Does It Make You Proud?

cjknox

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Other people are motivated by different things. In my case, I am most proud of my 31 years marriage and my two adult kids who have been on their own for awhile now and are capable of supporting themselves. 

Your comment reminds me of my mom.  In the early 80s she was attending a ladies luncheon where she didn't know most of the attendees.  She said all of them started bragging about their kids being doctors, lawyers, how much money they made, etc.  Her comment was "We have 4 grown children, all of them graduated college, all are out on their own, and none of them were ever arrested.  I consider that quite an accomplishment!"  She said there was dead silence around the table and I don't think she ever attended that luncheon again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Your comment reminds me of my mom.  In the early 80s she was attending a ladies luncheon where she didn't know most of the attendees.  She said all of them started bragging about their kids being doctors, lawyers, how much money they made, etc.  Her comment was "We have 4 grown children, all of them graduated college, all are out on their own, and none of them were ever arrested.  I consider that quite an accomplishment!"  She said there was dead silence around the table and I don't think she ever attended that luncheon again.

In today's society, your mom could say "We have 4 children, they graduated from college, are out on their own and did not move back home with mom and dad."  I would have added to that if it was me that they were still married to their 1st spouses and they have never begged mom and dad for a "loan".

Your mom and my wife and I and my brother and his wife somehow managed to do something right in raising their kids.

Re the question posted by the OP, if I were on a small ship docked next to a large one, my thoughts would be that I was sorry for everyone who was stuck on the over-sized behemoth ship.  We do most of the cruising on R class ships and the not on ships that are not really ships but over-sized floating amusement parks.  If I wanted an amusement park, I there are plenty of them on land.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

We're in the group that looks at a huge floating amusement park in port and thinks "I'm glad I'm not on that one."   "Pride" is reserved for genuine personal accomplishment or making and following through on a difficult but right decision.    Jealous?    Never thought of ships and their passengers that way.   If I wanted to be on that ship, then that's where I'd be.    

5 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

You’re never too old for Disney.

Absolutely!!! We're 69 and 64 and are heading to Disneyland for three days in November. Just the two of us. We typically go there or to Walt Disney World in Orlando every couple of years or so. I've been to Disneyland over 50 times since it opened (yes, I am old enough to have visited during it's first year), and Disney World 6 or 7 times. Had great fun every time. Christmas time is our favorite time to visit the parks.

If a person finds Disney parks and ships something to look down their nose at, their ability to feel young again is severely compromised. 😉

Edited by PTMary
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, cjknox said:

Asking "for a friend"

When you cruise, do you feel a sense of pride when:

1. Your ship is the largest in port
  2. Your ship has the most top deck amenities (waterslides, gokarts, etc)

If so, why? If not, why?

Advise your “friend”:

1. I would probably feel envy for those people  on the smallest ship present for having the sense (and perhaps disposable income) to choose something other than the embarrassingly bloated Heffalump of the Seas I had been unfortunate enough to sail.

2. I would probably vomit.

Why?  Because to me cruising is about sailing on a ship and not a maritime Mall of America. Also, I would start feeling itchy about being enclosed on it with several thousand people who would actually feel pride for being there.

• Like 1

Oh, if only the world could be like these wonderful, confident, self assured people who post on Cruise Critic. Not an envious or jealous bone in their bodies. Content with their lot, coveting nothing. Almost sounds as if they're either not human with normal emotions or too good for this world.

Well, I feel proud and good when I fly and turn left at the entrance door. Similar to the feeling I get when I board the "little" Seabourn ships (not boats).

18 hours ago, cjknox said:

Asking "for a friend"

If so, why? If not, why?

I wouldn't say it makes me feel proud, but there have been many times I felt glad I wasn't on that other ship.....either because it looked like crap or because I had been on that other ship and already knew it was crap.  

I think the OPs use of the word "proud" is unfortunate, and perhaps misplaced.  I feel proud of my accomplishments in life.  I feel proud that I raised fine, productive, well adjusted children. But I don't feel any sense of pride just because I am able to pay to cruise on  a ship that meets my needs and wants. Or that I can afford to "turn left" at the aircraft entrance. Happy and content, yes. But proud? That's nothing to be proud of. To me, that's just vanity. 

Do I ever look at a luxury ship and wish I could sail on it? Of course. Am I jealous of those who can? No. As for those ships with all the bells and whistles- I have absolutely no desire to ever sail on them. 

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, cjknox said:

Asking "for a friend"

If so, why? If not, why?

No not proud, but happy I'm on a cruise. I don't care what others think about what ship I'm on. If I'm happy with what I chose then I'm happy and that's what matters to me. I have looked at other ships docked next to ours and never gave it a thought about how the people might feel. I just marvel at how big they're making these floating amusement parks. Some of the smaller less amusement park type ships can cost a lot more $$$ than the big ones.

19 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Nope, but neither do I feel proud because of the house that I live in or the car I drive or the clothes I wear because none of that has anything to do with who I am.

You don't feel proud of your accomplishments that you have worked hard to achieved? We do, but this has nothing to do with how big of ship we're on.

12 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Yeah, I guess I have self-esteem issues then. Sometimes, cruising on Carnival I feel like people on rival cruise lines like Disney Cruise Line will think "I could never afford the luxuries they can", when in retrospect, I can cruise more frequently if I chose not to sail on Disney.

I never think about what people on other ships can or can't afford regardless if the ship is new and fancy or sort of crappy. When I see a Carnival ship (or any other) that has plenty of rust I think about the lack of maintenance that they have put into it. It has never occurred to me to think about the amount of money the passengers have spent on their vacation or why they chose it. When we see others out on their balconies or anywhere else on another ship and they are looking at us we like to wave and say hi. Just being friendly and happy to see others having a good time also. You shouldn't feel bad because your ship isn't as fancy as someone else's. Besides they don't own the ship.

5 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

.....Well, I feel proud and good when I fly and turn left at the entrance door. Similar to the feeling I get when I board the "little" Seabourn ships (not boats).

Left at the entrance to the cockpit or left into first class? Not really sure because first class can also be to the right. Hubby turns left just inside the door and he has one of the best seats on the plane. Him and 2 others. 😀

On 9/6/2019 at 5:17 PM, cjknox said:

Asking "for a friend"

If so, why? If not, why?

I feel proud to be on a ship, wouldn't matter what line or type as long as I am on it.

This topic reminded me of something that happened on a Princess cruise quite a few years ago.  We pulled into the port at Monte Carlo surrounded by huge yachts.  The Captain came on the outside loudspeakers and said, "My boats bigger than your boat," in a singsong manner.  Cracked me up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I like expedition cruising so by default they don't tend to have many amenities or extra facilities, though are often the only ship in port so they do end up being the biggest 😋

Am I proud to be on those ships? Yes because they are not cheap and I have to save and budget cutting out other tempting luxuries like a discounted cruise around the Pacific to get the money for the fare. So yeah I am pretty proud to have been disciplined enough to be able to enjoy something that is for me a once in a lifetime event🤗

On 9/6/2019 at 1:29 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Why wouldn't you take pride in your accomplishments? Certainly, if those items were given to you and you treat them with disrespect but I earned my home, my car and my clothes.   

Because they don't define who I am as a person. Yes, I did earn what I have and I have been able to go from abject poverty as a child to upper middle class, but at the end of the day it all means nothing since none of it is going with me.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2019 at 3:37 AM, ReneeFLL said:

You don't feel proud of your accomplishments that you have worked hard to achieved? We do, but this has nothing to do with how big of ship we're on.

See my answer in post 71. Yes, I have come a long way in my life but to be honest it's a combination of luck as much as it is skill, being in the right place at the right time, having a dream job appear at the right moment. It just as easily could have gone the other way. At the end of the day it's just "stuff" and to be honest I don't spend a lot of money on "stuff" just to have better "stuff".

On 9/6/2019 at 3:17 AM, cjknox said:

Asking "for a friend"

If so, why? If not, why?

I actually feel sorry for the folks on those oversized floating sardine cans. We were in the Cayman islands once on a smaller Celebrity ship and on the the big Royal ships was there. At the end if the day, the line to get a tender back to the Royal ship was massive! It must have took them well over an hour in line before they got to the tender. And it was really hot that day. For our ship we walked right past the human sardines, got straight onto our tender, got a cold refreshing towel from the attendant,  and were back in our cabin in no time.

I'm sure some people take pride when they are on those things, just like those clowns take pride in squeezing 20 of them into a VW Beetle!  To each their own.

Image result for clowns in a car meme

Edited by DirtyDawg

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

See my answer in post 71. Yes, I have come a long way in my life but to be honest it's a combination of luck as much as it is skill, being in the right place at the right time, having a dream job appear at the right moment. It just as easily could have gone the other way. At the end of the day it's just "stuff" and to be honest I don't spend a lot of money on "stuff" just to have better "stuff".

I don't believe being prepared is luck.  

On 9/6/2019 at 4:14 AM, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Why would purchasing any product give someone a feeling of "pride"? There is no actual personal accomplishment involved. 

If so, it's all in their head... read delusional. 

It may be like handbags 🙂  No really.  You see those ones with LVs plastered all over them.  Why?