Does It Make You Proud?

cjknox

On 9/6/2019 at 12:17 AM, cjknox said:

When you cruise, do you feel a sense of pride when:

1. Your ship is the largest in port
  2. Your ship has the most top deck amenities (waterslides, gokarts, etc)

I'd feel the opposite of pride.  I don't like big ship and I SURE don't like all those amenities.  As in yuck.  YMMV of course.

We do not care.

We are far more interested in quality  and value than we are with quantity, social cachet, or impressing the Jones’.

We are quite happy, we do not need our respective egos stroked the size of a ship or by the on-board facilities.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

Ha!  I would be more likely to be embarrassed......I think those cruising amusement parks are kind of loud and obnoxious.  I'm glad that there's a lot of people who like them, but I'm not one of them.  I'd more likely be on one of the smaller cruise ships in port, and glad of it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, clo said:

It may be like handbags 🙂  No really.  You see those ones with LVs plastered all over them.  Why?

Funny you mentioned that. I absolutely refuse to be a walking billboard for some company. I do have some designer purses, but with only a metal logo/tag on them. I will never buy one of those. They just scream look at me. No thanks.

9 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

One can affect the other, but as I said in my original response it could have just as easily gone the other way.

You can always work hard and change things around. Some people just choose not to.

Edited by ReneeFLL

1 minute ago, ReneeFLL said:

I do have some designer purses, but with only a metal logo/tag on them

I actually remove those tags 🙂  I keep them in case I ever want to donate them.  Tory Burch is discreet 🙂

I love how everyone talks smack about Carnival and refers to them as an entry level cruise line. Like one must slog through 10 cruises on Carnival before they can graduate to real cursing. I was on a boat one time leaving a "private" island to go back to port at the end of the day when I overheard the people behind me commenting on how they would never cruise Carnival, they loved Royal Caribbean and making other general comments basically saying that Carnival was below them. I found it hilarious because we all came to the same port, went to the same island, swam in the same waters, ate the same lunch and yet the ship that brought me and my family seemed so inferior to them. It was the Sensation a smaller and rustier ship but she still sailed and we had a great time (with the exception of some poor service). The ship they were on had some rust and was an older, smaller ship as well.  

If you want white glove, fancy, waited on hand and foot service then yeah maybe Carnival isn't for you. There are those of us that Carnival is exactly what we are looking for and its why we cruise with them. I would love to try Disney but they are to expensive. I don't mean to expensive as in I can't afford to do it, I mean to expensive as in I don't view what they are charging to be good value for the money. I'm sure one day I will try other lines as well. I'd love to try the flow rider but that one feature is right now not enough to draw me away from Carnival who we have had amazing experiences with. 

I think the TLDR version should be NO and NO, and also would people kindly stop thinking they are better than everyone else, the ship they sail on, the line they sail with, etc are better than any of the others. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Isn't it a bit silly to be arguing with sparks1093's about their life experiences? It is their lived experiences and they would probably be the experts of their own life. I personally think that entitles them to reflect on it how they wish. 

I have found it amusing but in most cases they are taking one small factor of an outlook and emphasizing it over other factors. I try to look at the big picture and see how things all fit together. As I said, a combination of skill (preparing, working hard, persevering, etc.) and luck (being in the right place at the right time) and at the end of the day none of the physical things that I amass here on earth are going with me so why should I be proud that I have them?

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I have found it amusing but in most cases they are taking one small factor of an outlook and emphasizing it over other factors. I try to look at the big picture and see how things all fit together. As I said, a combination of skill (preparing, working hard, persevering, etc.) and luck (being in the right place at the right time) and at the end of the day none of the physical things that I amass here on earth are going with me so why should I be proud that I have them?

You are very correct with one exception. A Porsche 911 turbo goes with you to the afterlife. You'll have to let the big guy take it for a spin once in awhile but it's your's for all of eternity! 😁

image.jpeg.09b267c2c8af5cecb40dd289bf25ba71.jpeg

If anyone should feel "pride" it is the cruiser on the smaller ship because they are most likely having a superior experience than found on the bloated mega-boats.   

The only emotion I experience seeing other ships when entering port is mild depression because I will have to fight massive crowds from other boats on the dock and at attractions.  Elation is when you are the only ship in port.  

I thought about this overnight - and tried to remember if I had any of those feelings and I have to honestly say "no".  How can I be envious of another ship when I was the one who chose the ship I'm sailing on?  Did the research, read about the ports, maybe sacrificed a bit to save money for it.  Of course I've seen gorgeous ships in port, but my thoughts run more to "wow, I'd like to sail on that ship, maybe I'll research it when I get home".  People who are always looking for "something better", rarely are satisfied.

• Like 1

I thinks it’s perfectly natural to feel a sense of pride with the ship you’re on. After all, you booked it, wanted to go on it, and are usually happy you’re on it. In fact, I think some people on this thread might not be totally honest with their answers in fear of being insulted by others. 

What I find most amusing in this thread are the people who act all high and mighty because they don’t prefer the mega ships. 

1 hour ago, Winnigirl said:

I've seen gorgeous ships in port, but my thoughts run more to "wow, I'd like to sail on that ship, maybe I'll research it when I get home".  People who are always looking for "something better", rarely are satisfied.

Exactly how I feel.   I’m not looking at the ship thinking it is worse or better than the one I’m on, I’m looking at it to see if it is a ship I want to book in the future.  Typically though I book itinerary, not ship. 

• Like 3