Hurricane Dorian talk

10 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

If you mean the Passenger Vessel Services Act, yes, there are provisions for emergencies.

And I doubt that they would want to divert to Texas,  rather than simply return to a functioning port a few days late.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Maverick61 said:

Right in the red zone about 60 miles south west of the eye

tropical1.jpg

CoCoCay isn't taking a direct hit. So the difference of just 1 mile is big. Much less even 10 miles which can make a HUGE difference w/ wind & rain. I'm more worried about the storm surge and massive flooding than anything else. Clean up is going to take a small army of people and equipment to get that place ready to safely entertain vacationers. 

1 minute ago, mayleeman said:

And I doubt that they would want to divert to Texas,  rather than simply return to a functioning port a few days late.

Agree, though Royal has done this before, in Reverse (Florida/Texas), before allowing some get off sooner then returning to starting point with rest of Passengers

Aside from Cococay, Disney's Castaway Cay seems to be in even more of a perilous place. I also heard Disney chose not to evacuate their employees off the island because they want people there to clean up after the storm ASAP. One of the employees mom was on Disney cruise forum chewing out DCL.

4 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

CoCoCay isn't taking a direct hit. So the difference of just 1 mile is big. Much less even 10 miles which can make a HUGE difference w/ wind & rain. I'm more worried about the storm surge and massive flooding than anything else. Clean up is going to take a small army of people and equipment to get that place ready to safely entertain vacationers. 

Correct - not a direct hit from the eye, but still plenty of wind damage and more importantly storm surge which could do a lot of damage and require a massive cleanup before reopening

32 minutes ago, Tagsalong said:

The eye is now over Marsh Harbour and Elbow Cay.  Coco Cay is 71 miles (115 KM) to the south and will be spared the worst of it.

Marsh Harbour  26.5242° N, 77.0910° W

Coco Cay  25.8179° N, 77.9389° W

data=DCrrRvFUC4u0YXxZagXxMvTkCYWbU4rK_n70JCKV_3RbDi4OwA5JkMLz4Ceu7az3ytYwT7twTFHIdYGEHS5WWvWkCPgF4WwM6yxgTV5OvdCLdDR4iqzLwNL5xjzNMlK-3oQqEjLMEn1TESnnb5y44qtC5XVfczzPGryC9qY1macvKlIH4j9uSOSyZZ_Y-jdtxGreq0HgVmEkS9b2GiUlyg_m2KdS2h5fk5kukAu7SmA1dYBDIkMyZY7eeASEEcX0jr8OTw

It may depend on the width of the eyewall and how far out the hurricane force winds extend from the eye. For example Hurricane Katrina which hit where I live had an eyewall 37 miles wide with the hurricane force winds extending 120 miles from the eye. While the eye did not make landfall right over where I live, it did make landfall 50 miles away. 71 miles it not a lot of distance when to comes to hurricanes.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Here’s the 2PM update from the National Hurricane Center.

10 miles is nothing in a storm of this magnitude.

HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 45 MILES (75 KM) FROM THE CENTER AND TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 140 MILES (220 KM).

42 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Except this is more than a few days late, now. This is a week late. Most on the ship have lives. They need to get home ASAP. If they don’t get back until next Sunday, I’m not sure if some will be coming back to jobs. 

3 minutes ago, LadyBeBop said:

Except this is more than a few days late, now. This is a week late. Most on the ship have lives. They need to get home ASAP. If they don’t get back until next Sunday, I’m not sure if some will be coming back to jobs. 

Highly doubtful anyone would lose a job over this. PR would be incredibly bad 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Highly doubtful anyone would lose a job over this. PR would be incredibly bad 

And I would be the first to complain. 

(Signed a nervous mama with her daughter on the ship). 

Changing course:  Per the 11 AM National Weather Service advisory, there is only a 6 percent chance of tropical storm winds in Fort Lauderdale from Tuesday into Wednesday. And a 0 percent chance Wednesday into Thursday. Isn’t that good enough for the Allure to head back home?

17 minutes ago, LadyBeBop said:

On HOTS, people who needed to could have left the ship in Cozumel to fly home.  A small number did.

I am sure anyone who needed to contacted their employer and let them know of a delayed return.  It isn't like Dorian has not been in the news

Edited by Maverick61
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tagsalong said:

The eye is now over Marsh Harbour and Elbow Cay.  Coco Cay is 71 miles (115 KM) to the south and will be spared the worst of it.

Marsh Harbour  26.5242° N, 77.0910° W

Coco Cay  25.8179° N, 77.9389° W

data=DCrrRvFUC4u0YXxZagXxMvTkCYWbU4rK_n70JCKV_3RbDi4OwA5JkMLz4Ceu7az3ytYwT7twTFHIdYGEHS5WWvWkCPgF4WwM6yxgTV5OvdCLdDR4iqzLwNL5xjzNMlK-3oQqEjLMEn1TESnnb5y44qtC5XVfczzPGryC9qY1macvKlIH4j9uSOSyZZ_Y-jdtxGreq0HgVmEkS9b2GiUlyg_m2KdS2h5fk5kukAu7SmA1dYBDIkMyZY7eeASEEcX0jr8OTw

15-20 ft storm surge is the bigger of the threats to coco cay, and the hurricane force winds now extend more than 100 miles from the eye, so she gets both wind and surge.

2 hours ago, LadyBeBop said:

Is cruising to Houston (arriving Tuesday or Wednesday) an option?  Let people off there?  Yes, I know it runs afoul of the  Maritime Merchants Act.   But don’t they give waivers for unusual circumstances?

Not sure whether they can handle an oasis class ship, and what do they do with 5000+ passengers that originated in Florida?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Not sure whether they can handle an oasis class ship, and what do they do with 5000+ passengers that originated in Florida?

Agreed. At most we could end up going into Miami or Fort Lauderdale and have people be bused back to Port Canaveral. We have been kept very well addressed on the ship, with the weather channel is running 24/7 with hurricane updates.

People were able to leave today as well as yesterday from Cozumel if they so wish. Yesterday in fact 260 people left the ship. I’ll see if I can find out how many went home today.

Even coming in Wednesday or the possibility of Thursday still does not make us a week late.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Agreed. At most we could end up going into Miami or Fort Lauderdale and have people be bused back to Port Canaveral. We have been kept very well addressed on the ship, with the weather channel is running 24/7 with hurricane updates.

People were able to leave today as well as yesterday from Cozumel if they so wish. Yesterday in fact 260 people left the ship. I’ll see if I can find out how many went home today.

Even coming in Wednesday or the possibility of Thursday still does not make us a week late.

I’m talking about the Allure, not the Harmony.  The Allure was scheduled back to Port Everglades today. 

Did the Harmony sail out of Port Canaveral?

28 minutes ago, orville99 said:

15-20 ft storm surge is the bigger of the threats to coco cay, and the hurricane force winds now extend more than 100 miles from the eye, so she gets both wind and surge.

Such exaggeration.  I know you mean well but Coco Cay will have minimal damage.

As was posted above: "HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 45 MILES (75 KM) FROM THE CENTER AND TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 140 MILES (220 KM)."  And tropical storm winds will not damage Coco Cay.

Storm surge will be 1 to 2 feet if that.   Look at the Nassau webcam and it's like no hurricane was even out there.  And it is in the outer bands similar to Coco Cay.

https://www.portnassauwebcam.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1