Hurricane Dorian talk

@bclinton I would venture to say it is not safe to assume anything! You have a couple days to contact them. I would do so, and insist on confirmation in writing of their receipt of your cancellation. I might even confirm it by sending them a copy of that email with your handwritten notes of your conversation (including time of call and the name of the rep with whom you speak). But I go a little overboard (eek!) with these things.

Maybe it is time for you to start celebrating your anniversaries on your engagement date? 🍾🥳

55 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Does anybody know whether they have a hurricane shelter on Coco Cay?  Where would they put all those chairs during this hurricane?  I would assume they take the balloon away also but where would they put it?

I am positive but hoping I am wrong, Coco Cay will have alot of damage from Hurricane Dorian, I am booked on October 14th on the Navigator and going to assume I won't be going to Coco Cay because of the damage?  Anybody know where they dock now in place of Coco Cay, any guesses?  I will be on the Harmony in January and I would assume she be all good by then.

Just wished we had some news about Coco Cay and this hurricane, but I realize its pounding the heck out of the Bahamas and nobody knows.  Wonder, if any workers stood on the island?  Disney kept their workers there and claim they have a hurricane shelter on the island there that withstands a Cat 5 hurricane, wonder if RC has one on Coco Cay?

We don't really know yet, but if Coco Cay is out of commission in October, I would guess you'll get either an extra sea day, more time in Nassau, or both.  We're supposed to be there on October 13 on Mariner.

25 minutes ago, islandwannabee said:

On allure now and received this on our door. 

I see that your 8day turned into an 11day cruise, with extra stops in Roatan Honduras and Costa Maya MX, and now you'll have 2 sea days before returning to Ft Lauderdale on Wednesday (hopefully!).

How has this itinerary change worked out for you?  Any issues with that delayed return? (I see you're from FL)

Did you enjoy those two additional ports of call?  And let us know what the crew comes up with for activities on that extra sea day...

In the meantime we're praying for everyone affected by Dorian this week...

Edited by Ready2SailAway

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Does anybody know whether they have a hurricane shelter on Coco Cay?  Where would they put all those chairs during this hurricane?  I would assume they take the balloon away also but where would they put it?

I am positive but hoping I am wrong, Coco Cay will have alot of damage from Hurricane Dorian, I am booked on October 14th on the Navigator and going to assume I won't be going to Coco Cay because of the damage?  Anybody know where they dock now in place of Coco Cay, any guesses?  I will be on the Harmony in January and I would assume she be all good by then.

Just wished we had some news about Coco Cay and this hurricane, but I realize its pounding the heck out of the Bahamas and nobody knows.  Wonder, if any workers stood on the island?  Disney kept their workers there and claim they have a hurricane shelter on the island there that withstands a Cat 5 hurricane, wonder if RC has one on Coco Cay?

They have a shelter for the Approx 6 RCCL staffers that stay on the island during the hurricane.  Expect a big tree replanting effort when they get back to operations.  Funny here, Disney gets hit but the other lines are keeping quite about the people on their private islands.

11 hours ago, theEvilQueen2 said:

RCL has plenty of money to rebuild and will do it in a hurry.

I expect they will, but frankly would be seriously disappointed if RC's rebuilding and economic clout diverted resources and labor from Abaco and Grand Bahama.

• Like 2

Hurricane Dorian Discussion Number  37
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL052019
1100 AM EDT Mon Sep 02 2019

Satellite and radar imagery show that Dorian is moving very slowly
over Grand Bahama Island this morning.  The hurricane remains quite
symmetric and still exhibits a very well-defined eye, but there is
somewhat less evidence of concentric eyewalls in Bahamas radar
imagery.  Satellite intensity estimates from UW/CIMSS, SAB, and
TAFB are slightly lower this morning, and the initial intensity has
been reduced to 135 kt.  As Dorian moves very slowly during the
next 24 hours, some upwelling in the deeper waters around the
Bahamas could cause some gradual weakening. After that time, the
hurricane is expected to experience a gradual increase in
southwesterly shear, which should lead to a slow decrease in wind
speed.  However, Dorian is forecast to remain a very powerful
hurricane while it moves near the southeastern United States coast.
The NHC intensity forecast is close to the statistical guidance
during the first day or so, then near the HFIP corrected consensus
model later in the period.

As anticipated, the ridge to the north of the storm has weakened
and the eye of Dorian has only been inching westward this morning.
The hurricane is expected to drift westward or west-northwestward
over the next 24 hours, which will cause a prolonged period of
devastating winds and storm surge over Grand Bahama Island. By late
Tuesday, the weakness in the ridge becomes more pronounced and
Dorian should turn northwestward near the east coast of the Florida.
By day 3, the hurricane is expected to make a northeastward turn
ahead of a broad mid-latitude trough.  The overall track envelope
has not changed much, and little adjustment to the previous NHC
forecast was required.

It cannot be stressed enough that only a small deviation to the
left of the NHC forecast could bring the core of the extremely
dangerous hurricane onshore of the Florida east coast within the
hurricane warning area.  In addition, Dorian's wind field is
predicted to expand, which would bring hurricane-force winds closer
to the east coast of Florida even if the track does change.

Key Messages:

1. A prolonged period of catastrophic winds and storm surge will
continue to affect Grand Bahama Island through today and tonight.
Everyone there should remain in shelter and not venture into the
eye.

2. Life-threatening storm surge and dangerous hurricane-force winds
are expected along portions of the Florida east coast and Georgia
coast, regardless of the exact track of Dorian's center. Water
levels could begin to rise well in advance of the arrival of strong
winds. Residents in these areas should follow advice given by local
emergency officials.

3. The risk of life-threatening storm surge and hurricane-force
winds continues to increase along the coasts of South Carolina and
North Carolina. Residents in these areas should follow advice given
by local emergency officials.

4. Heavy rains, capable of producing life-threatening flash floods,
are expected over northern portions of the Bahamas and coastal
sections of the Southeast and lower Mid-Atlantic regions of the
United States into Friday.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT  02/1500Z 26.8N  78.3W  135 KT 155 MPH
 12H  03/0000Z 26.9N  78.7W  130 KT 150 MPH
 24H  03/1200Z 27.2N  79.1W  125 KT 145 MPH
 36H  04/0000Z 28.1N  79.6W  115 KT 130 MPH
 48H  04/1200Z 29.3N  80.2W  110 KT 125 MPH
 72H  05/1200Z 32.0N  79.4W   95 KT 110 MPH
 96H  06/1200Z 35.4N  75.1W   85 KT 100 MPH
120H  07/1200Z 40.7N  66.8W   75 KT  85 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP

$$
Forecaster Brown

12 minutes ago, Ready2SailAway said:

I see that your 8day turned into an 11day cruise, with extra stops in Roatan Honduras and Costa Maya MX, and now you'll have 2 sea days before returning to Ft Lauderdale on Wednesday (hopefully!).

How has this itinerary change worked out for you?  Any issues with that delayed return? (I see you're from FL) 

Did you enjoy those two additional ports of call?  And let us know what the crew comes up with for activities on that extra sea day...

In the meantime we're praying for everyone affected by Dorian this week...

I cruise often so the itinerary change was no big deal for me, I live in the Tampa area. Yes they have activities and brought on new entertainment, Toni Tillman, he was great!! I am having an awesome time!!

The only think I’m a little worried about is my care parked in lot ground level with no cover, I have insurance of course, but it’s just the logistics of it all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I wonder if Royal has State Farm?

I saw they are covering Cheryl's She Shed.

Maybe we will get a new "She Sheer She Shed". I hope we will not need it!!! I'm scheduled to be on Coco Cay this Sunday and I just got an email today from Royal Up congratulating me on my upgrade. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, MiamiSpartan said:

Sadly, Coco Cay is probably getting raked now. Supposed to be there Wednesday...Don’t think that’ll happen. 

Wondering if they’ll switch itinerary to Cozumel instead of the Bahamas 

Which cruise are you on?  You can find your updated itinerary here - https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

29 minutes ago, lynaberk said:

Little talk about Canadian Cruise

However if we depart as scheduled on 9/6/19 it is predicted to be in  DANGEROUS SEAS!

waiting for alert from RCCL. It would not be prudent to venture into that situation...

As a passenger of the March 14 Viking Sky sailing, I know all about it. I'm sure RCCL will do the right thing (though will always question the judgement to sail past Hustadvika on 3/23). Be safe and wishing you the best. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

20 minutes ago, Ready2SailAway said:

Which cruise are you on?  You can find your updated itinerary here - https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

Thx. No changes as of yet. 

Sept 9 Navigator 

i do expect to see something after the storm passes and they’re able to assess the damage 

8 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

As a passenger of the March 14 Viking Sky sailing, I know all about it. I'm sure RCCL will do the right thing (though will always question the judgement to sail past Hustadvika on 3/23). Be safe and wishing you the best. 

My sister’s boss was on that ship too. 

😢

41 minutes ago, lynaberk said:

Little talk about Canadian Cruise

However if we depart as scheduled on 9/6/19 it is predicted to be in  DANGEROUS SEAS!

waiting for alert from RCCL. It would not be prudent to venture into that situation...

"it is predicted to be in  DANGEROUS SEAS"....I would like to ask you where this came from??

• Like 1

On Monday, 2 Sept at 8 a.m., Port Canaveral was put into Condition Zulu, which means it is CLOSED.

We were supposed to be on the 2 Sept Mariner, which was pushed back to 4 Sept, and then do a B2B on 6 Sept. RCCI’s update last night said we would still be leaving on the 4th and that cruises on the 6th are not affected. 

RCCI won’t update again until tonight.

With the Port closed, it seems useless to stay and rack up additional hotel/food bills.

We bailed and are driving home to N.C. Didn’t want to get stuck in Florida! 

3 minutes ago, DingoMom said:

On Monday, 2 Sept at 8 a.m., Port Canaveral was put into Condition Zulu, which means it is CLOSED.

We were supposed to be on the 2 Sept Mariner, which was pushed back to 4 Sept, and then do a B2B on 6 Sept. RCCI’s update last night said we would still be leaving on the 4th and that cruises on the 6th are not affected. 

RCCI won’t update again until tonight.

With the Port closed, it seems useless to stay and rack up additional hotel/food bills.

We bailed and are driving home to N.C. Didn’t want to get stuck in Florida! 

Travel safety, guess you are going to see some traffic.   Florida has a 511 site to tell you about traffic on your route.

There are two groups of dedicated people who are often forgotten in an emergency like this.

1) All the employees that are at gas stations, grocery stores, convenience stores etc. If these businesses are open it's because someone who probably isn't making much money is working so you can get your supplies, food, and gas. They can't evacuate until they are told they can leave their jobs and they are probably worried sick about their families. Don't blame them because the store is out of water or gas - they have no control over what is in stock and what isn't. Please be patient and kind to them. Say thank you. It really helps.

2) Utility workers. There are thousands of utility workers who are driving INTO the storm zone so they will be available to get your power on as soon as possible. They are leaving families behind to drive hundreds, if not thousands, of miles to help. After the storm passes and you see them working, bring them iced tea or coffee or a cookie. Thank them for their service. You may be frustrated, but they are doing they best they can on very little sleep.

Thanks for reading!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Thx. We left Really early this morning. The Interstate (26) from Charleston to Columbia SC is already contra-flow: all lanes Westbound. Safety first, I understand...but RCCI’s refusal to make the Right decision appears to me to put more people in danger by beckoning them to come to (or stay in) Central Florida for a cruise that will likely not sail. Just my 2 cents!! 😎

12 minutes ago, Susan in Maine said:

There are two groups of dedicated people who are often forgotten in an emergency like this.

1) All the employees that are at gas stations, grocery stores, convenience stores etc. If these businesses are open it's because someone who probably isn't making much money is working so you can get your supplies, food, and gas. They can't evacuate until they are told they can leave their jobs and they are probably worried sick about their families. Don't blame them because the store is out of water or gas - they have no control over what is in stock and what isn't. Please be patient and kind to them. Say thank you. It really helps.

2) Utility workers. There are thousands of utility workers who are driving INTO the storm zone so they will be available to get your power on as soon as possible. They are leaving families behind to drive hundreds, if not thousands, of miles to help. After the storm passes and you see them working, bring them iced tea or coffee or a cookie. Thank them for their service. You may be frustrated, but they are doing they best they can on very little sleep.

Thanks for reading!

What a lovely post xx 😊👍🏼

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I know this is funny, however, I have been a State Farm customer since I turned 18 and bought my first car in 1967, since then , more and more cars, trucks, boats, 2 homes and they have been there for me if I needed them.  When Hurricane Michael hit us on Oct.10, 2018, I filed a claim and immediately we had 2 adjusters come to our house and spend over 4 hours assessing our damages.  In a few weeks we received 1 check to get started buying tarps and things to protect our property and in another week or two, we received a very large check to start repairing and replacing, then as projects got repaired or replaced we sent the completed invoice and was reimbursed  for the actual cash value, no depreciation .  Also got checks for the Toyota truck and the Hyundai Sonata.  We got contents check also,  My She Shed was split in half , so I got a new She Shed for $10,000 built on my property.  I am 71 years old and will probably die being a State Farm customer,
Insert other media.url

I live in a large townhouse community. A few weeks ago a townhouse in the group next to me had a major fire. My home was not affected but State Farm called and checked that I was ok and that my hour was. The agent talked me through checking outside and inside just Incase something was damaged. I wouldn’t have even thought they would call or it would register since it was about 6 homes away and not attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2