What Regent cruisers may want to know about Crystal

Travelcat2

9 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

You can take the boy out of the country but you cannot take the country out of the boy!!

...but there is still this theme running through it of enormous costs/wealth/snobbery and the sense from the voice over - mere mortals can't do this!   Am looking forward to seeing the US one...

I so agree.  The snobbery factor really shone through and got quite disgusting.  I hate to say it, but the English seem to be still very class conscious and the new class system is wealth.  (Sorry if I'm offending anyone.) "Most Expensive Cruise Ship", yuck!

We also met a guy wearing overalls during a block party long ago--he was our neighbour, and a genuine farmer from the midwest.  Didn't notice him anytime otherwise, so he must have been dressed appropriately.

Have to test this to make sure that it works.  This is the last (and, in my opinion, the best) of the shows.  Think that it may be rather hidden on this thread.

Well, that didn't work, so let's try this: Non-Facebook Link - Explorer Part 4

It worked for me ....... let me know.  The sound does go out a couple of times but will return.

Just found Part 3 - not my favorite but interesting.  Hope you can see it  Explorer Part 3

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I so agree.  The snobbery factor really shone through and got quite disgusting.  I hate to say it, but the English seem to be still very class conscious and the new class system is wealth.  (Sorry if I'm offending anyone.) "Most Expensive Cruise Ship", yuck!

Presumably Regent had an input into the message being delivered by the series, and the demographic it was being aimed at.

Looking at the Explorer's June 2020 Southampton to Stockholm cruise, for an 'H' Veranda Suite the per diem rate is £550 per person.

Is that not aimed at 'monied' people?

22 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Hmmm, the "quote" only did part of your post.  I wanted to respond to your comment about how people on the show were dressed.  From what I've seen (have not seen episode 4 yet), the focus is on people from the U.K. and they really do dress up more (in general) than people from the U.S.  I have seen many people from the U.K. dressed up - even for breakfast (kind of reminds me of the very few years I spent growing up on the East Coast).  Since Regent has about 80% passengers from the U.S., there are likely 80% of the passengers that do not dress up during the day.   And, it seems like it is mostly people from the U.S. that would like to see jeans allowed at night:classic_wacko:

The quote about how people were dressed was from another poster. I just quoted what they had said just like you did with my quote.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

The class system is alive and well in the U.K.  While I do not understand it (even with my DH's explanations), it is what it is and I do not criticize it.  After all, every culture has their idiosyncrasies.  The class system is not all about wealth - you can be wealthy and have the wrong accent and be placed in a lower class. 

In terms of the ship, one of the many things that I love is that it is comfortability. The glamour of the ship is typically scrutinized the first day or so and then is forgotten.  What is important is the layout of the ship (best laid out La Veranda and Coffee Connection of any Regent ship and I doubt if anyone would argue that).  The only other Regent ship with large public areas is Mariner and Mariner pales in comparison to Explorer.  

Not everyone loves the ship - just as with other Regent ships.  You can focus on the theater issues, the dark woods, etc. and decide not to like it.  I have no doubt that there will be criticism of Splendor - even though the palette will be light tones and the theater will have better site lines.  Some people are not happy unless they have something to complain about.  While not a complaint, I am disappointed that Splendor will not have the Prayer Wheel outside of Pacific Rim.  This is a special part of Explorer that is meaningful to me.  

•  

1 hour ago, English Voyager said:

Presumably Regent had an input into the message being delivered by the series, and the demographic it was being aimed at.

Looking at the Explorer's June 2020 Southampton to Stockholm cruise, for an 'H' Veranda Suite the per diem rate is £550 per person.

Is that not aimed at 'monied' people?

The per diem on Regent and other luxury lines is not inexpensive.  However, some people save up a long time to take just one Regent cruise to celebrate a special occasion.  To me, while some people are "monied", others simply make luxury cruising a priority in their life and rather than buying expensive cars and homes, live more modestly so they have the money to cruise.  If you think about it, if your home and cars are paid off and you have no debt, it is likely that you could fairly easy afford 550 GBP/person/night.  

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

If you think about it, if your home and cars are paid off and you have no debt, it is likely that you could fairly easy afford 550 GBP/person/night.  

I don't know how to respond to this statement, but I would appreciate knowing what data you are using to make such a comment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Enough- - this is about the show.

I agree that everyone decides on their priorities as to how to spend their money. Some people can not afford any price cruise. Some people can’t afford a luxury cruise. All people decide for themselves what they want and can afford. Some people save and do one Regent cruise instead of several mass market cruises. 

Explorer is about luxurious surroundings and spectacular service. That’s it. 

Sheila

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Someone nicely provided links for the first 2 shows and would greatly appreciate it if someone could post links for the last 2 shows. I don't use Facebook so can't access them that way. 

Thanks to anyone who can post the links. 

Could someone please post the links for the first two shows, as we aren't with Facebook either.  Thanks!!

I found the first one.....  Explorer Film - Part 1

And here is the second part  Explorer Part 2

Didn't test them - hope that they work!

P.S.  Sheila - Isn't it a bit early to forget about the show?  It only aired the last episode 2 days ago.  I like that people are discussing it but wish that it were on the right thread instead of being lost in my Crystal thread.  

Edited by Travelcat2

3 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I apologize for taking this off-topic again, but I just finished the first two episodes. I certainly understand now why you find this line so fantastic.  Wow! Just Wow!!

Yes ... Regent is quite amazing. Good to hear that you enjoyed the show as much as we did!

On 9/15/2019 at 9:30 PM, Travelcat2 said:

I found the first one.....  Explorer Film - Part 1

And here is the second part  Explorer Part 2

Didn't test them - hope that they work!

P.S.  Sheila - Isn't it a bit early to forget about the show?  It only aired the last episode 2 days ago.  I like that people are discussing it but wish that it were on the right thread instead of being lost in my Crystal thread.  

Jackie

I guess you misunderstood my comments. I never suggested forgetting about the show. 

Nor not discussing it. My disappointment was that it was too focused on what everything cost. Not on the ship, John Barron, Stephane, the Captain and all the other staff and crew we love. 

Please re-read it. 

Hugs

sheila

6 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Jackie

I guess you misunderstood my comments. I never suggested forgetting about the show. 

Nor not discussing it. My disappointment was that it was too focused on what everything cost. Not on the ship, John Barron, Stephane, the Captain and all the other staff and crew we love. 

Please re-read it. 

Hugs

sheila

Sheila - sorry if I misunderstood. I'm till squite surprised that a show would be produced by the Brits about how much everything costs while knowing that discussing this would be a put off for their target audience.  

2 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Sheila - sorry if I misunderstood. I'm till squite surprised that a show would be produced by the Brits about how much everything costs while knowing that discussing this would be a put off for their target audience.  

Agreed!

BTW- I hope it doesn’t scare off potential Regent cruisers. They may assume that it is too snobby for them. I hope not, because most Regent regulars are some of the nicest folks I have ever met and always look forward to sailing with them again.

Sheila 

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

6 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Agreed!

BTW- I hope it doesn’t scare off potential Regent cruisers. They may assume that it is too snobby for them. I hope not, because most Regent regulars are some of the nicest folks I have ever met and always look forward to sailing with them again.

Sheila 

And I agree with you and am hoping that they do not show this in the U.S. as, IMO, it is not an accurate depiction of the the passenger mix or the way most passengers dress onboard the ship during the day.  Fortunately, I do not think that the majority of people in the U.S. even know about this program which is likely a good thing.  I do think that John did an amazing job -- he is a natural in front of the camera.

I'm only thru "episode 2" as I haven't seen this before. I'm still laughing over all of the previous posts about dress code! For heaven's sake, don't wear that ball cap or jeans, but you're most certainly allowed to have a top on that we're just waiting and hanging on, until there's a wardrobe malfunction....WOW! Holy Moly Andy!....big giggle!

I did feel it's a little off putting as some have mentioned, on how much everything costs....I did like the comment that someone made as they were leaving the ship at the very end...."we just cruise to have a good time"....which is what we do, here. It's not how much money or how ostentatious things are on board, it's how much fun can we have? We've been on ships for probably 40 years or more and have enjoyed and had a great time on little, cheapy, cruises ( Chandris Amerikanis,  Bermuda Star, etc) to pricey ones like grill class QM2 AND the Explorer.

I did enjoy the sheep farm excursion....that's our kind of thing. It's probably been trashed as it's not luxurious enough for Regent.

I could only hope they'd do more "local experiences" like that.  More than just having a local home visit or a trip to a basket factory. 

After re reading this, it sounds like I'm trashing Regent or the Explorer, which is not right at all. We love Regent and have recently enjoyed an Explorer cruise this past summer and are headed out on the little Navigator in another month. 

I guess what I'm saying is you don't have to spend a fortune to have fun....sure helps, however ! (LOL!)

On 9/8/2019 at 8:14 AM, AtA said:

"Again, it bothers me that all passengers do not have the opportunity to dine in Umi Uma one time - even on a seven night itinerary. "

As I mentioned on the other thread, they absolutely do and should. In fact they can go to the maitre'd  to find a time and a place to dine. It may or may not be their first choice for time. If they don't get satisfaction with the maitre'd, going down to the concierge will solve the problem. I know because on our last Alaskan cruise because of a mistake by our butler, we wound up without reservations in Prego. Once I went to the concierge, we had a reservation the following night.

Additionally, they can absolutely go sit any night there's room at the sushi bar in Umi Uma.

We already have favorites on Crystal that greet us wherever we see them on the ship.  Is this because we are in the top suite?  Perhaps but they seem to be friendly with other guests as well."

Absolutely NOT! Every single passenger once out of the room is treated exactly the same. 

I have to disagree on that last comment. We sailed Crystal and were in the lowest cabin category. The service we received was exceptional BUT twice we were seated close to the couple from the top penthouse and they had the head waiters and maître D by their table for the entire meal. Just to clarify we were not upset by this and considered it to be completely reasonable... in fact we got on famously with one of the head waiters and he even joked with us regularly I have to run to look after the “top” clients haha

50 minutes ago, teamflames said:

Just to clarify we were not upset by this and considered it to be completely reasonable... in fact we got on famously with one of the head waiters and he even joked with us regularly I have to run to look after the “top” clients haha

If that was happening it should have gone on your critique after the cruise. Yes the higher up you go, the more "perks" you get, but the whole idea of Crystal is once you're in the public spaces, you're supposed to be treated like everyone else.

Just now, AtA said:

If that was happening it should have gone on your critique after the cruise. Yes the higher up you go, the more "perks" you get, but the whole idea of Crystal is once you're in the public spaces, you're supposed to be treated like everyone else.

There was no need as I didn’t have a problem with it. As I mentioned the service we received was exceptional. We have tried Crystal, Seabourn, Regent, Viking and Azamara recently and service wise Crystal was the standout (the others were all very good - Seabourn the lowest). My impression was that everyone received exemplary service except the top suite which got a smidgen (where possible more). My post was supposed to be very lighthearted.

15 hours ago, teamflames said:

My impression was that everyone received exemplary service except the top suite which got a smidgen (where possible more).

Probably true for most lines. We have had top and bottom cabins/suites on several lines and felt we were treated slightly better as top cabin inhabitants. Just a smidgen better, for example they knew our names right away and made us feel 'important'. Most of the time, we are somewhere in the middle and enjoy exemplary service without that extra attention. 

On 9/17/2019 at 12:11 PM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Agreed!

Sheila 

I wouldn't worry about it. Discovery did a Mighty Ships episode on Crystal Serenity a few years back that followed a similar line. One clip had two "matronly" women humming and hawing over which $60K necklace they should buy!!! Judging by the numbers of new cruisers Crystal continues to attract, it does not seem to have turned too many people off. I'm sure people buy these necklaces, but in 20+ cruises on Serenity I can't say we have even been in the jewelery shop, and I suspect we are not alone! 

I'm shocked people buy anything from the in cruise stores, unless they truly need something they forgot at home or are just burning on board credit.   

The jewelry can be had for cheaper on land.  The other stuff in the gift shops you can find on Amazon for half  of the cost in the Regent store.  With having wifi on board, I've checked a few times when we've seen something of interest.