Stateroom free movies eliminated

Nymich

36 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Funny how we had to do all this legwork when X could have just announced this Cut by email or on their website.

You know this is perhaps the most annoying thing...At least those of us on CC that know there are no longer any free movies can work on plan B...How many none CC readers will board and just find something they expected (and possibly valued) has gone?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, twodjs said:

How is it that Holland America can offer lots of very current movies on demand all for FREE and charge less for their cabins when Celebrity charges way more and can't figure out how to provide decent movies built into the price of the cruise?

We have alternated between Celebrity and HAL since we started cruising, and cost cutting has been evident on both lines. This is very reminiscent of the numerous threads on the HAL board earlier this year when Holland America launched a trial run of charging passengers $10 (IIRC) if they chose to have a second main course. There was such a negative response that HAL deep-sixed the idea. If sufficient passengers complain about the removal of free movies, I would hope that Celebrity too would reverse its decision. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Nymich said:

What a surprise miscommunication by a cruise line between land and sea.  What I posted was fact and two others have checked in as well from Reflection and Silhouette.  They always had 14.99 movies now that is ALL THEY HAVE in the stateroom.

I know what you posted was fact and that is what I was trying to get thru to the rep, but the rep had a deaf ear as if passengers were making it up.  After the call, I sent a email too.

• Like 1

Count me among those who are disappointed with this change.  My family of 4 still cruise together (23 years and counting) and we will watch a movie or two in our cabin during each sailing.   Our son, in fact, likes to check out the free movie selections as soon as we check into our cabin because he likes to watch them late at night during the cruise.  

We took a Millennium cruise out of Venice in 2007 and we had spent 3 nights in Venice before the cruise.  When we got to our stateroom and changed the channels on our TV, we found the movie Casanova playing (2005, Heath Ledger, Sienna Miller, Jeremy Irons), which of course was set in Venice.  The timing was perfect as no one in my family had seen it before or was ever interested in seeing it--until we had visited Venice.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Because they charged you upfront for EVERYTHING whether you want it or not.  

Do a spread sheet and include movies, coffees, wine/beers, all balconies, upgrades spa etc and you'll note the price is compatible.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WAVTAM said:

Do a spread sheet and include movies, coffees, wine/beers, all balconies, upgrades spa etc and you'll note the price is compatible.

It's only comparable if you intended to use every one of those services.  At their prices.  If not, you're just subsidizing other people.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

We have alternated between Celebrity and HAL since we started cruising, and cost cutting has been evident on both lines. This is very reminiscent of the numerous threads on the HAL board earlier this year when Holland America launched a trial run of charging passengers $10 (IIRC) if they chose to have a second main course. There was such a negative response that HAL deep-sixed the idea. If sufficient passengers complain about the removal of free movies, I would hope that Celebrity too would reverse its decision. 

Exactly! I called and filed my complaint with Captain's Club this morning. I said if Holland America can do it for free - why can't Celebrity do the same? She agreed with me that watching free movies is the thing she loves to do on sea days. She asked my future booking # to pass my complaint on to the correct department.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chemmo said:

You know this is perhaps the most annoying thing...At least those of us on CC that know there are no longer any free movies can work on plan B...How many none CC readers will board and just find something they expected (and possibly valued) has gone?

While I cannot be sure, yet would presume that those who expect and/or value it, would say 'oh well' or go to GS to find out what the issue is with no free movies on the set.

Those who are pushed over the edge (LOL) about it will post a comment/complaint with GS and/or on the post cruise evaluation, that is if they do not forget about it. 😉

bon voyage

I'm not sure, depending on the alignment of the stars and the glass of wine I just consumed but...were the free movies available only on S-Class ships and not on M-class?

Since we book back to back cruises a month or so in a row, the free "newly released" movies were a nice option to watching the same "production" show every week.

In the day that so many people stream stuff, is this just not Celebrity's way to get people to buy the internet package if they wish to indulge their movie cravings?

Is this not the same reason that libraries were removed in the latest overhaul?  Let them bring their own kindle books!

Without the free movies, I'll just have to spend more time in the retreat drinking the still free beverages.

Passengers in their cabin don't generate enough income... go gamble, go shopping, go book another cruise..

7 minutes ago, Arno. said:

In the day that so many people stream stuff, is this just not Celebrity's way to get people to buy the internet package if they wish to indulge their movie cravings?

There would probably be less uproar if the internet was reliable enough to do that.  Knowing the limits of internet at sea, a cruise line should anticipate that this won't fly in their environment.  Airlines did away with inflight entertainment, and as horrible as they are, it's the one thing they're all adding back now that they're trying to be a little more customer friendly again.  

The HAL selections really are impressive.  Their live TV isn't anything to write home about but the extensive video on demand system (which includes TV shows as well as movies) they offer is very nice.  When they show a movie in their theater, it is also then available on the streaming system.  I think some of their older, smaller ships aren't all updated to it yet, though.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

It's only comparable if you intended to use every one of those services.  At their prices.  If not, you're just subsidizing other people.  

Did our first VO sailing last Nov. Cost for our PV cabin was under $250 pp per night.  With all the inclusions a great value.  Loved it immensely.  Yes, they had at least 50 free movies on demand, but little live tv.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

Those who are pushed over the edge (LOL) about it will post a comment/complaint with GS and/or on the post cruise evaluation, that is if they do not forget about it. 😉

bon voyage

With all due respect thanks to this thread MANY are calling and writing X so never think CC is not a good forum..   Telling Guest Services and putting it on the post cruise evaluation would seem to be a given but it is also a good suggestion.

BTW Celebrity Touch has admitted in an email to me today that X communicated poorly in taking away all Free in Stateroom on demand movies fleet wide.

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Believe what X is calling an expense savings is really a revenue grab  If the same movies that were formerly free are still available to watch (though now at $14.99), X's rental costs likely haven't come down.  Instead, X essentially instituted a price increase.  Wouldn't be surprised if LLP saw how many free movies passengers were watching, multiplied that number by $14.99 and added it to her revenue plan.  If so I'd recommend she cut that estimate by around 80%.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

While I cannot be sure, yet would presume that those who expect and/or value it, would say 'oh well' or go to GS to find out what the issue is with no free movies on the set.

bon voyage

I have no personal issue with this as we rarely watch tv. However, I feel it is morally wrong that many regular Celebrity cruisers may board soon and be disappointed.

I do understand that movie time can be down time for children.

I do understand that many guests enjoy ‘nodding off’ with an afternoon film.

I do understand that many guests (especially after a full port day) enjoy a crash out in room film.

If Celebrity communicates the change to customers then they do have the option to load iPads, buy cables....but with no warning, only disappointment awaits. Going to guest services and registering a complaint will not help them on their present cruise. Many guests will have expected free movies as  a part of their cruise experience and it is no longer there, no one told them and for some of them it is important. 

As I say, not important for us, but I cannot just dismiss the issue as I genuinely think it is important to many fellow cruisers.

I do understand that company policies and priorities change but Celebrity need to be far more proactive in ensuring their guests do not board and find their experience is less good than expected...

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, hcat said:

We never have and never will pay for a movie on a cruise or in a hotel.  So there won't be any revenue from us.  Just alot of pouting!

Same.  Especially if it is $14.99 for 24 hours when my kids will probably only watch 30 minutes of it each day but want to watch the same movie for 30 minutes EVERY day...

51 minutes ago, hcat said:

We'll make our call this week.

We can give them our 4 booking numbers.

Is anything buzzing about this issue on othe social media sites, including X fb?

I am not sure but I am sure it will get a big response.  I do not even have any small children but I am reading these posts about how kids like to watch the same half hour everyday and it really makes me feel for the families as well.  They save as a family for a cruise like this and this is what they get.  I hope someone gets it out there.  Not right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, harrywpb said:

I haven’t read the entire thread , however we’re currently on the Millennium and we have free movies. 

Harry 

Harry do me a favor.  Have you actually clicked on the movie and it does not have a box for $14.99?

I noticed last week when they stripped the free movies from the Equinox that it said free but the only thing that was free anymore was the X hype/sales videos.  Below that it only broke them down by category such as action, comedy etc....and all of those were $14.99.  There was no distinction between where "free" ended.  Hope this makes sense lol

2 hours ago, Arno. said:

I'm not sure, depending on the alignment of the stars and the glass of wine I just consumed but...were the free movies available only on S-Class ships and not on M-class?

Arno, there were free movies on our stateroom TV during our Jan 2017 Infinity cruise.