Hurricane Dorian talk

9 hours ago, dodgestang said:

At some point realization sets in right?  You made your decision, there is no going back from it, and you resign yourself to either you live or you don't and there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it.  I know I wouldn't trust my house enough to stay in it.

My brother in law and his family opted to stay. They’ve rode out the last one without issue. Dorian is something else. They lost power around 11pm Sunday and had to be evacuated due to the water surge last night.  Grand Bahama has had to evacuate some shelters as well.  Talking to him, he’s cool as can be. They’re grateful to be safe and as he says it may take time but we can always rebuild. 

As inconvenient as this is for travellers, these are people’s homes and livelihoods. It’s terrifying. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

OMG that is horrifying to watch. How he remains so calm in his narration is unbelievable.

My dad kept us home in Hurricane Camille, a Cat 5. I think shock starts to set in and you just function. I was small, but remember the calm way the adults were discussing trying to swim to trees to tie us little ones into the trees if the house started to collapse. We were in the attic. I don’t think us kids spoke a word. 50 years later, I can still remember vividly. 

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, barbeyg said:

My dad kept us home in Hurricane Camille, a Cat 5. I think shock starts to set in and you just function. I was small, but remember the calm way the adults were discussing trying to swim to trees to tie us little ones into the trees if the house started to collapse. We were in the attic. I don’t think us kids spoke a word. 50 years later, I can still remember vividly. 

Where did you live then?  I also went through Hurricane Camille when it passes through Lower Louisiana.

14 minutes ago, SAS21 said:

Where did you live then?  I also went through Hurricane Camille when it passes through Lower Louisiana.

Biloxi, MS. On the Point, which is a peninsula.  Water came up on all three sides. We had 4.5 ft of water in the house, and were 18-20 ft above sea level. I imagine it was pretty awful in lower Louisiana too, especially with all the marshes. 

4 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Biloxi, MS. On the Point, which is a peninsula.  Water came up on all three sides. We had 4.5 ft of water in the house, and were 18-20 ft above sea level. I imagine it was pretty awful in lower Louisiana too, especially with all the marshes. 

Yes it was awful. My parents lost everything. The house exploded from the pressure, nothing left. We weren't in the house though, thank goodness. 

I am very familiar with Biloxi, we have friends that live in Bay St. Louis and Pass Christian. 

Edited by SAS21
  • Like 1

RCI customer service is a joke.  Does anyone have an email or a phone number for someone higher than a manager at a call center?  Last night I spent over an hour on the phone regarding the switch from mariner to Harmony. I was told because we are still losing a night we would get one nights worth of onboard credit, and our prepaid gratuities refunded back to the credit card for one night.  I also have that in writing from two different people. This morning we got our new reservation and it was not showing any onboard credit.   So I’ve spent two hours on the phone this morning and even though I emailed them where I had it in writing they are refusing to honor it. 

RCI customer service is a joke.  Does anyone have an email or a phone number for someone higher than a manager at a call center?  Last night I spent over an hour on the phone regarding the switch from mariner to Harmony. I was told because we are still losing a night we would get one nights worth of onboard credit, and our prepaid gratuities refunded back to the credit card for one night.  I also have that in writing from two different people. This morning we got our new reservation and it was not showing any onboard credit.   So I’ve spent two hours on the phone this morning and even though I emailed them where I had it in writing they are refusing to honor it. 

2 minutes ago, JTJT1 said:

If it is going back to your credit card it will likely take days before you get it back.  Just a guess though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MandyMooToo said:

If it is going back to your credit card it will likely take days before you get it back.  Just a guess though.

The phone representative and the updated reservation shows that they rolled all of the prepaid grats into the cruise fare itself. I spoke with a manager over the phone and she told me we would not be getting any amount refunded

Just now, JTJT1 said:

The phone representative and the updated reservation shows that they rolled all of the prepaid grats into the cruise fare itself. I spoke with a manager over the phone and she told me we would not be getting any amount refunded

Oooh, okay, I see what you are saying now.  Sorry, I misunderstood.  I would try emailing up the chain. 

9 hours ago, korpo024 said:

I wonder how they got those photos. Webcam? 

We visited Disney’s Castaway Cay after a hurricane a few years back - granted nowhere near as powerful as Dorian. They had it cleaned up quickly but many of the trees were damaged and most of the vegetation was browned by the salt water.

Hopefully Royal will be able to support those employees who live on Abaco.