Requesting a 2 top table

didugger

Can anyone tell me how to request a 2 top table on the glory. We sail 8/25 a week from today. My husband has a medical condition and problems swallowing. He needs to eat very slowly in order to prevent chocking. It’s very embarrassing to him. I have written John heald and the glory Maitre D. No one has answered. Thanks in advance for the help. 

Those 2 would be the suggestions I would have made to solve the issue before the cruise. But if you don't hear from them before next week, you can just go to the MDR when you board the ship where the Maitre d' is helping other folks with dining requests and they can take care of you.

I'm assuming you have early or late dining- if you have Your Time Dining you can ALWAYS request a 2 top when you check in. Depending on the time you're there, it may be a wait of a few minutes, but other than that, we do it all the time!

Edited by Shaded Lady
  • Thanks 1

One more comment about emailing John Heald- he was on vacation until late last week and may have missed your post. He specifically asks you to post on his FB page (as opposed to email) 4 days before your cruise for dining table requests, so maybe try again on Aug 21st?

• Thanks 2

If you emailed the Maitre'd, then you are likely all set.  They typically do not respond back, but I have never had a table request not honored.

Make sure and try to get a peek at your table when you board.

Good luck!

Brad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have not read any of your replies, and maybe someone else has already mentioned it.  I'm sorry for your husband's problem, and I have no clue what a 2 top table is.  I have a feeling if you contact the Maitred on your ship they will probably take care of it.  I have contacted my (we will not be cruising until March, and I thought it was too early) Maitred on the ship we are to do, and he replied right back!

47 minutes ago, beshears said:

I have not read any of your replies, and maybe someone else has already mentioned it.  I'm sorry for your husband's problem, and I have no clue what a 2 top table is.  I have a feeling if you contact the Maitred on your ship they will probably take care of it.  I have contacted my (we will not be cruising until March, and I thought it was too early) Maitred on the ship we are to do, and he replied right back!

A 2 top is a table for 2 people only.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crzndeb said:

As it seems there is a medical issue involved, and you want a set dining time, contact the Special Needs dept.  I used to do that to request a table for 2 at early dining, as dd has medical needs also.  However, my last 3 cruises I switched to your time dining, which has worked out fantastic for us walk in whenever we want and easily get a table for 2.

Edited by pe4all

I've emailed the Maitre D several times to make a request.  All were taken care of, though only one actually responded to the email.  Since you are leaving soon, I would assume that you have recently emailed your request.  If you made the request several weeks ago, I would send another in case the MD you emailed has gone on vacation.

Two top tables in many cases or only inches away from the next table.  I have requested a booth on three different ships and we were given a nice booth for 4 for just the two of us.  Very nice and gives you some privacy.  Have a great cruise!!

14 hours ago, Megmertz said:

what would the matr'd on the valors email be? I want to make sure that I have a two top for my cruise in september?

It is normally the first 2 letters of the ship's name followed by maitred@carnival.com  (ie Breeze is brmaitred@carnival.com.  Using a list previously posted, these are the exceptions to the rule:

The exceptions are:  Fascination   FS                               Splendor           SL

Inspiration     IS                                Magic                MC

Conquest       CQ                              Sunrise              SN

Sunshine       SH                               Vista                  VA

Freedom        FD                               Horizon             HZ

If I've missed any, hopefully someone will correct me.

Just remember that most two tops are not really that far from other tables and are by no means “private”. So if having a private table for medical concerns is needed, as another mentioned ask for a small booth. 

My mother had cancer and had 1/3 of her tongue removed, so I understand someone having issues with swallowing. She too takes her time eating. She is terrified of water so will never be caught dead on a cruise, but if she were to go with us we would do YTD and request a booth. That was she has as much privacy as you can get in public dining room, and as much time as she needs to eat. I would not do traditional dining as there is someone sitting in that table for late service, and for late service they need to turn tables for breakfast the next morning and just want to go to bed as soon as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Bookworm1985 said:

Just remember that most two tops are not really that far from other tables and are by no means “private”. So if having a private table for medical concerns is needed, as another mentioned ask for a small booth. 

My mother had cancer and had 1/3 of her tongue removed, so I understand someone having issues with swallowing. She too takes her time eating. She is terrified of water so will never be caught dead on a cruise, but if she were to go with us we would do YTD and request a booth. That was she has as much privacy as you can get in public dining room, and as much time as she needs to eat. I would not do traditional dining as there is someone sitting in that table for late service, and for late service they need to turn tables for breakfast the next morning and just want to go to bed as soon as possible.

Best response. The booths offer the most privacy.  

As the above poster stated, a two top is literally two inches from the tables next to it in some cases. Not private at all.  There are some exceptions. If you want a private table you should request a private table, not just a two top.

I also eat slow to avoid choking. Learned not to care what other people think. Better than dying. 

I think that the OP was requesting a 2 top so that they would not be inconveniencing the other diners if they had been assigned a larger table.  A 2 top a few inches from another 2 top still allows the pair to eat at their own pace and enjoy the meal without anyone else waiting for them to finish before the next course is served.

10 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

I think that the OP was requesting a 2 top so that they would not be inconveniencing the other diners if they had been assigned a larger table.  A 2 top a few inches from another 2 top still allows the pair to eat at their own pace and enjoy the meal without anyone else waiting for them to finish before the next course is served.

My experience with the close 2 tops on Carnival and Princess ships is that the waiters try to adjust the timing of people being seated at the close 2 tops so they end up on the same schedule. It really does end up feeling like you were just set at a large table at times.  Princess was much worse than Carnival.  We now just specifically ask for a both on the ships that have them.

Since becoming Diamond, I've been assigned to a discrete 2 top or a booth near the front of MDR every cruise.  Not something I asked for, since we often had great conversations and idea exchanges at an 8 top.

I don't know if other Diamonds are seated at 2 tops as a general policy, but if they are, then availability is subject to how many Diamonds are on that particular cruise.

We were assigned to the 2 tops in the back of the MDR once and didn't like those as much.  If we were to sit that close to others, we'd rather be at the same table.

14 hours ago, beshears said:

Thank you for telling me what a "two top" table was.  I have never heard that term before in all my cruising, unless it is a new term that has come out recently?

Not new, very common in restaurants and bars on and off a ship.

• Like 1

we always check when we get on the ship to see where we are sitting,  we also like a table for 2 so if it's not a 2 person table we have the Matrid d change it if possible.. after 18 cruises we have never been turned down for the change.

On our last anytime dining cruise, I always checked it'd be okay to sit with others in the app and they never would do it. We were always isolated. We prefer to be at bigger tables but we don't normally have friends that cruise with us.