Teens and Diamond Club

4 hours ago, dawnelda said:

Hey OP. Don't worry about it - good on you for taking your nephew on a cruise and if you can get him into the Diamond lounge then all the more power to you.

People on Cruise Critic are mean.

The truth does hurt. 😜

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, IzznOll17 said:

I earned it the same way!  But my wife didn't ... neither did her son - all 3 of us are about to have a + added on too!

Tell me where that system is fair and rewards people who've 'paid' their way?

That's why it's a joke

My son has sailed more on Royal Caribbean than we have. We share his status. Your right it is a joke.

5 hours ago, powelweb said:

Have you even asked the nephew if he wants to join you in the DL? Our 15yr old (who is D+ due to my status but D on her own sailings) often prefers to just hang with friends in the teen lounge or our cabin, and just meet us for dinner.

WOW  I  agree with you 100 % . Just ask him . If you have a 15 year old that doesn't want to hang out with others his age and wants to go to a " old person drinking club " your nephew has issues or you do . Not sorry . Those are the most important years of his life . Yes have rules and boundaries like meeting for dinner at ... time . ☺

18 hours ago, ariesknowbest said:

Hello All:

Traveling with my nephew who is 15.  Will he be allowed in the Diamond Club with my hubby and I?

Thanks. 

not unless he is Diamond in his own right .   guests staying in the same cabin   do NOT receive reciprocity.  

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Surely you son is older than 18

Yes we all took a family trip when they were younger. My son sailed a few times with friends but when we sailed with him in June and our reservations were linked So it showed that we had the same status and points. He still lives with us. I was confused at first until I started reading about the shared status for family. Personally I don't think it's a good idea because it takes away from those who actually sailed to earn the benefits. Do the kids keep their parents status once they are living on their own or do they go back to their earned status?

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yes we all took a family trip when they were younger. My son sailed a few times with friends but when we sailed with him in June and our reservations were linked So it showed that we had the same status and points. He still lives with us. I was confused at first until I started reading about the shared status for family. Personally I don't think it's a good idea because it takes away from those who actually sailed to earn the benefits. Do the kids keep their parents status once they are living on their own or do they go back to their earned status?

Kids keep the status but revert back to their own actual points. They could be Diamond with 7 points. 

This happens at age 18 regardless of where they are living 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

26 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Should have the status showing when son was 18. Points/status he earned after 18 should not pass to you. 

My points show 1075+, but if I call C&A, I really have just under 600

This is why I believe it's days are numbered! Other cruise lines know it's more complicated than it needs to be and easily abused because they're offering status matches to poach cruisers! Lets face it, once you're in the loop as such, and heading towards that magical status (whatever level that may be) you're less likely to jump ship so to speak!

The lounges are usually overcrowded, used to different degrees by different people ( ie people who've no intention of spending any more money on anything and consuming as much as they possibly can in the stipulated time AND then having the 3 drinks on top) and as I've said, most ships are losing various areas for more cabins or restaurants and the like. It would be a lot easier to start afresh, and give you your relevant status/perk/benefit pre loaded onto your card to be used at ANYTIME during the day!

They'd be no ambiguity, no cheating of the system and I guess an actual profit to RCCL as their drinks costings for the lounges must be astronomical! 

We could all sit in other areas with whomever we wish and neither would lose out.

I didn't intend on offending or upsetting anyone with my initial post, but I constantly get amused at how the 'system' creates issues/problems that are pretty much unnecessary.

We all work hard/have worked hard to pay for our cruises, and I firmly believe you should take that cruise in what ever way you feel. I do love meeting new people in the lounges and would go as far as to say some of my BEST friends have been met in that environment. I have never judged anyone on how they have got through the door and never will do, and I've known for certain that some shouldn't have been in if the rules were 100% adhered to.

That said the 'system' creates an issue where sly remarks are often made and that IS wrong! Jeez, someone even asked my wife and I only last year that we were the youngest people they'd ever seen in a lounge! - and we're both 49 next birthday ha ha ha ... and believe me, I'm nothing if not 'weathered' ha ha ha

Like I say, one day I believe the system will change to where your drinks are pre loaded to use at anytime a day ( the number is for another day ha ha ) and I personally can't wait for that to happen. I'm on Jewel soon which has a great lounge, but this time we're on packages so probably won't get to visit like a few months ago. Then 3 more on Allure which I'll be visiting the lounge to drop in from time to time... 

Anyways, I'm waffling now ha ha ha

Happy cruising to each and everyone one of you and maybe we'll meet somewhere for a drink or 2 in a lounge and chat about what is great about cruising and RCCL in particular!

Bon Voyage ... 

1 minute ago, IzznOll17 said:

The lounges are usually overcrowded, used to different degrees by different people ( ie people who've no intention of spending any more money on anything and consuming as much as they possibly can in the stipulated time AND then having the 3 drinks on top)

You can't really do that because once the lounge hours end, the vouchers are not usable.

14 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Why? If they’re well behaved and diamond members then they have no reason not to allow them. 

Maybe it varies by ship but I’ve been on cruises where the letter in your cabin explaining the nightly Diamond event specifically stated only 21 and over allowed. 

2 minutes ago, marci22 said:

You can't really do that because once the lounge hours end, the vouchers are not usable.

You reckon?

lounge opens at 5pm ...

dinner reservation for 7pm ...

3 drinks before 8pm ...

easily done!

Just now, IzznOll17 said:

You reckon?

lounge opens at 5pm ...

dinner reservation for 7pm ...

3 drinks before 8pm ...

easily done!

Your statement "consuming as much as they possibly can in the stipulated time AND then having the 3 drinks on top" sounds like they are staying in the lounge during open hours and having 3 drinks in addition. 

There is nothing wrong with doing what you say above. They use the cheapest alcohol possible and most loyalty members know to tip their servers. 

6 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Maybe it varies by ship but I’ve been on cruises where the letter in your cabin explaining the nightly Diamond event specifically stated only 21 and over allowed. 

They used to specify 21 and over but now allow accompanied minors.  I do believe you that some ships/itineraries may limit minors as Royal's product can be quite variable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marci22 said:

Your statement "consuming as much as they possibly can in the stipulated time AND then having the 3 drinks on top" sounds like they are staying in the lounge during open hours and having 3 drinks in addition. 

There is nothing wrong with doing what you say above. They use the cheapest alcohol possible and most loyalty members know to tip their servers. 

Yeah I'll agree to the poorly worded statement - my apologies ha ha

It was kind of linked to the initial posting of how it's flawed in that people complained how the 'opening hours' sometimes prevented them from enjoying their benefit AND enjoying what else the ship has to offer in regards to shows/dinner and the like, So RCCL changed to allowing 3 drinks to use in other parts of the ships. This then let the more creative cruiser utilise this even more ... ie I think RCCL meant to have one or the other - not both ha ha 

I've actually known it done that people have had an agreement with their MDR servers that they'll turn up just after 8pm having had the maximum hours in the lounge, took a drink 'for the road' and then had 3 glasses of wine waiting! You're right when you say tipping is the key ha ha ha

Nobody bats an eyelid anymore for fear of upsetting the customer - dining room dress code/solarium age/sunbeds to name just a few! That's why the whole system is flawed and other posters have reciprocated in similar ways!

12 minutes ago, marci22 said:

They used to specify 21 and over but now allow accompanied minors.  I do believe you that some ships/itineraries may limit minors as Royal's product can be quite variable. 

I know a family who book the royal suites on a regular basis and it being yards away from the CL so young' un liked to go in to get a drink and a cake or whatever on a regular basis - no fuss- no harm to anyone etc

People complained that a teenager shouldn't be in there and he was asked to leave!  There was more than a kerfuffle when his mother went in to ask what the problem was, and if i remember correctly the concierge got into a lot of trouble as they were also friends of the captain and his wife!

Edited by IzznOll17

36 minutes ago, IzznOll17 said:

I didn't intend on offending or upsetting anyone with my initial post, but I constantly get amused at how the 'system' creates issues/problems that are pretty much unnecessary.

Nice backpedal.  

The "system" doesn't create  problems, it's actually quite clear.  It's people who constantly try to beat the system that creates problems.  You say you don't care how someone gets into the Diamond Lounge. Really?  If you walk in and find it so crowded that you can't move, then find out that One Diamond took his 10 friends that he's cruising with in, I bet you'd care.  I care because it's a perk that I enjoy and am entitled to.  I want to be able to enjoy that perk in comfort.   When I'm pushed out by people who aren't entitled to that perk I'm not happy.  Why should I be?  

I never EVER assume that anyone in the lounge isn't Diamond.   But I also expect the Concierge to enforce the rules as set by the "system."  

Oh yeah...on Post 4 you say "can you not 'register' him as living with you?"  Not only does that violate the "system," but it likely violates the law!  How does Customs resolve someone claiming a minor as a legal dependent when they aren't?  How would that not red flag these people.  With all the discussion and concern about human trafficking in the U.S. I wouldn't try to claim a minor a legal dependent just so he can get into the Diamond Lounge.  

• Like 3

Our daughter will turn Diamond, due to my status, before she turns two years old in December. But she will have done a total of 65nts at sea by then, but not only on Royal.

Not sure if I will bring her into the DL, since I have seen the shape of the people getting out of the DL 😜

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Unfortunately the over 21 rule went the way of the old "Diamond Event".   Neither exists any longer (Except Diamond Event on Majesty).  

3 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Nice backpedal.  

The "system" doesn't create  problems, it's actually quite clear.  It's people who constantly try to beat the system that creates problems.  You say you don't care how someone gets into the Diamond Lounge. Really?  If you walk in and find it so crowded that you can't move, then find out that One Diamond took his 10 friends that he's cruising with in, I bet you'd care.  I care because it's a perk that I enjoy and am entitled to.  I want to be able to enjoy that perk in comfort.   When I'm pushed out by people who aren't entitled to that perk I'm not happy.  Why should I be?  

I never EVER assume that anyone in the lounge isn't Diamond.   But I also expect the Concierge to enforce the rules as set by the "system."  

Oh yeah...on Post 4 you say "can you not 'register' him as living with you?"  Not only does that violate the "system," but it likely violates the law!  How does Customs resolve someone claiming a minor as a legal dependent when they aren't?  How would that not red flag these people.  With all the discussion and concern about human trafficking in the U.S. I wouldn't try to claim a minor a legal dependent just so he can get into the Diamond Lounge.  

This ^...perfectly stated.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

Unfortunately the over 21 rule went the way of the old "Diamond Event".   Neither exists any longer (Except Diamond Event on Majesty).  

Apparently the term “Diamond Event” means something different to you. I was specifically talking about the nightly cocktail hour and that I have seen that limited to 21 and over. 

11 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Nice backpedal.  

Agree. Maybe if the LA put out a policy if any diamond or above member brought others in the DL that are not member(s) and got busted by the DLC those member(s) would be denied access to the DL for the remainder of the cruise. Day or night.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Apparently the term “Diamond Event” means something different to you. I was specifically talking about the nightly cocktail hour and that I have seen that limited to 21 and over. 

When the Diamonds were kicked out of the Concierge Lounge years ago, ships starting hosting a "Diamond Event" which was for Diamonds and above.  The drinks were cheap wine, bubbly, and beer.  Other drinks could be purchased for reduced cost.  No munchie bar, but cups of peanut mix/trail mix passed around.  I loved that event on Freedom!  Then the ships started putting in the keyed entry dedicated Diamond Lounge.

On MJ...the Diamond Event (since they don't have a CL/SL/DL)....has full liquor service and some of the best happy-tisers we have had.  It's a very nice venue up on the VCL deck with great sweeping views if you have not tried it.  Very good service as well.  

And yes, years ago the cocktail hour was specified as 21 years and older.  (It is a bar after all).  But due to some howling parents...they started allowing children into the lounges at cocktail hour (must be accompanied by parent).