Onboard ship activities

lenquixote66

11 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Me, for instance.  However, thanks to Mr. Google, now I know.

It's a good day when I actually learn something from Cruise Critic.

I love learning things and now I know about chapbooks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

How many people these days even know what a chapbook is, let alone want to bring them on cruises? The PP was responding to a post about books on tape.

Barnes and Noble and every book store in the town I live in sell chap books.Even our CVS sells them.I always bring mine on cruises.

20 hours ago, marco said:

P and O , and Cunard both organise passengers' choirs, followed by a public performance. 

We were on a Princess cruise and they did this. A freind of ours participated and he said he would not do it again.  Too many rehearsals scheduled at times he'd rather be doing something else.

On Aranui they had a passengers dance performance that was performed on the last night of the cruise. The people who participated were really surprised at the amount of rehersals they had to attend during the cruise. I suspect if they had the cruise again they probably wouldn't sign up to this activity again😂.

Like others, i mostly enjoy reading, relaxing, looking at the ocean going by, as well as GOOD lectures (not someone reading powerpoint slides) relevant to the history/art/culture/food/music of the countries or ports visited. Trivia can be fun but I'm not devoted to it like some -- it's a pastime, not a vocation. I have also participated in the "onboard choir" on Voyages to Antiquity and it was fun. Seems this activity is more likely to be offered on ships with a lot of British passengers. 

But truthfully I can only take so much leisure. :classic_blink: I really cruise for the ports and prefer cruises with only a few sea days.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Like others, i mostly enjoy reading, relaxing, looking at the ocean going by, as well as GOOD lectures (not someone reading powerpoint slides) relevant to the history/art/culture/food/music of the countries or ports visited. Trivia can be fun but I'm not devoted to it like some -- it's a pastime, not a vocation. I have also participated in the "onboard choir" on Voyages to Antiquity and it was fun. Seems this activity is more likely to be offered on ships with a lot of British passengers. 

But truthfully I can only take so much leisure. :classic_blink: I really cruise for the ports and prefer cruises with only a few sea days.

Our upcoming cruise will have one sea day out of 12.  Perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

x2.  A sea day here and there great.  Too many and I start to get a little antsy -- just too much of a good thing for me.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, clo said:

That would be one for me to miss.

I prefer sea days.  Not exclusively, but too many port days in a row is not fun.

5 hours ago, clo said:

Rio to Buenos Aires with what seems to be longer days in port.  And two day in Rio and BA.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/south-america-cruises/rio-de-janeiro-to-buenos-aires-MNA191207/

Very expensive .My first cruise was 7 days NY to Bermuda on a Cunard ship,3 days in Bermuda.$699.00 total cost for my wife and I for an OV cabin.

Edited by lenquixote66

14 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Very expensive .My first cruise was 7 days NY to Bermuda on a Cunard ship,3 days in Bermuda.$699.00 total cost for my wife and I for an OV cabin.

You had just commented that you hadn't heard of a cruise with so few sea days.  BTW how long ago was that?

On 8/31/2019 at 4:29 PM, mom says said:

How many people these days even know what a chapbook is, let alone want to bring them on cruises? The PP was responding to a post about books on tape.

Yep. You can have dozens of books on a mp3 player, tablet,  etc and you don't have to find room to pack multiple books.

11 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Yep. You can have dozens of books on a mp3 player, tablet,  etc and you don't have to find room to pack multiple books.

Not everyone has an MP3 player or tablet,I do not.I bring 5 books,read them and donate them to the library.I bring chap books,they do not take up that much room.

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not everyone has an MP3 player or tablet,I do not.I bring 5 books,read them and donate them to the library.I bring chap books,they do not take up that much room.

More power to you. I usually do journey cruises. I can go through more than 5 books over a two week or more period on the ship. Plus, if one gets boring, I can easily switch since I have a couple of dozen available.  Or, in port, I can find free wifi and download even more.

Same with eReader books. 

Edited by cruizergal70

37 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

You can load them on your computer also.

16 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

On Aranui they had a passengers dance performance that was performed on the last night of the cruise. The people who participated were really surprised at the amount of rehersals they had to attend during the cruise. I suspect if they had the cruise again they probably wouldn't sign up to this activity again😂.

That sounds even less appealling than watching/listening to the choir.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, clo said:

You can load them on your computer also.

I cannot use a computer.The keyboard is too hard for me to use.I have a special device with a stylus pen. I might be able to download things,I have no idea.My wife prefers taking actual books.I never took anything electronic on a cruise .My flip phone is the only thing I would take.