Does It Make You Proud?

cjknox

Asking "for a friend"

When you cruise, do you feel a sense of pride when:

1. Your ship is the largest in port
  2. Your ship has the most top deck amenities (waterslides, gokarts, etc)

If so, why? If not, why?

Edited by cjknox

I only take pride in what belongs to me.  As far as what appeals to me when looking at a ship, I think the Carnival ships are the nicest looking ones.  Clean lines, bright white.  I look at RCI's and they look to me like a space ship has landed on the top deck.  NCL's look like graffiti and that ridiculous Celebrity Edge looks like a cross between a freighter and an ice breaker with a mobile home frame stuck on the side.  

It will be interesting to see what I think of the Mardi Gras when she comes out.  I don't expect everyone to feel the same way but that's my opinion.  Everyone is entitled to theirs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cjknox said:

Asking "for a friend"

If so, why? If not, why?

What do you feel when you pull in and your ship looks old and worn out and the ship next to you is brand new (not a knock- just a question)?

Never thought about it - but all these questions probably do play a role in some peoples minds.

I would assume its a bigger deal in people who are cruising for the first time and it can be eye opening what the bigger and newer ships have. I always marvel at the Oasis class ships I see in port - not going to lie, but its my goal to get on one and experience it at least once. 

Enjoy any ship you are on - your on vacation. Actually had one of my greatest trips on the Fascination and I knew what it looked like before, but when we pulled into port and I saw her in person I had that feeling like I was not sure. 

We did a cruise on Marella Dream to the Canary Islands for New Year  . The Dream has to be one of the shabbiest looking ship from the outside lol. At one time we were parked next to P&O Oriana , which I believe is older , but immaculate looking 

We thought it was quite funny ( would hate to go on one of the huge ships ). The Dream is nicely decorated in the public rooms , our outside cabin creaked a lot and had a rusty ceiling by the door , but that really doesn't matter to me , loved the ship 

Really don't sail for the ship so don't suffer from "ship envy" at all.  I like smaller, older ships.  Much more personal feeling to them.

I'm proud that I don't spend more to get to the same ports than someone who believes they can only sail on the newest, biggest ships that always command a premium price.

It's a bit like the people who claim "I won't sail unless I'm in a balcony/suite."  Um, ok.  I'll sail in inside cabins and sail twice as often as I could if I booked a balcony.  I don't spend money simply because I can.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cjknox said:

Asking "for a friend"

If so, why? If not, why?

Nope, but neither do I feel proud because of the house that I live in or the car I drive or the clothes I wear because none of that has anything to do with who I am.

• Like 6

Not really.  I just like peeking on nearby ships to see if there are people having fun and what they're doing.

The only thing that stands out- on our last cruise we were next to a small, upscale ship.  When I got home, I looked it up, I think it was a line based out of Europe.  I did my usual peeking over to see what was going on- and my only thought was 'I don't belong anywhere near this ship." People were dressed up to hang out on their balconies- sundresses, fancy sunhats, and heels.  People on the top deck were also dressed up and looking around with binoculars while primly sitting in loungers.  Now, that was a 5 minute snapshot- maybe they were all getting ready for dinner.  Or maybe the more active people were still in port.  I have no clue and it really doesn't matter anyhow.  But that was the only thing that really stood out when we saw a neighboring ship 

5 hours ago, cjknox said:

Asking "for a friend"

If so, why? If not, why?

No and no. We choose a particular cruise for a balance of ship and itinerary, but I have no desire or need to sail the biggest or newest ships. Biggest cruise ship sounds like a recipe for a crowd to me. No thank you.

• Like 1

I am happy on any cruise, but after sailing on 100 ships, I do tend to look at other ships when we are docked in port.  Generally, I laugh at the Carnival ships, so small, kind of ancient in my opinion.  But, when the foot is on the other shoe, I look at the large ships and say "I been on that one too".  

5 hours ago, cjknox said:

Asking "for a friend"

If so, why? If not, why?

We sailed the Disney Dream when it was quite new back in Feb of 2011.  We took our twins and their kids along, and just by Serendipity, the Discovery was making its last trip to the ISS.  When we were up on deck watching the liftoff, we saw way down below, an old and tired looking ship with fake plastic palm trees.  It wasn't pride that we were feeling seeing that little ship, it was more gratitude that we were able to cruise on a modern, clean, and state of the art vessel rather than that sorry looking Carnival Fantasy class ship.

JMO, YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The7Harrisons said:

No, but there are times when big new boats are in port and I usually say to myself " I am glad we not on that boat" just because we do not like the "new, bigger" boats! Now I do feel pride when I go to the MDR in my jeans!!!! LOL

Pics-Art-09-06-11-05-15.jpg

😉          😊          😉       

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I do believe Pride is one of the "7 deadly sins!"

However I must admit feeling a sense of accomplishment which boarders on pride when my children achieve wonderful things, when I am able to complete something new that took considerable effort, when I see my grandchildren behave with good sportsmanship and / or compassion.

I have no "pride" in the fact that I happened to spend money to be on an inanimate object that some may consider superior to some other inanimate object.

• Like 3

I don't feel pride about that stuff.  I'm indifferent about it.  I don't care what anyone else thinks about the ship that I'm on.  The important thing is that I'm having fun.

I do think it would be interesting if you were able to tour other ships while you were in port.  I understand that this isn't going to happen.  I have only ever been on Carnival, and I have no intention of trying other lines at this point, but I think it would be fun to see ships from other lines. 

• Like 2

Not really. Just happy to be onboard and on vacation.

I sail on the type of ship that I can afford and which sails out of my homeport.

My parents like NCL--but not my cup of tea to pay for all those extra restaurants. I like the free food and the amenities on a Carnival ship. I'm not about getting "extras" or paying for "extras" unless its an experience I really want. 

Did my first Chef's Table on my last cruise. Im done.

Did a steakhouse two years ago. Done.

They only big "splurge" I do is the Behind the Fun tour--I think it's fascinating.

• Like 1

Our first cruise ever was on the Dream last July. The only feeling of 'pride' was a sense of accomplishment that we had our act together and had done our research well, and got on the ship with no problems what so ever. Well.....I was proud of the travel backpack I go from Amazon just for this cruise. Money well spent.