Do you tip extra?

Thad409

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Between bar purchases and standard gratuities, we're already paying $200+ in just tips for the week. Meanwhile, you have people who remove their gratuities. So I've done my part. We have left extra before, but it is very rare. I'd rather leave a survey for those who have done well.

People think they are getting all of this extra special VIP attention for spending more money. I've almost always had great service

We paid extra right after our last meal. Not before.

They werent expecting it either. Handed over an envelope.

They deserved it. 

46 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

We paid extra right after our last meal. Not before.

I believe that what Joebucks meant was that they had left extra on previous occasions, not that they did it before they had received the service.

2 hours ago, mom says said:

I believe that what Joebucks meant was that they had left extra on previous occasions, not that they did it before they had received the service.

Ah right.

I also did the survey as well as leaving an extra tip and gave a glowing thank you to two people in particular whose names we got and learned quite a bit about them and their lives away from the cruise life.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 11:21 AM, Thad409 said:

We do your time dining so on our past cruises we would have a different waiter in the MDR on different nights on occasion, so I always would leave a cash tip on the table to show appreciation just encase we were seated in another area the following night with different waiters. Is this acceptable or should I just stick to the on board gratuity's that I pay. I most definitely always tip extra to a outstanding cabin Stewart that goes out of there way. Just curious.

Tipping is a very personal thing. By paying the daily service charge you have done at that you are required to do to take care of the crew. If you want to leave extra by all means do so, but you are under no obligation to leave gratuities.

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

Ah right.

I also did the survey as well as leaving an extra tip and gave a glowing thank you to two people in particular whose names we got and learned quite a bit about them and their lives away from the cruise life.

Darren - I know that you have not been on many cruises, but the cruise staff are experts in "telling a tale".  My  daughter's birthday is next week, my mother is sick, my birthday is to tomorrow.,  I'm saving up to go to college etc.  I just ignore all the stories.  Leave the autotips on, and that's it.  The staff are not your friends, will never be your friends, and you will be forgotten in an instant. 

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Darren - I know that you have not been on many cruises, but the cruise staff are experts in "telling a tale".  My  daughter's birthday is next week, my mother is sick, my birthday is to tomorrow.,  I'm saving up to go to college etc.  I just ignore all the stories.  Leave the autotips on, and that's it.  The staff are not your friends, will never be your friends, and you will be forgotten in an instant. 

Yep I get that.

And I have already forgotten them.

But they served us very well even if it was fake.

Mind you I have been married for 29 years and still get my wife to wear a name tag. 

17 hours ago, wowzz said:

I had a pedicure once and the lady doing it really way laying it on.  Her dad died when she was small and her mom and her had to work so hard.  Finally I had enough and said. "yes, my dad died when I was three.  I know it is hard, my mom had to do the same."  She didn't say another word after that.

Edited by sprint180

I do the auto tips and at the end of the cruise if I have cash left if our steward has been great I tip extra.  A couple of times I haven't though because they were not overly great.  Once we tipped the wait staff because they made my grandsons trip great.