Silver tongued response from NCL Customer Service

RNCheryl

Sailed the Bliss, and final stop was Victoria.  We were lined up inside waiting to board buses for the excursion for about 30 minutes past the scheduled start time for the tour of Butchard Gardens.  Therefore, our time during daylight to see the lovely gardens was quite limited.  The tour company was not in any way responsible for this delay.  Many (more than 100) people complained about the delay. 

I asked for some monetary compensation, but really knew all along that there would be none.  Still, I don't appreciate NCL blaming the tour company.

Thank you for contacting us about your recent cruise aboard the Norwegian Bliss.

We were truly sorry to learn of your disappointment with the Butchart Gardens Express tour and offer our sincerest apologies.

Our Shore Excursions department works very hard to find quality tours that will both entertain and educate our valued passengers.  Each excursion, although operated by an independent and reputable tour operator, they are thoroughly researched for content and quality, to provide the finest excursions available.

We appreciate that you took the time to share your observations with us. You can be certain your comments, as well as those of other guests, will be taken into consideration when decisions are made to renew contracts with the various tour operators with which we work.

As a gesture of goodwill, when you have confirmed plans to sail with us again, please contact the Guest Relations department at 1(866) 625-1164 so that we can arrange a Welcome Aboard amenity for your enjoyment. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back aboard any one of our vessels soon.

Sincerely,

Patricia Tamarit
Coordinator
Guest Relations

Case: 02797627

I just received my son's "translation" of NCL's explanation:

It's not our fault that we suck but we will be happy to provide you with more unremarkable service the next time you book with us.  Your comments will be added to the other guests comments.Thank you  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Trying to understand what happened here.  

The tour bus was late?  The ship was late docking?  There was a problem with the ship getting clearance once docked?  You were 30 minutes late?

What did the tour operator say?

I like to think that NCL has some “say so” over how the tours you book on board operate.  But, at the end of the day, they’re separate, independent entities.

I’ve found that if there’s a problem with a excursion on either the cruise lines part or excursion companies fault and you go to the excursion desk after the excursion is done they have always compensated me in some way.  Be it a % back with OBC etc 

Always best to handle any problems while onboard 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, LaCal said:

I’ve found that if there’s a problem with a excursion on either the cruise lines part or excursion companies fault and you go to the excursion desk after the excursion is done they have always compensated me in some way.  Be it a % back with OBC etc 

Always best to handle any problems while onboard 

Excellent advice, with any issues on a cruise.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Trying to understand what happened here.  

The tour bus was late?  The ship was late docking?  There was a problem with the ship getting clearance once docked?  You were 30 minutes late?

What did the tour operator say?

I like to think that NCL has some “say so” over how the tours you book on board operate.  But, at the end of the day, they’re separate, independent entities.

Please forgive me if this sounds cold, but it comes across as an excuse on the OP's part for something in return, be it $$$.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1

gosh some people have some cruel responses. But if only 30 minutes made the difference in seeing the gardens in daylight I am not sure they should even offer that tour. There are always those situations that can alter the best laid plans especially when arriving to ports. Its the risk of taking private tours and ship tours.

We were not late docking in Victoria.  (A very short stop, 8-midnight).  It was not a problem with docking approval; people not on NCL excursions were disembarking.  Tour buses were lined up waiting for us.

As we were late getting back to the ship (11 something), excursions desk was closed, and I did not take the time on Saturday to check, as we had to leave the ship before 9am.

There was some talk on the Facebook NCL page about problems with certain passengers with passports; it was never explained clearly to me.

As I said before, I asked for consideration of a monetary refund of some amount, and did not really expect to receive it.  I was really testing NCL's customer service.  I think their one-size-fits-all explanation/apology was poorly done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RNCheryl said:

Sailed the Bliss, and final stop was Victoria.  We were lined up inside waiting to board buses for the excursion for about 30 minutes past the scheduled start time for the tour of Butchard Gardens.  Therefore, our time during daylight to see the lovely gardens was quite limited.  The tour company was not in any way responsible for this delay.  Many (more than 100) people complained about the delay. 

I asked for some monetary compensation, but really knew all along that there would be none.  Still, I don't appreciate NCL blaming the tour company.

Thank you for contacting us about your recent cruise aboard the Norwegian Bliss.

We were truly sorry to learn of your disappointment with the Butchart Gardens Express tour and offer our sincerest apologies.

Our Shore Excursions department works very hard to find quality tours that will both entertain and educate our valued passengers.  Each excursion, although operated by an independent and reputable tour operator, they are thoroughly researched for content and quality, to provide the finest excursions available.

We appreciate that you took the time to share your observations with us. You can be certain your comments, as well as those of other guests, will be taken into consideration when decisions are made to renew contracts with the various tour operators with which we work.

As a gesture of goodwill, when you have confirmed plans to sail with us again, please contact the Guest Relations department at 1(866) 625-1164 so that we can arrange a Welcome Aboard amenity for your enjoyment. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back aboard any one of our vessels soon.

Sincerely,

Patricia Tamarit
Coordinator
Guest Relations

Not being on the tour or the ship I am not going to comment on who's fault it was. We all like to blame someone else. We did do a tour via NCL last Feb and due to delays, more getting back than going we got  full refund from NCL and we didn't expect it. I guess it never hurts to ask, but we understand some things can not be helped and not getting a refund is more common than getting one. We truthfully did not blame NCL In our case. We also were not the ones that spoke to the tour desk, it was of the other guests on our tour. That is why we were doubly shocked when we saw the credit.  With that being said; I am not sure why the OP would even bother to ask considering there was only a 30 minute delay regardless of who's fault it is and complaining after the fact does very little. Of course the response is going to be the same for everyone who was unhappy. 

3 hours ago, RNCheryl said:

I just received my son's "translation" of NCL's explanation:

It's not our fault that we suck but we will be happy to provide you with more unremarkable service the next time you book with us.  Your comments will be added to the other guests comments.Thank you  

I'll give you a better translation:

"It's unfortunate there were circumstances that delayed debarkation of guests and therefore limited your excursion time in a port with an already limited timeframe.  In response to your request for compensation, here's a trinket we'll offer you next time you sail with us".

Whether the original NCL response or the two translations, you got what you deserved.

47 minutes ago, RNCheryl said:

We were not late docking in Victoria.  (A very short stop, 8-midnight).  It was not a problem with docking approval; people not on NCL excursions were disembarking.  Tour buses were lined up waiting for us.

As we were late getting back to the ship (11 something), excursions desk was closed, and I did not take the time on Saturday to check, as we had to leave the ship before 9am.

There was some talk on the Facebook NCL page about problems with certain passengers with passports; it was never explained clearly to me.

As I said before, I asked for consideration of a monetary refund of some amount, and did not really expect to receive it.  I was really testing NCL's customer service.  I think their one-size-fits-all explanation/apology was poorly done.

Problems with certain passengers with passports?? Based on what you are reporting, it would appear that the issue was caused by a) those passengers, b) Canadian customs/border officials, or c) both. I don't see where NCL did something wrong. Why would NCL be the one to offer monetary compensation?

Sound like your issues were the result of certain people not having their travel documents in order.

• Like 2

Scheduling anything less than adequate port time is bound to have raves of dissatisfaction.

It does a disservice to the Butchart Gardens which to be appreciated needs 4 hours alone.

The bus route to get to the BG takes about 25-30 minutes depending on traffic and scenic

sights pointed out for camera photo-opt. After visiting the BG the trip back less so in time.

To rush this shore excursion is really bad - a short port stop is unforgivable but it is what

it is. A shame since the ending of the cruise is less than 90 miles away and whatever ship

is used it is a very short putt-putt speed to arrive as scheduled the following morning.

Granted the availability of pier space could have been a problem - there are only -2- docks

for cruise ships to tie up at and any number of previous scheduled cruise ships could limit

the time.

As for Canadian Customs - I don't recall if the clearance is done arriving at Victoria or

in departing - but with an earlier and longer more accommodating time frame everything

would be much better.

There could have been issues with Victoria residents leaving the ship instead of at the end

of the cruise in Seattle - but how many of those - then again NCL too short port call time !

This is as if this port call and shore excursion was doomed from the get-go - very bad planning !

It would not be the tour operators fault or BG with NCLs untimely port call and compounded

perhaps with Canadian Customs having to work extra late hours ?

No amount of sparkling vino or form letter is going to wash this one down.

Victoria needs more than a casual short port call stop - there is more to see than just the BG too !

4 hours ago, RNCheryl said:

Sincerely,

Patricia Tamarit
Coordinator
Guest Relations

You could dispute the charge with your credit card company as “item not as described “.  Don’t know if you will get your money back or not, but in any case the cruiseline will have to pay someone to review and respond and I think they even get hit with a service charge win or lose.   Nothing to lose by trying!

Sorry RNCheryl that this happened to you. We loved Victoria when we went but then we went on our own and did not book a cruise excursion. (whoa watch many say you are taking a chance not booking with the ship etc etc - but then this thread is not about that touchy subject) Sometimes a customer service letter response is not well-written or even close to an empathetic response. I had good, bad and indifferent responses over the years from NCL and yes, other companies as well. Not knowing all of the circumstances it is hard to say what if any compensation should have been given. You do have the right to share your experience and for me it was a reminder that sometimes things do not go the way of of the poster's expectation. 

OK....now it makes more sense....some people could not be cleared by customs due to passport issues. As they say, “stuff” happens.

Maybe it’s because I’ve cruised a bit, but a 30 minute delay isn’t really that big of a deal.  I’m not particularly “nit-picky” though.  Gonna be a tough sell to get any sort of compensation for a 30 minute delay for any reason, let alone due to passport issues.

Best of luck!

24 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

You could dispute the charge with your credit card company as “item not as described “.  Don’t know if you will get your money back or not, but in any case the cruiseline will have to pay someone to review and respond and I think they even get hit with a service charge win or lose.   Nothing to lose by trying!

Not the wisest course of action https://www.elliott.org/cruises/hated-shore-excursion-cruise-mistake/ and while it was different circumstances there's another article on the website about how a chargeback put them on NCLs do not sail list. 

I wouldn't risk it for a not unheard of 30 minute delay. 

1 hour ago, RNCheryl said:

IOW you were laying the ground work to start making unfounded public complaints.

Good grief what did you expect this is an evening tour. Of course there is going to be a lack of daylight.   A very common comment in reviews.   And I can assure you.  YOU do NOT know the details of the delay nor are qualified to place any blame.    Passengers speculate many times naively.   There are a whole lot of reasons that  impact time.   

A 30 minute delay at the start of an excursion or docking is fairly typical.  The sun does go down every day and its not fair to blame either the cruise line nor the excursion company for such a thing.

Customer knew while booking the excursion the small amount of time with the sun when the ship docked.

How much monetary compensation would satisfy 15 more minutes of sun?
This is like booking a beach excursion and upset it was cloudy and demanding compensation for lack of sun.

Everything worked perfectly. The ship got into port relatively on time.  The excursion bus picked you up and took you to the excursion. The sun went down.

Sorry, this probably sounds more harsh than I mean it to be.  I can give you way better examples of feeling cheated during an excursion.  This is definitely not one of them.

3 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

A 30 minute delay at the start of an excursion or docking is fairly typical.  The sun does go down every day and its not fair to blame either the cruise line nor the excursion company for such a thing.

Customer knew while booking the excursion the small amount of time with the sun when the ship docked.

How much monetary compensation would satisfy 15 more minutes of sun?
This is like booking a beach excursion and upset it was cloudy and demanding compensation for lack of sun.

Everything worked perfectly. The ship got into port relatively on time.  The excursion bus picked you up and took you to the excursion. The sun went down.

Sorry, this probably sounds more harsh than I mean it to be.  I can give you way better examples of feeling cheated during an excursion.  This is definitely not one of them.

If it worked perfectly the excursion would have left when it was supposed to. 

• Like 1