Hurricane Dorian

BlueHerons

1 minute ago, BigEasyCC said:

We live down river from New Orleans and always freeze several gallons of tap water at the beginning of Hurricane season. It helps keep your food cold and as it melts, more drinkable water.

That's right.  And the more you have in your freezer, the longer it stays cooler.  We have generators so it's not much of an issue with power, though.  But we will still fill up our freezer empty space with water.

19 hours ago, BNBR said:

You would think the faucet didn't already have potable water.  It always blows me away watching the poor planners scurrying around like crazies a couple of days before a hurricane.  It's as if they weren't aware that Florida get hurricanes...

High rises may turn the water off along with other services so the faucet doesn't work!  And Naples had a lot of water issues  for quite a while in many areas after Irma and many had none!  

29 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

High rises may turn the water off along with other services so the faucet doesn't work!  And Naples had a lot of water issues  for quite a while in many areas after Irma and many had none!  

Sorry, I should have written that better. The faucets work before the hurricane and you can fill up all the containers you want.  I would think after a couple hurricanes, people would stock containers! And keep a couple of filters handy like Life Straws or similar. 

11 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Sorry, I should have written that better. The faucets work before the hurricane and you can fill up all the containers you want.  I would think after a couple hurricanes, people would stock containers! And keep a couple of filters handy like Life Straws or similar. 

My son for instance lives in a studio, no space to store stocked up containers!  

Hope you and your family stay safe. 

We have been through many hurricanes unfortunately from Charley and Wilma etc. while living in our home in Naples to Irma here.  I personally hate this time of year!

4 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

My son for instance lives in a studio, no space to store stocked up containers!  

Hope you and your family stay safe. 

We have been through many hurricanes unfortunately from Charley and Wilma etc. while living in our home in Naples to Irma here.  I personally hate this time of year!

Cheap cruises! 

Your son can get 5 gallon collapsable containers. 

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

We took a cruise out of Miami when hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. Sure we were lucky. We got to cruise. I guess cruise you take that chance around hurricane season when prices are cheaper. Sure we all hate it when our cruises just don't  go as planned. It may disrupt travel. There is nothing we can do about. Especially on a holiday weekend like Labor Day. 

Please be safe to everyone who is traveling and cruising.Prayers go out to all in FLORIDA.

Edited by korr2

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:20 PM, voljeep said:

check back in about 48 hours ( 5pm Sat ) for a much better when , where, and at what strength - currently projected as a Cat 4 - 135 mph

still selfishly hoping that the high pressure weakens and Dorian takes a big swing to the NE - a very common path for prior hurricanes

my weatherman just took off his coat ... I'll get really concerned when the tie come off, and sleeves rolled up

and yes ... we've got gas, water , some ice, flashlights , etc, etc, etc ready

still selfishly hoping that the high pressure weakens and Dorian takes a big swing to the NE - a very common path for prior hurricanes

yep

I know the national media likes to hype things up a bit, but landfall on Florida is looking very unlikely right now. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are pretty much in the clear. Unless there is a drastic change at 11am advisory I am not even putting up shutters. 

Central Florida east coast looks like it will get some nasty weather but not a direct hit. 

The NW Bahamas will get a terrible storm though and South Carolina now is in its path. 

1 hour ago, Flymia said:

I know the national media likes to hype things up a bit, but landfall on Florida is looking very unlikely right now. Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are pretty much in the clear. Unless there is a drastic change at 11am advisory I am not even putting up shutters. 

Central Florida east coast looks like it will get some nasty weather but not a direct hit. 

The NW Bahamas will get a terrible storm though and South Carolina now is in its path. 

Figures. I actually managed to get a generator on Thursday. 🙄

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, BNBR said:

That's right.  And the more you have in your freezer, the longer it stays cooler.  We have generators so it's not much of an issue with power, though.  But we will still fill up our freezer empty space with water.

Such a great idea!  I filled several zip lock bags with water and frozen them, much easier than empting the ice cube maker into bags everyday.. Thanks to the OP for the great tip.

22 hours ago, rucruisn2 said:

Don't ask my why, but since we moved down here (Palm Beach) We don't drink the tap water, make coffee with it or cook with it.  Just doesn't taste good.  We have water on hand, but certainly not 25 cases!  Looks like we'll be eating lots of cold food. Their saying we could lose or power for weeks, if that happens, I out of here.

I can't drink our tap water here where I live.  It comes out of the old silver mines.  It just tastes nasty.  Every time the EPA changes the minimum standards of certain minerals, the water district has to upgrade the filtration system.  Arsenic, antimony, thallium, and other goodies are in the mine water.  The district started to blend it with water bought from the water district next door that has mountain river water.  It's better, but I still taste the old mine...

Keep an ear and and eye on your local reports.  I saw that the West Palm Beach mayor doesn't want to put mandatory evacuations in place until it is certain it is going to have a major effect - as everyone will take he FL Turnpike North to evacuate, they could get caught in the hurricane as they go up the road, especially with the current track changing a little.  Stay safe!!!

PBJ, tuna, spam - so many sandwiches.  Those little fruit cocktails,  even the stabilized milk in those cartons you find on the shelves - whatever is going to get you through.  

On 8/30/2019 at 4:24 PM, BNBR said:

Cheap cruises! 

Your son can get 5 gallon collapsable containers. 

A quick Google search found this made in America collapsable container: https://smartbottleinc.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2K3rBRDiARIsAOFSW_49JzUdrPY8W7BymTlzc_RvOKz1KwwzXi9smbCs4DQvgEdHRXehz_QaAt8SEALw_wcB#!/5-Gallon/p/84303596?_vsrefdom=adwords

I haven't looked but I bet Amazon had a large selection of containers.

53 minutes ago, voljeep said:

just upgraded to a Cat 5 ... still waiting on the north turn ... hurry up and wait ... since Monday ...

Everyone seems pretty confident in this turn! Even a local news site says not to put up shutters in Fort Lauderdale or Miami.  I'm sure it'll turn, or at least highly confident, but any fluctuation and we get cat 5 direct hit. 

3 hours ago, BNBR said:

Everyone seems pretty confident in this turn! Even a local news site says not to put up shutters in Fort Lauderdale or Miami.  I'm sure it'll turn, or at least highly confident, but any fluctuation and we get cat 5 direct hit. 

Which local channel made that comment?...If someone wants to put up storm shutters they should not

be told not to……..I agree with your last sentence...…..one little wiggle and it can be catastrophic:classic_wacko:

7 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Which local channel made that comment?....even the Big Guys at the Weather channel have not said that:classic_wacko:.....I see you are in Ft. Lauderdale....I am up in Jacksonville and I agree with your last sentence.

One little wiggle and he can change in a heartbeat:classic_sad:  If someone wants to be safe and put up

storm shutters? I say go for it......better to be safe than sorry.

Local10.com

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Well, part of South Florida is starting evacuations today...……..a bit north of you but the outerbands can hit you as well.

We aren't worried in the slightest. But it sure is nice if this thing misses us. Very disruptive to my business! And we had family supposed to fly in today and their flight was canceled.  Kind of ruined our week and Disney trip next weekend. 

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

We aren't worried in the slightest. But it sure is nice if this thing misses us. Very disruptive to my business! And we had family supposed to fly in today and their flight was canceled.  Kind of ruined our week and Disney trip next weekend. 

Hi, well, I guess the airlines are concerned about people's lives...…..not sure why that would surprise you.

I hope everyone in the affected areas are safe and well. We visited Disney World and cruised the week between Charlie and Frances hit Florida. We were really lucky. It will take a long while to clean up the aftermath and rebuild the damaged areas. My prayers are with those affected by Dorian.