Passports required for Bahamas??

15 minutes ago, nalrudaini said:

We are not US citizens, and were not asked for a passport or ID in the bahamas (that was either 2017 or 2018)

That is surprising. I have always had to show a picture ID to get back into the port area. And I have seen plenty of people detained who didn't have one.

• Like 1

How many boards are you going to post this same question to??? The cruise lines don't set passport requirements, they follow each country's rules. Seeing the same question on multiple boards is annoying and useless.

1 hour ago, nalrudaini said:

We are not US citizens, and were not asked for a passport or ID in the bahamas (that was either 2017 or 2018)

But you needed a passport to board the cruise didn’t you.  The op was asking if they needed a passport to take a cruise to the Bahamas not what they had to show in port.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

But you needed a passport to board the cruise didn’t you.  The op was asking if they needed a passport to take a cruise to the Bahamas not what they had to show in port.

I think that post was in response to post #3.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just as @Ocean Boy mentioned, I was replying to post #3. 

I do need my passport to board the ship.  When we are in port, I keep the passports in the sage, but I always carry my ID and the IDs for my wife and kids with me.  But I never had to show them - not even on the Bahamas.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

That is surprising. I have always had to show a picture ID to get back into the port area. And I have seen plenty of people detained who didn't have one.

Sometimes it matters when you return to the port. If you arrive shortly before the all aboard time when hundreds of people are boarding they won't ask for ID, they just wave everyone through.

10 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Same here. In our experience, Nassau is the most consistent port in asking to see a photo ID in order to approach the ship.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, you DO NOT NEED a passport to board the ship.   On a closed loop cruise a birth certificate is just fine!

Just as @Ocean Boy mentioned, I was replying to post #3. 

I do need my passport to board the ship.  When we are in port, I keep the passports in the sage, but I always carry my ID and the IDs for my wife and kids with me.  But I never had to show them - not even on the Bahamas.

Edited by skyking

6 minutes ago, skyking said:

Just to clarify, you DO NOT NEED a passport to board the ship.   On a closed loop cruise a birth certificate is just fine!

If one is a US citizen by birth and doing a closed loop cruise out of a US port.

None of the Caribbean Countries (including Bahamas/Bermuda) require passports for US citizens on a cruise (closed loop).  Do bring your DL to take ashore with you, as you should ALWAYS have ID on you wherever you go!

DL and BC are fine.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, skyking said:

Post #4. The OP is not a U.S. citizen. Does that change  anything that you wrote??

5 hours ago, nalrudaini said:

When we are in port, I keep the passports in the sage, but I always carry my ID and the IDs for my wife and kids with me.  But I never had to show them - not even on the Bahamas.

Where is this sage?  Are there cabins available with sage?  If so, which ones?

17 hours ago, skyking said:

Not true.

My SO needs her passport to board the ship.  Even on a closed loop cruise.

BTW, not everyone is a US citizen.  

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

A natural born US citizen.

However even a naturalized US citizen doesn't need a passport to take a closed loop Western Hemisphere cruise. They can use their Certificate of Naturalization in the same way a natural born US citizen can use their birth certificate. And if someone was a US citizen at birth but was born outside the US they can use their Consular Report of Birth Abroad for the same purpose as a person born in the US uses their birth certificate.

31 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

However even a naturalized US citizen doesn't need a passport to take a closed loop Western Hemisphere cruise. They can use their Certificate of Naturalization in the same way a natural born US citizen can use their birth certificate. And if someone was a US citizen at birth but was born outside the US they can use their Consular Report of Birth Abroad for the same purpose as a person born in the US uses their birth certificate.

I didn't say that a natualized US citizen needed a passport, just that a birth certificate alone was not sufficient.