Onboard ship activities

lenquixote66

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have never done that.Nothing that I ever wrote is available in anything except book or magazine form,as far as I know.

You only read things where you are the author?  Wow, that's kinda limiting, isn't it?

Most of the podcasts we listen to are 30 to 60 minutes long and I can't imagine a subject that hasn't been talked about.

https://www.thepodcasthost.com/listeners-guide/what-is-a-podcast/

On 8/31/2019 at 2:39 PM, DarrenM said:

I trust they advertise this performance well.

So folk like me can get as far away as possible.

Well, aren't you the little ray of sunshine.  Have you never heard "Different strokes, etc."?  Apparently not.

41 minutes ago, Rala said:

Well, aren't you the little ray of sunshine.  Have you never heard "Different strokes, etc."?  Apparently not.

Of course. And I am not saying, CLEARLY, that folk shouldnt do whatever the want.

Just dont do it in front of me. Why on earth would I want to watch an amatear dramtics performance by a bunch of wannabee actors/singers/dancers??????

And dont call me little.

There are plenty of professional actors/singers/dancers on board to satisfy everyone.

They are good at what they do.

Unlike those that seem to want extra attention on them.

Kind regards

Little Ray of sunshine.

Edited by DarrenM

6 hours ago, clo said:

You only read things where you are the author?  Wow, that's kinda limiting, isn't it?

Most of the podcasts we listen to are 30 to 60 minutes long and I can't imagine a subject that hasn't been talked about.

https://www.thepodcasthost.com/listeners-guide/what-is-a-podcast/

That is not what I said.There is nothing that I ever wrote that is available on electronic media as far as I know.It is possible that some of my poetry or short stories that appeared in magazines may possibly be available but not to my knowledge.

I am an avid reader.I have hundreds of books in my home from virtually every genre.

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have never done that.Nothing that I ever wrote is available in anything except book or magazine form,as far as I know.

Oh I think you might have misunderstood. When I said "loading" I don't mean I make podcasts, I download ones others have made and listen to them. You give me more credit than I'm due, I'm not that talented🤣

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

That is not what I said.There is nothing that I ever wrote that is available on electronic media as far as I know.It is possible that some of my poetry or short stories that appeared in magazines may possibly be available but not to my knowledge.

I am an avid reader.I have hundreds of books in my home from virtually every genre.

You make it a point to repeat something along these lines over and over through the years, as if it is something to be proud of. Why?

This isn't an "either/or" issue. One can like and enjoy both actual books and electronic ones. 

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

You make it a point to repeat something along these lines over and over through the years, as if it is something to be proud of. Why?

This isn't an "either/or" issue. One can like and enjoy both actual books and electronic ones. 

Most definitely .I do not disagree. However, I guess my age is showing because I loved the days when if you wanted to read a book you would go to a library or a book store.

When I was a teenager in Brooklyn,NY there were thousands of used book stores,now there is only one.There were hundreds of stores that sold books ,now there are very few.

I still have books that I bought in HS and college.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I still have books that I bought in HS and college.

As do I. But when I travel, I love having a wide selection of books available on my Kindle -- not only new books I've wanted to read but references, history, even poetry and literature related to my travels. I can be sitting on a bench in Rome in the Protestant cemetery near the grave of Keats and pull up his poems to read. Or gaze at the famous bronze equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius and read a chapter in his "Meditations".  It adds so much to the enjoyment I have in visiting places such as these....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

As do I. But when I travel, I love having a wide selection of books available on my Kindle -- not only new books I've wanted to read but references, history, even poetry and literature related to my travels. I can be sitting on a bench in Rome in the Protestant cemetery near the grave of Keats and pull up his poems to read. Or gaze at the famous bronze equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius and read a chapter in his "Meditations".  It adds so much to the enjoyment I have in visiting places such as these....

Absolutely 100%.  And if it's a book you haven't read and you get into and don't care for it you can go to the next one.  As far as 'owning' books I rarely buy fiction and my non-fiction (mostly cookbooks) I will occasionally purge.

8 minutes ago, clo said:

Absolutely 100%.  And if it's a book you haven't read and you get into and don't care for it you can go to the next one.  As far as 'owning' books I rarely buy fiction and my non-fiction (mostly cookbooks) I will occasionally purge.

I belong to a Book Club that meets once a month.The majority of the books we read are fiction.Many people read the books on kindles or nooks but a few of us go to the library or buy the book.

I have favorite authors that only write fiction and I buy books that they write.

20 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

20 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I can understand that. Unfortunately I will never be able to do that due to disabilities and never traveled much when I was younger.I get my appreciation of the world through books .

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have connections to several authors.The father of a HS friend is considered to be one of the best writers of his time.The husband of a HS friend has written 20 books,fiction and non fiction.Two HS friends are novelists.The wife of a college friend has written 17 novels and the nephew of a close friend is a best selling author of fiction and non fiction.

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have connections to several authors.The father of a HS friend is considered to be one of the best writers of his time.The husband of a HS friend has written 20 books,fiction and non fiction.Two HS friends are novelists.The wife of a college friend has written 17 novels and the nephew of a close friend is a best selling author of fiction and non fiction.

And.....?  Again, you bring this up with astonishing frequency. 

You are not the only author on these boards nor the only one who knows interesting others. You are just the one who mentions it most often.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

You are not the only author on these boards nor the only one who knows interesting others. You are just the one who mentions it most often.

Is there a problem if someone repeats something? Some topics can be very similar it might lead to people repeating themselves. 

23 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Of course. And I am not saying, CLEARLY, that folk shouldnt do whatever the want.

Just dont do it in front of me. Why on earth would I want to watch an amatear dramtics performance by a bunch of wannabee actors/singers/dancers??????

And dont call me little.

Is someone forcibly dragging you to the rehearsal/performance(s) of the Choir.  Surely , the ship is large enough that  you don't have to be anywhere near the Choir..  Or, perhaps, you just enjoy being contrary in general???    I'm outta here!  If it is in you, have a nice day.

5 minutes ago, Rala said:

Is someone forcibly dragging you to the rehearsal/performance(s) of the Choir.  Surely , the ship is large enough that  you don't have to be anywhere near the Choir..  Or, perhaps, you just enjoy being contrary in general???    I'm outta here!  If it is in you, have a nice day.

You clearly dont read everything. I said everyone is entitled to do whatever they like. I was referring to their public performance. And all I asked for was enough notice to get far out of earshot and eye shot

That is surely clear enough right?

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would venture to say that I never wrote anything for profit.I wrote hoping that people who read what I have written would derive enjoyment.

On 9/2/2019 at 7:44 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Only hundreds?

When we bought our house, we moved about 1000 paperbacks.  Plus, both of us had all all college textbooks, and a number of other hard backs.

I travel a lot.  So I switched to an eReader many years ago.  I would carry 10 - 12 books on a 2 weeks trip, and would borrow books along the way.  Now, I carry over 2000 books in my device.

I also carry a laptop, that has my electronic library of over 4000 books.  In case I run out. 😄

Just now, SRF said:

Only hundreds?

When we bought our house, we moved about 1000 paperbacks.  Plus, both of us had all all college textbooks, and a number of other hard backs.

I travel a lot.  So I switched to an eReader many years ago.  I would carry 10 - 12 books on a 2 weeks trip, and would borrow books along the way.  Now, I carry over 2000 books in my device.

I also carry a laptop, that has my electronic library of over 4000 books.  In case I run out. 😄

When we moved to Smalltown,USA in 2003 we brought about 3000 books with us but have since donated the majority to libraries. We still have college textbooks and I have paperbacks that I bought in high school. We belong to a book club and we either buy the book or take it out of the local library.

I donate books to the cruise ships library and occasionally sign them.😀

Since I have converted to eBooks, I have been moving out many of my paperbacks to Goodwill.

But only ones where I have an electronic copy.   😄

I did not mention all my professional books, going back to before I even started in this profession.  At times, we need to be able to determine the state of the art and knowledge and some time in the past.  So ALL books get kept.

My favorite activities on board are the lectures, meeting new friends at happy hour, reading by the pool, pub crawls, beer/wine/liquor tastings,  wine pairing meals, painting classes, craft classes, cooking classes, jewelry lectures, special chef dinners, having long meals with new friends, book clubs and relaxing.