Sun dress

kicia

Ok, I have another question.  Aren't you glad i only have a day and a half left?

Anyone wear a tuxedo/long gown on the Sun 5 day cruise? We always do even on the short Carnival cruises and we're not alone but I want to know what happens on the Sun.

Thank you!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, kicia said:

Ok, I have another question.  Aren't you glad i only have a day and a half left?

Anyone wear a tuxedo/long gown on the Sun 5 day cruise? We always do even on the short Carnival cruises and we're not alone but I want to know what happens on the Sun.

Thank you!

Shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals and will be the predominant dress except for Le Bistro specialty restaurant and the Seven Seas main dining room where gents are asked to wear long pants (jeans, dockers). 

On the short cruises, they sometimes allow shorts in all dining rooms for all meals all the time. And shorts will be the predominant dress. There are no tuxes and little to no long gowns seen on any NCL ships. You're on vacation. Enjoy!

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

..........There are no tuxes and little to no long gowns seen on any NCL ships. You're on vacation. Enjoy!

Completely disagree.

While it's not prevalent I most definitely have seen people in tuxes and plenty of lovely ladies in long dresses on NCL ships.

I would agree though for short cruises it's rarely seen.

Edited by ColeThornton

11 hours ago, kicia said:

Thank you!

Better ask a question than get on the ship and wish you had. enjoy your cruise. I hope it is everything you had hoped for; the Sun is one of our favorite ships..  As for long dresses and Tux: you can wear whatever you want: will others be wearing them probably not, I would rather see a couple dresses a bit over than a bit under. 

We sail NCL multiple times a year. Formal attire is really not seen on NCL any longer. Gents wear slacks and shorts with polo shirts, Hawaiian shirts, and dress shirts. Younger gents wear their untucked shirts and slacks (club attire is what we call it). Ladies, lots of capris and summer blouses. Summer dresses. Some dresses. Younger ladies (also designated club attire) too short dresses. 

At at the end of the day, no one cares what you wear. There are no dress codes. Bring along whatever you want. If formal attire makes your cruise special, go for it. You only have one port call, an overnight in Nassau. 

Consider that all cruise lines are catering to the next generation cruisers that will sustain their business for the decades to come. And that formal attire is not the favored attired for millennials. 

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

At at the end of the day, no one cares what you wear. There are no dress codes. Bring along whatever you want. If formal attire makes your cruise special, go for it.

Exactly this!  Was on the Sun at the beginning of August and saw plenty of varied evening dress from shorts to long dresses and slacks/sports coats.  It really is up to you and how dressed up or down you want to get.  Those who were a little dressier at night were often doing so for the photo ops that were set up in the main atrium.  We saw lots of people who dressed up for the family photo.  

• Like 1

I have never seen anyone dressed formally on the ships. I would love to do a super fancy dress up night but I don’t own any clothing like that. I am 30 and I  have ZERO opportunities to wear anything nicer than a little black dress. I only cruise once a year so it doesn’t make any sense for me to invest in nicer clothes. Wear what you would like! 

kicia

Of course you can wear what you like on the ship. However,my DH and I have taken three NCL cruises,one being in the mid 1990’s and the other two just a few years ago and we are aware of the changes in apparel for the MDR.

On the first cruise,mostly everyone was dressed for formal night in tuxes and gowns or dark suits and cocktail dresses. I remember going into the atrium that night thinking it looked like a prom night or an elegant charity fund raising affair or award dinner.So many people looked so handsome and beautiful ! Very sophisticated.

Now, on the other two cruises, I did not see tuxes,gowns,dark suits. Perhaps some women were in dressier dresses.  Walking  through the public areas,we saw many in shorts and t shirts,with most passengers in slacks and polos or casual shirts for the men  and slacks and dressy or regular tops or casual dresses for the women.

My DH chose to wear dress slacks and a long sleeved,button down shirt for dinner and I chose dressy slacks and tops. One night,we had a reservation at Cagney’s. Very near to us was a table  of three - a couple and a younger fellow. My attention was drawn to them because the woman was having a long,loud conversation with someone  on her phone. I noticed both men were wearing shorts and t shirts with printed  logos on them.

I am mentioning this to you because you may find yourselves in a crowd dressed in similar casual outfits and a tux and gown may make you feel awkward.

IMHO, I would not go to the effort of packing a tux and long gown for your upcoming cruise. Go with what other cruise lines describe as Country Club casual and you will be fine.

The idea of dedicated formal nights are disappearing from the cruise experience. We mostly cruise with Princess and Celebrity. There is a noticeable change in peoples’ dress since both of these  cruise.ines renamed Formal Night to Chic Night and Elegant night. It seems that a majority wearing tuxes and gowns now on cruises may be found on Cunard and other luxury cruiselines.

20 hours ago, kicia said:

Thank you!

I'm going to be on that cruise, and I am not bringing anything remotely close to formal. We rarely do with NCL anymore. With that said, go for it, if that's what you want to do! That's why we love NCL, there isn't really much of a dress code, with a couple exceptions.

4 hours ago, MJSailors said:

We mostly cruise with Princess and Celebrity. There is a noticeable change in peoples’ dress since both of these  cruise.ines renamed Formal Night to Chic Night and Elegant night.

Holland America has changed the name to Gala Night.

Royal Caribbean still has formal nights, not strictly enforced. This summer on the Baltic Sea, in cool weather and with a high percentage of European passengers, about half the men wore jackets on formal nights, but fewer wore neckties. More than half the women dressed up - not many long gowns, but lots of fancy "cocktail" or party dresses. Two women wore traditional Japanese apparel. I did not see anyone in the MDR in shorts, nor did I see anyone in a tuxedo (dinner jacket, black tie, whatever you call it). Of course I did not see even all the passengers who were in the dining room at the same time as I was, never mind those who ate earlier or later or in the other MDR.

For a Holland America cruise this winter, to the Caribbean, I will probably wear a guayabera on the gala nights.

On 9/5/2019 at 8:43 PM, kicia said:

Thank you!

IN 8 NCL cruises, including on the larger ships I have never seen a tux and scant few long gowns. In fact on trips on Silversea and Regent I rarely see them. That style dress is just not worn much any more.

Edited by zqvol

My husband and I were on a Carnival cruise several years ago. On Elegant night, we saw an elderly couple dressed with him a tux and her a ball gown. They were a Beautiful couple!! They really WOW'd me. We do not dress like that but I'm sure that couple has some stories to tell. I loved seeing them. I know how things have changed and how much easier it is to pack (especially if flying) for a cruise without the extra dress clothes. I say, if you want to dress to the hilt, do it and feel comfortable doing it. If not, then don't. I love NCL for this... do what makes you feel good!!

We have recently sailed on the Symphony of the Seas and the Harmony of the Seas. We took note that on Formal Nights, there were no gents (easier to pick out than ladies) who abided by the “suggested” formal attire in our section of the MDR. Lots of Hawaiian and polo shirts. A few people in shorts. Royal is certainly changing too. 

Edited by BirdTravels