.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

10 hours ago, SRF said:

Except many people cannot afford the upscale lines.

Many people are stretched with an inside cabin on a shorter cruise.

Yeah, they try sticking it to the suite customers, and it is a MUCH shorted step to an upscale or luxury line.

People say they can't afford an upscale line, yet many cruise every year, some take two or more cruises a year.   The cost of those cruises over a couple of years would pay for an upscale cruise.

We can't afford to cruise an upscale line every year (well, we could if we wanted to stick to places like the Caribbean) so we alternate with other trips that are more budget friendly to save discretionary income for cruising.

16 minutes ago, ducklite said:

People say they can't afford an upscale line, yet many cruise every year, some take two or more cruises a year.   The cost of those cruises over a couple of years would pay for an upscale cruise.

We can't afford to cruise an upscale line every year (well, we could if we wanted to stick to places like the Caribbean) so we alternate with other trips that are more budget friendly to save discretionary income for cruising.

Hmmm, cruise once every couple of years on an upscale line or sail every year on a more affordable line. Everyone has their preference and mine is to cruise as often as I can so I know the choice that I would make.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ducklite said:

It's sad if people don't mix it up, because a huge portion of this rock can't be seen from a cruise ship.

I know there are people with mobility and other issues but otherwise I totally agree with you.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ducklite said:

It's sad if people don't mix it up, because a huge portion of this rock can't be seen from a cruise ship.

My Navy recruiter told me to "join the Navy and see the world". Of course he failed to mention that 75% of the world is water😂. (A fact that I had forgotten from geography class😳.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

My Navy recruiter told me to "join the Navy and see the world". Of course he failed to mention that 75% of the world is water😂. (A fact that I had forgotten from geography class😳.)

There's not much to see on open water. I was speaking of places and things other than a random tanker or RoRo.

Most people, no matter how good a person they are, do things that can be judged by others and looked down upon.

Do I think chogs are correct in their actions? Of course not.

Some look at speed limits, as speed suggestions. When it's personal, it is easy to justify.

And pertaining to cruise lines and chairs, I don't see it changing at the current healthy moment. Prices are going up, not down. So I would think in their view, it isn't that bad and keeping the same "enforcement" is a good choice.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Most people, no matter how good a person they are,

do things that can be judged by others and looked down upon.

Do I think chogs are correct in their actions?

Of course not.

Sorry for shortening your post.

But I found it ...nice.

Besides, after all these years, found  the term "CHOGS"  posted for the first time.

Was this your original acronym?

I like it.

Michael

Edited by $hip$hape
  • Like 1

😎

43 minutes ago, ducklite said:

There's not much to see on open water.

I was speaking of places and things other than a random tanker or RoRo.

Sea days...

Open water sightings..

HA!

Oh, Like when we pax start picking on others "cup of tea", or style of dress.😉

Me DW may comment on a skirt, I spy,  to be too high for her comfort .😎

But if it's a swimming suit it's okay ?

Edited by $hip$hape

On 8/14/2019 at 8:28 AM, Warm Breezes said:

My first encounter with CHOGS was on our 2011 NCL Epic cruise.  Not a chair be found on the sea days.  All had bodies or things on them.  After that it was only balconies for us with exception of a 2 short cruises on smaller ships where we stayed on the ships at port.  Problem solved.  I'd rather be on my private balcony than on a crowded deck when looking for some sun and ocean.  We now save our deck time for port days when we are at ports that we stay on the ship.  When the masses are away we will come out and play.  If there is no port where we are staying on the ship I am finding myself booking larger balconies with my own lounger(s).  I'd rather pay for this added private space in the sun then spend the money on a drink package.  To each his own.  All I know is I rarely even go on the public open decks anymore unless it is a port day and then I enjoy having them mostly to myself.  It's beautiful, I never even see the CHOGS anymore.

That would be fine if there were decent comfortable chairs on the balcony.  We used to get nice loungers; now most balcony furniture is practically unusable it is so uncomfortable--and balconies keep getting smaller too.

But, so far not a really big deal for us as we don't even want to sit by the pool or other busy area.  (It was a problem when we sailed with several children and needed to be by the pool).  We've always been able to find seats in a nice quiet area, although sometimes it takes some looking.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 1