Does It Make You Proud?

cjknox

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

So you think the people who enjoy larger ships are stupid?   

Nowhere did I suggest that my opinion referred to anyone other than myself. 

Also I intended it to be OTT, in response to what I consider an OTT question to start with.

DH and I  enjoy looking a the other ships in port and noting their features. Sometimes we see one that looks interesting for consideration for future cruises. Sometimes it will be a ship we've been on before  a sister ship and we will see if we can remember where our cabin was and where particular memories occurred.

No sense of pride or validation, and it does not matter whether our ship is larger or smaller, simple or luxurious -we're on a cruise and having a good time.

2 hours ago, simplelife said:

DH and I  enjoy looking a the other ships in port and noting their features. Sometimes we see one that looks interesting for consideration for future cruises. Sometimes it will be a ship we've been on before  a sister ship and we will see if we can remember where our cabin was and where particular memories occurred.

No sense of pride or validation, and it does not matter whether our ship is larger or smaller, simple or luxurious -we're on a cruise and having a good time.

Exactly our attitude (my wife and I) the ONLY thing we care about is the cruise, the whiz bang techno-water slide nonsense, doesn't amount to a hill of beans to us. neither does the size of either ship or a  large groups of passengers. In fact, it's quite the opposite for my wife. When we sailed the Oasis of the Seas in 2013 she didn't really care for it because the ship and the thousands (5400) of passengers felt like a 'floating mall at Christmas' as she called it. BEAUTIFUL ship but tooooo many people! Personally, I'd love to do the new Mardi Gras (that was my first cruise wayyyy back in  1987) BUT I know her attitude, so I'll just keep that in the back of my mind for now.

Mac

Huh, I just find the question kind of strange to begin with.  Maybe proud is the wrong word.  I prefer or enjoy certain types of ships over others.  Can't say that pride comes into play.   Kind of like taking a shared shuttle vs a private car.  One is much more convenient and more comfortable, but I wouldn't feel any sense of pride in using the private car over the shuttle.   I much prefer business or first class over economy, but can't say I've ever felt of sense of pride sitting in those seats.  At 6'-4" tall, I would say it is more a sense of relief!  Haha

I guess I do understand that some folks might tend to think about their cruise brand like they are designer purses.  Logo value is important to a lot of folks.   And hey, if that is what floats your boat, then go for it and enjoy!   

I also am one that prefers the older not-so-mega ships of say up to 3500 ppl.  They are still pretty large.  Most of our time on the larger 6,000 passenger ships are with our large family group and we still have a good time.   I have never been on one but suspect I would not enjoy the very small 100-200 passenger ships.  

Edited by ldubs

I think all of the ships look stunning. Regardless of which ones are bigger.

I would hate to be on one with a water park so I wont book one. Will be far too many kids for my liking.

I equally wouldnt want to go on a 200 people ship either. Tooo small and way too intimate for my liking.

I want relaxation and bars that are not overcrowded to the extent you wait 20 minutes for a drink.

A small pool and plenty of outside relaxing areas for the wife.

And did I say easily accessible bars?

32 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I equally wouldnt want to go on a 200 people ship either. Tooo small and way too intimate for my liking.

(I started writing this, did something and tried to come back and it was gone.  So sorry if this is a dupe.)

We were on a 400 pax ship to Antarctica and 100 pax for the Norwegian coast.  The pax themselves were just so different.  So completely focused on everything OFF the ship.  That was all really any of us talked about practically the whole time.  It was terrific.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

(I started writing this, did something and tried to come back and it was gone.  So sorry if this is a dupe.)

We were on a 400 pax ship to Antarctica and 100 pax for the Norwegian coast.  The pax themselves were just so different.  So completely focused on everything OFF the ship.  That was all really any of us talked about practically the whole time.  It was terrific.

I get that but it just wouldnt be for me. Glad you enjoyed it though, as thats what its all about.

I am making myself seem really antisocial on this board.

20 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

I am making myself seem really antisocial on this board.

Not at all.  Different strokes.  I test out as an extreme introvert and as I've gotten (a lot!) older I realize that I need more downtime.

5 hours ago, clo said:

They are my kind of people.  I go for the destinations.  As far as I am concerned, the ship is just a big bus.

DON

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DarrenM said:

I want relaxation and bars that are not overcrowded to the extent you wait 20 minutes for a drink.

A small pool and plenty of outside relaxing areas for the wife.

And did I say easily accessible bars?

Intimate depends on the size of the ship too. When I was on Aranui it was just over 200 passengers but it never felt claustrophobic on the ship. There was lots of space to get away from people and you could easily wonder the ship without bumping into people all time. The pool deck was spacious, never crowded and there was always loungers available and with three bars for our small population you never had to wait for a drink 😉. So just because something is small doesn't mean it will be that intimate.