Hurricane Dorian talk

FLL closed at noon today.

Westjet has cancelled their flights there through September 3rd. Their last flight was on August 31st.
As reported yesterday, Air Canada cancelled their flights there today September 2nd. Still currently schedule for September 3rd.

Nassau (NAS)
Westjet cancelled its flight there and back today, September 2nd. The next scheduled flight is tomorrow, September 3rd.
Air Canada cancelled its flight there and back today, September 2nd. The next scheduled flight is on Wednesday, September 4th.

Orlando (MCO)
Westjet has cancelled its flights through September 3rd.
Air Canada has one flight each to Toronto and Montreal this evening, September 2nd. No change to its schedule the rest of the week so far.

7 hours ago, orville99 said:

On our cabin door this morning. Looks like bussing from another port is plan b😱

NCL is doing this for both the Breakaway and the Sun - they're heading to New Orleans now. I can imagine HUGE logistical issues with 5000+ cruisers trying to get home from a different port :classic_sad:

From the NCL site:

We have been in close communication with government and local port authorities as to the earliest Norwegian Breakaway would be able return to Miami, Florida.  Due to the uncertainty of when the port will reopen, the cruise will conclude in New Orleans, Louisiana on September 3

We have been in close communication with government and local port authorities as to the earliest Norwegian Sun would be able return to Port Canaveral, Florida.  Due to the uncertainty of when the port will reopen, the cruise will conclude in New Orleans, Louisiana on September 3. 

Edited by SeaHunt
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

NCL is doing this for both the Breakaway and the Sun - they're heading to New Orleans now. I can imagine HUGE logistical issues with 5000+ cruisers trying to get home from a different port :classic_sad:

From the NCL site:

We have been in close communication with government and local port authorities as to the earliest Norwegian Breakaway would be able return to Miami, Florida.  Due to the uncertainty of when the port will reopen, the cruise will conclude in New Orleans, Louisiana on September 3

We have been in close communication with government and local port authorities as to the earliest Norwegian Sun would be able return to Port Canaveral, Florida.  Due to the uncertainty of when the port will reopen, the cruise will conclude in New Orleans, Louisiana on September 3. 

Wow that's a serious blow, not just a different port but a different state !  

5 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Does anybody know whether they have a hurricane shelter on Coco Cay?  Where would they put all those chairs during this hurricane?  I would assume they take the balloon away also but where would they put it?

I am positive but hoping I am wrong, Coco Cay will have alot of damage from Hurricane Dorian, I am booked on October 14th on the Navigator and going to assume I won't be going to Coco Cay because of the damage?  Anybody know where they dock now in place of Coco Cay, any guesses?  I will be on the Harmony in January and I would assume she be all good by then.

Just wished we had some news about Coco Cay and this hurricane, but I realize its pounding the heck out of the Bahamas and nobody knows.  Wonder, if any workers stood on the island?  Disney kept their workers there and claim they have a hurricane shelter on the island there that withstands a Cat 5 hurricane, wonder if RC has one on Coco Cay?

EDeiBKmWsAAVsYgThe balloon is deflated and under weights

EDeiBKoX4AA6jJL?format=jpg&name=mediumEDeiBKmWsAAVsYg?format=jpg&name=medium

EDeiBKoX4AA6jJL.jpg

EDeiBKmWsAAVsYg.jpg

EDeiBKnWsAEZW6h.jpg

On 9/1/2019 at 10:27 AM, Maverick61 said:

No way in the world you are going to Coco Cay next week.  Sorry.  I am doubtful it will be up and running for my cruise in late October.  A category 5 hurricane hitting the Abacos is no joke.  Yes, the island will still be there.  But it will need to be rebuilt

Nope, fortunately wrong. Looks like wont take long before ships return...

First look at CocoCay following Hurricane Dorian

IN: 
By: 
Matt Hochberg

With Hurricane Dorian moving through the Bahamas, we have our first look at how the island has been relatively spared thus far.

Royal Caribbean Chief Meteorologist James Van Fleet shared photos, which indicate good news that the private island in The Bahamas did not incur a large damage.

VERY pleased to report that #Coco didn’t #Gogo away!! New pics are 1) Waterslides and 2) where the Balloon is located (it’s deflated and under weights in the center 3) Radar comparison of the eye and CocoCay location. Waaay to close. I’m just sick over Grand Bahama though!

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Royal Caribbean's private island was once named Little Stirrup Cay located in the chain of the Berry Islands.  The Berry Island Archipelago is located about 55 miles north of Nassau

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Nope, fortunately wrong. Looks like wont take long before ships return...

thankfully yes,  I don't mind being wrong.  That said, still not sure it will be fully open next week, that still seems ambitious.  A lot of it is under a little water right now from the pics.  But should be a quicker clean up time if RCL can get the workers there (and that will be the biggest challenge since I assume most of the locals who work on Coca Cay live on one of the two islands that took the brunt and thus are dealing with their own issues

Edited by Maverick61
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

And a very long bus ride to Miami.

Have they even thought this through?  850+ miles, if each bus holds 60 people, how many bus would be needed to bus most (some) of the passengers from Breakaway and the Sun?  It's just crazy.

5 minutes ago, Glide_Path said:

Have they even thought this through?  850+ miles, if each bus holds 60 people, how many bus would be needed to bus most (some) of the passengers from Breakaway and the Sun?  It's just crazy.

Did they say it would be done by bus?  I didn't see that.

Edited by time4u2go

3 minutes ago, Glide_Path said:

They could just... fly.  New Orleans has an airport. Its a matter of changing airline tickets.  Inconvenient, but nothing they aren't doing now with the delays.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maverick61 said:

thankfully yes,  I don't mind being wrong.  That said, still not sure it will be fully open next week.  A lot of it is under a little water right now from the pics.  But should be a quicker clean up time if RCL can get the workers there (and that will be the biggest challenge since I assume most of the locals who work on Coca Cay live on one of the two islands that took the brunt and thus are dealing with their own issues

Yes, over the last 30+ yrs have returned to many Hurricane ravaged Islands. They always have things up and running for us usually week at most month later, but even 5yr after see same Blue Tarps covering the locals houses. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

4 hours ago, MiamiSpartan said:

Thx. No changes as of yet. 

Sept 9 Navigator 

i do expect to see something after the storm passes and they’re able to assess the damage 

We are on your sailing, Sept 9th on the Navigator. I anticipate a departure from Miami as planned and now just waiting to see if we will be stopping anywhere in the Bahamas or will be diverted somewhere else for the two stops.

33 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

From the NCL site:

Will the next cruise be allowed to board at the new port? Like, would it continue "business as usual"?

18 minutes ago, tface023 said:

Will the next cruise be allowed to board at the new port? Like, would it continue "business as usual"?

Doesn't seem so because the next cruises were both cancelled (and that was a mess also!) so I guess they have some time to get the ships back to the correct ports.

Here's the thread by graphicguy on the NCL board reporting his experience - he went from excited to get to his cruise, to disappointment with the delay for the ship to return so he could board (after being told they would sail and flying to Miami), to anger with NCL about the serious lack of communication:

28 minutes ago, tface023 said:

No.  NCL has already cancelled the “next” sailing of the Breakaway, which was supposed to depart yesterday I believe.  I assume Breakaway will go back to Florida empty and be loaded with provisions for the “next-next” cruise sailing next weekend.  I will also say that by all accounts, RCL has handled this entire situation MUCH better than NCL.  

• Like 1

Such a sad situation in Grand Bahamas - can you imagine? Makes you feel so helpless, like during Katrina. 

Our winds are supposed to start tomorrow and I hope and pray our surge will not compare to anything like this.