To Ship or Check

Diggerof4

This is to see how many have done this, as well as getting advice.  Has anyone mailed their coats, boots, etc ahead of time to avoid paying extra at the airport? 

We are flying out a week a head of time (end of May) before our Alaskan cruise in 2020 (beginning of June). We are thinking of mailing out our coats boots, etc to the first hotel we are staying at.  Just called the hotel and she gave me instruction.  She said we are not the first to do this.  On our way back, we will wear most things.  

Thank you in advance. 

I wanted to add that on our Alaskan Cruise , which was when Sarah Palin was Gov of Alaska & John McCain & her were on the same ticket. I just mention this as a point of time reference. It was the last week of August.

We saw some folks on the Whale Watching Excursion with us wearing these waterproof jackets & pants & boots. SO unnecessary. You aren't on a fish boat like in the TV Show, Deadliest Catch. 

I went with the wise advice of "layers" given here on Trip Advisor. Especially now with the unusual warmer weather Alaska had this year.

I hope this helps, I'd love to go back. But, my hubby and I go on very hot vacations now. We're currently on a land vacation in Hot & Humid Puerto Vallarta. 

🏝🏝

Bobbi

1 hour ago, riffatsea said:

Coats and boots for summer in Alaska??? Why?? Layers are better than heavy clothing there.

What are you planning to do?

We needed jackets and coats when we went to Alaska during the summer... it’s a much different climate than we’re used to in Florida.

For my upcoming trip to Antarctica, I don’t plan on shipping any coats to my pre-cruise hotel even though permitted. I’ll simply wear it onto the plane and store it with my carryon.

Edited by xDisconnections

From MN here too. I love my packable down jacket from Costco. Wear it all winter long and still not too warm in May. Comes with a little bag and pack into smaller than a shoe box when not in use. Costco also sometimes has the brand “32 degree”  base layer shirts which are super light weight but warm. Stretchy knit gloves are pretty warm. Footwear is tougher but tennis or a hiking boot are good most everywhere. Warm socks. 

The only person I have ever known to be able to save money by shipping items to the hotel ahead of time worked for FedEx and got a massive discount. Otherwise I highly doubt its worth it. If you mailed a 12lb package that is 12" cubed from Miami to Anchorage it would cost about $45. I used 12 pounds assuming 2 people with a coat and boots each. 2 lbs for coat 2 lbs for each boot. 

We toured Alaska a few years ago in September, we started in Fairbanks where the temps  were in the 80's! .Denali was drizzly and cool as was most of the trip  .We picked up a cruise ship in Seward , first call was Hubbard Glacier, sail in was pretty chilly and windy, Next stop Juneau drizzly  and cool , and from them on every stop was better weather arriving in Vancouver in the 80's

We had waterproof jackets with zip in fleeces , we were never cold and in fact  we didnt even need that in most places

Waterproof  is what you need

10 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

We needed jackets and coats when we went to Alaska during the summer... it’s a much different climate than we’re used to in Florida.

The OP is from Minnesota not Florida!  That makes a big difference in the climate they have at home!

Heavy winter coats are NOT necessary in Alaska in summer. As everyone on here has stated,light fleece, waterproof, layers are the way to go.

7 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

The OP is from Minnesota not Florida!  That makes a big difference in the climate they have at home!

Heavy winter coats are NOT necessary in Alaska in summer. As everyone on here has stated,light fleece, waterproof, layers are the way to go.

Not necessary for all but certainly necessary for some. Your previous post was too generalized 🙂

1 minute ago, xDisconnections said:

Not necessary for all but certainly necessary for some. Your previous post was too generalized 🙂

I was talking to the OP who started this thread! I was not talking to anyone else.

IF you felt you needed to add information for your fellow Floridians that is certainly your right.

Not my issue at all!

Nobody has asked the important question: What's the price difference??

If you're shipping the heavy, bulky stuff, it usually pays by weight and size, so you could end up paying the same or more to ship your gear than you would for extra baggage on the aircraft.

Thank you everyone !  And it was my error, I should have said waterproof coat and some waterproof hiking boots, maybe gloves. My hands get really cold.  Oh! we know about layers.  There are times in the winter we are actually colder than Alaska. We (4 of us) were trying just to backpack it and not pay for luggage fees.  Approx cost $30 x 3 = $90 one way, that is $180 round trip. Of course depending on what airline we take it can be as much as $60 per bag.  We will be the people on board with shorts, tenny shoes and a sweatshirt.  LOL. Once we get it finalized I will come back to let you know.  There are so many factors.  Keep the advice coming.  It is reassuring that a lot of you thought of the same things we did.   OH...and by the way, we have had snow in May.  LOL  

On a couple of our August cruises to Alaska, the temps where in the 80's in various ports. The pool area looked like a caribbean cruise sailing away from Skagway. Took the Roberts Tram ride in Juneau to hike up at the top of the mountain, was layered up and it was hot. Found out it was 83 degrees that day.

15 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Coats and boots for summer in Alaska??? Why?? Layers are better than heavy clothing there.

What are you planning to do?

Hi

Yes, I understand global warming, but I wouldn't consider May to be summer in Alaska. 😃

At the same time, I should say that I was on one of the first of the season cruises to Alaska a few years back, and while I did need hat and gloves in the morning, by the afternoon I was often in shorts and t-shirt. As Riff says, you need to layer. I would go as far as to say is that the coldest you will be is when you are on board on deck while the ship is moving and you are wanting to stay out there, for example cruising in Glacier Bay national Park. You will be much better off with a lighter (waterproof) jacket and sweaters, as far as boots, a good pair of hikers (not winter boots). 

If you are willing to wear your heavy coats and boots on the return flight, I don't see why you don't do the same on the way there. Personally, I like having a coat or something like that to use as a pillow, or to put behind my back to be more comfortable (I don't pay for those nicer seats).   

have a great cruise

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, coevan said:

When we pull up to cruise docks and see a couple with 4 or 5 huge suitcases our first thought is newbeees. As stated before 2 week B2B with a carry on and backpack

OR!!! They could be experienced cruisers who like choices, and don't have to pay exhorbitant airline fees for checked baggage!

If the hotel is good with it, I say check the prices and if the numbers work then do it. I know some photographers will fedex or ups some of their gear to where they are going.  That way they don't have to check any expensive stuff. So if the cost makes sense, it sounds like a great idea to me. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2019 at 7:08 PM, Diggerof4 said:

This is to see how many have done this, as well as getting advice.  Has anyone mailed their coats, boots, etc ahead of time to avoid paying extra at the airport? 

We are flying out a week a head of time (end of May) before our Alaskan cruise in 2020 (beginning of June). We are thinking of mailing out our coats boots, etc to the first hotel we are staying at.  Just called the hotel and she gave me instruction.  She said we are not the first to do this.  On our way back, we will wear most things.  

Thank you in advance. 

We went to Alaskan two years ago-dressed in layers. Brought boots but never wore them. Check two bags for two people using Spirit and were fine with 40 pound weight allowance. 

6 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Or, you could be like this lady who brought SO many coats and jackets and cardigans and....

Favor's a seasoned cruiser, but a little OCD. She's from Texas, so anything below 70 degrees is probably cold to her.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I live in the Mojave Desert. It'll be 108 all weekend. I should compare notes with her.

I'm a seasoned cruiser, too, from a warm (boiling hot) area. I still don't bring 5 coats to Alaska. I just thought it was weird and a complete waste of luggage space.

I loved this video!  It shows what to do and NOT to do and everyone has a different lifestyle.  For us (4 people), this was WAY to much stuff. We will be gone 15 days. Arriving 1 week before cruise. We are packing for 7 (plus the outfit we will have on) and doing some laundry before getting on the ship.  Trying to just backpack it, however I don't think it will work due to  3 family members have cpap machines. I know that our DD and I will being buying somethings in port.  She was right, when it is windy and you have a lot of moisture in the air and can seem colder than what the actually temp it.