Passenger from Norwegian Escape dies in Jetski accident

G.M.T.

Just seen a German report where a passinger from the Norwegian Escape died in a Jetski accident in Bermuda. So sad.

Article (in German):

https://www.schiffe-und-kreuzfahrten.de/news/norwegian-escape-passagierin-stirbt-bei-jetski-ausflug/186967/

PS. Sorry if this has already been posted, I did do a search before posting.

43 minutes ago, sirenitas said:

They always have to throw in the "an excursion organised independently".

Not really a bad move on NCLs part. With all of the heat that the cruise lines take from the media on every negative article they certainly had the right to point this out.

If they had not, the media would point out that the excursions were dangerous without pointing out that the excursion was not through NCL.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

Not really a bad move on NCLs part. With all of the heat that the cruise lines take from the media on every negative article they certainly had the right to point this out.

If they had not, the media would point out that the excursions were dangerous without pointing out that the excursion was not through NCL.

Not to mention that since she left the ship he is technically no longer "on the cruise" at that point.  I doubt an airline has any responsibility if someone gets hurt in an airport during a layover.

Edited by RedwingHockeyFan
  • Like 1

When I see something about an accident on an "independently arranged" tour I always remember our  Princess sponsored tour in Patagonia that was cancelled at the last minute because Princess inspected the tour boat and found it "unsafe."  My speculation is that the tour went on as scheduled for non-Princess tourists. 

Yes, I realize that probably 999 times out of a thousand nothing would go wrong, and I also know we spend more for the ships' tours, but I consider that extra money to be insurance. 

Edited by gooch47

21 minutes ago, gooch47 said:

When I see something about an accident on an "independently arranged" tour I always remember our  Princess sponsored tour in Patagonia that was cancelled at the last minute because Princess inspected the tour boat and found it "unsafe."  My speculation is that the tour went on as scheduled for non-Princess tourists. 

Yes, I realize that probably 999 times out of a thousand nothing would go wrong, and I also know we spend more for the ships' tours, but I consider that extra money to be insurance. 

I’d trust a private excursion in Bermuda, it’s not a poor country. NCL probably used the same vendors, just charges more. This looks like a freak accident, she fell off of the back.

Go checkout the Port Bermuda webcam, streaming live ... the "parade" of jetski continued and the Gem is docked there along with RCL, earlier I watched a group of them doing figures 8 among other fancy moves.  I am sure the operators issued safety tips & guidelines but ... 

Short on details about how & what, whether medical, speed and/or impairment issues, etc. - and/or if someone choose to ignore common sense - not surprised that no CC'er on that cruise posted anything since returning (doesn't seemed like OP was on the Escape ...)  Just let it go & respect family's privacy & to grieve, etc.  Best we can do is to offer our sincere thoughts & prayers.  

A "Jetski" is a motorcycle at sea - some of the same hazardous conditions falling off - maybe not road rash

but falling into the jet exhaust wake inhaling too much water.

These things were designed to be used in shallow waters not open sea.

Speeds of over 30 mph can be attained and they can turn on a dime.

Only the driver has something to latch onto (steering yoke) - passengers have to hold on to the driver (tightly).

Sad for all involved - - - - -

• Like 1

We were on the Escape on the 8/4 sailing and commented to each other about the jet ski excursions.  The leader would zoom off and only the experienced ones would follow right behind him.  The other ones trailed way far behind and often had issues.  We only saw the leader come back to help once when the girls were yelling for help and waving their arms.

I personally would not do this if I had not done this before.  They bounced so hard that it hurt watching.

So sad this happened...

I was a passenger on a Jetski once in the 80's and vowed to never do it again as I had a very insecure feeling of constantly flying off even though I was hanging onto the driver (future husband) for dear life... it was terrifying and he wasn't even going all that fast or making crazy turns.  

Fast forward 30 years... I went Jetskiing again as part of a NCL organized excursion on their private island and made darn sure I had my own so I could hang on those steering handles/throttle.  Those suckers can fly and it's very easy to see how someone... especially a passenger... could fall off and get seriously injured/killed in an accident. 

What a tragic way to end a what was supposed to be a happy vacation.

Edited by lgdesign
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

Just seen a German report where a passinger from the Norwegian Escape died in a Jetski accident in Bermuda. So sad.

Article (in German):

https://www.schiffe-und-kreuzfahrten.de/news/norwegian-escape-passagierin-stirbt-bei-jetski-ausflug/186967/

PS. Sorry if this has already been posted, I did do a search before posting.

I just SAW that earlier.  Sad.

On the day that this person died on the jet-ski, about 151,500 other people died around the world. So let's put this in a little perspective shall we.

If it's your time to go, it would be better to go while on a vacation than getting hit by a bus going to work. or dying from a long term illness, or being shot by some random nut-job. The big guy or girl upstairs can take me right after I finally score a hole-in-one on the golf course, or while making love to my lovely wife on our fortieth wedding anniversary (I'd be happier if it was the 50th or 60th 😉) or while enjoying myself on vacation.  

BTW, while I wrote this another 2,000 people around the world died.

19 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

A "Jetski" is a motorcycle at sea - some of the same hazardous conditions falling off - maybe not road rash

but falling into the jet exhaust wake inhaling too much water.

These things were designed to be used in shallow waters not open sea.

Speeds of over 30 mph can be attained and they can turn on a dime.

Only the driver has something to latch onto (steering yoke) - passengers have to hold on to the driver (tightly).

Sad for all involved - - - - -

Speeds over 30, heck, we can get over 70 on ours.  Seeing most of the models in Bermuda probably in the 50 mph range unless speed is limited.