Explorer around the UK

chuckw

Not a review but some observations about our just completed cruise.  Due to the BA strike we were rerouted on Iceland Air, not non-stop and more like domestic first class.  The food and service was much better than BA.  Glad we had Regent air.  This was our second Explorer cruise.  The staff was excellent in every way, except the Captain, there were two due to a change over, only showed up at the welcome aboard and Crew Capers.  First time in a dozen Regent cruises that the Captain wasn't visible around the ship.  We had very nice weather.  A little stormy around the top of Scotland, at night, and we missed Waterford due to it being a tender port.  The food was very good in all venues, Pacific Rim was our favorite.  Shore excursions were OK, too many long bus rides for our liking.  We thought the overall experience was what we expect from Regent if not a little above.

• Like 2

Thanks for your observations on Explorer, and very happy to hear that Regent stepped up during the BA strike.

We are not fans of BA, so your comments about the food and service being better on Icelandic is not surprising.  We avoid booking BA if at all possible.

Nice comments on the Regent onboard experience.  We disembarked Navigator last month, and also thought the experience was top notch.

To be honest I’ve never really noticed whether the captain is visible or not.  I’m pretty sure I’ve at least met most of our captains but I can’t recall ever having deep conversations with any of them.

GMs, Staff Captains, F&B Directors, CDs, etc...different story.  I guess I fall into the “I’ll dine or chat with just about anyone, passenger or crew, and I’ll have a good time doing it...don’t really care who you are or what you do as long as we have an interesting time”.

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

To be honest I’ve never really noticed whether the captain is visible or not.  I’m pretty sure I’ve at least met most of our captains but I can’t recall ever having deep conversations with any of them.

GMs, Staff Captains, F&B Directors, CDs, etc...different story.  I guess I fall into the “I’ll dine or chat with just about anyone, passenger or crew, and I’ll have a good time doing it...don’t really care who you are or what you do as long as we have an interesting time”.

Don't know if you've every sailed with Captain Serena Melani, but we found her to be one of the most outgoing and engaging masters we've encountered on our 30+ cruises (on various lines).  IMO, a great choice by Regent as the captain launching the Splendor.

I do agree with your philosophy.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

Don't know if you've every sailed with Captain Serena Melani, but we found her to be one of the most outgoing and engaging masters we've encountered on our 30+ cruises (on various lines).  IMO, a great choice by Regent as the captain launching the Splendor.

I do agree with your philosophy.

I’ve heard that about her and I’d gladly sail with her just to see if it’s true.  Of course, that would just be a reason to sail on Splendor, so that’s a plus, too.

i guess the one captain I remember being more gregarious was Captain MacNeill (sp?) about 10 years ago.  He was out and about quite a bit.

I agree with Bill about captain McNeil.  He was(is) truly an officer and a gentleman, very down to earth and you could tell that he had the utmost respect for his hardworking crew.

One day he stopped to chat with us, and the next day we found an invitation to dine with him (and his wife and son were on board).  We're just a couple of nobodies from Podunk, so we were extremely surprised that we received an invitation.  It was an enjoyable dinner, although I have to admit we were very nervous because I thought we'd be way out of our league.  That wasn't the case at all, as it turned out.  We were lucky enough to sail with him one other time.

And I'll tell you, he's very handsome as well....the kilt didn't hurt either....

4 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

I’ve heard that about her and I’d gladly sail with her just to see if it’s true.  Of course, that would just be a reason to sail on Splendor, so that’s a plus, too.

i guess the one captain I remember being more gregarious was Captain MacNeill (sp?) about 10 years ago.  He was out and about quite a bit.

Oh yes - we loved Captain McDreamy (my name for him).

'Different Strokes for different folks, as the saying goes.  

We were on this Explorer segment as the second of a BTB.  The initial was from Stockholm to Southampton.   Overall, another two great cruises.  As to British Air vs. Iceland Air:  our experience was different.   When on our one (and last!) Iceland Air experience, it was pathetic as to food, service, and conditions at Iceland.  That airport was overwhelmed with passengers in transit either from Canada and the USA to Europe; or visa versa.  Never again on Iceland Air.  

As to British Air:  We did our own air for the Seattle-Stockholm segment.  That was United via Newark.   Like clockwork.  No issues, even at Newark.  Concierge at the Stockholm hotel arranged a car transfer from Airport to hotel.  Everything on time.  Early check-in to our room. 

Fortunately, did not have to encounter any work stoppages by BA as to the 09/23 return, N/S, Heathrow to Seattle.   And, the BA Pilots have announced cancelation of an anticipated second work stoppage previously scheduled for 09/27. 

Yes, Heathrow was crowded, even on a Monday morning.   It always is.  But, efficient handling of transfer from Explorer to Heathrow.  Plenty of time for a pleasant stay in a Lounge.  (Suggest using the one at B Concourse; rather than A, if possible.)  As to flight itself:  on time.  Great food and service.  

As to accessibility of the Captain to guests:  The second Captain was joined at the hip, so-to-speak with our first Captain during the initial eight (maybe it was nine) cruise days of the Southampton-Southampton segment.  They were out and about on the ship; we chatted with both of them on one or two occasions (briefly).   These opportunities increased due, in part, to my decision to cancel several excursions due to coming down with a cold, and some mal de mere resulting from a rough North Sea segment rounding Scotland.   Our second Cpt. was traveling with his two sons for a day or two.   On our last full-day, my wife had another pleasant conversation with him (and his sons) during which she expressed her appreciation of his decision to cancel one stop due to anticipated rough seas.  He was approachable.  

Regent continues to meet,  and exceed our expectations.

GOARMY!

On 9/25/2019 at 2:17 AM, Travelcat2 said:

Oh yes - we loved Captain McDreamy (my name for him).

John McNeil is a wonderful man - we had the enormous pleasure of sailing with him twice and one of those was a TA (on the Navigator).   I am scratching my head to remember what music was always played (bagpipes) when we sailed...anyone remember??

He is now Head of Yacht Management with Bachmann Yachts in Guernsey...  what a loss to the cruise industry!!

I am almost certain it was lovely bagpipe music to the classic Rod Stewart “ We are Sailing “?

It was very emotional for sure. Captain McNeil was such a personable and charming captain. Being fellow Scots he was hoping my husband had brought his kilt on the cruise , sadly he hadn’t that occasion, so he took a friendly bit of patter from Cpt McNeil the evening he wore his. 

Agree he is very much missed.    Jean.

I was going to post a separate mini-review on this cruise but since chuckw and Goarmy have started it, I will weigh in here. When we cruise we generally are with UUNetBill's philosophy, go with the flow and have a good time. In a previous thread I listed the officers. Even though this was our 6th Regent cruise it was our first time on Explorer. It is indeed a beautiful ship and we really liked our F2 cabin. We had a couple of very minor hiccups that we mentioned in our midcruise review and the executive concierge called us that evening to respond. Our stewardess and her assistant were excellent. We did not have one bad meal, obviously some were better than others, but they were all good. We even tried the pool grill one night when we were tired, and we believe that it is a good alternative to room service. The wines were very drinkable and we had no problem getting another one that we had on another evening. All of the restaurant staff were excellent and very accommodating. Maria the restaurants manager was always visible and very approachable. I know there are many different views of the art on the ship. Considering how much time they spent picking it out, I thought they might have a sheet at the reception desk that lists all of the art, the artist and perhaps what the name of the piece was. They didn't have that. I do know that she is going in for a softgoods refurbish late next month, but I was a bit surprised that the carpet on the main stairway was threadbare on the edge of the steps. If indeed they want to be called the "most luxurious ship", I believe they should consider replacing the stair carpet in the most visible part of the ship earlier than three years. The destinations desk did a good job and we had no complaints. We decided not to go on one of the longer trips and were on standby on an alternative, and had no problem getting on that morning. Regarding the captain being visible, it doesn't matter to me. What matters to me is that they keep us informed and I thought he did an excellent job of that. He warned us about the upcoming rough North Seas, and indeed it was a rough night! They told us early about missing the Waterford port due to winds and the fact that they couldn't safely use tenders and they reprinted new Passages hours after that notification. We found the entertainment to be ok except for the non production shows. They had some local entertainment, including a group from Belfast, a tribute Beatles band in Liverpool, etc. We enjoyed these more than the production shows and I hope they do more of that. Crew Kapers is always our favorite however, and we were pleased there was a good crowd to support them.  We used Regent air and flew American outbound and BA in return. I know most on this board don't agree, but we happen to like upstairs on the old BA 747's. The service was superb and it is very quiet. We also used the Regent transfers. For a reason we don't understand (and didnt ask) we were given a private transfer to London, and then the buses to Southhampton and back to LHR. Unlike some, we didn't find this to be terrible at all. Except for a very few minor items, we had a GREAT cruise, probably one of our best if not the best. If our next three that we have booked are nearly as good, we will be very pleased!

Taxare: 

Appreciated your overview of the Southampton-Southampton segment.  Also noted the frayed carpet.  Quite a jolt, and a distraction from Explorer's overall stellar ambience.  For those complaining about the Theater's sight lines, particularly the balcony:  Absolutely agree.  So--when a local Irish dance group was scheduled for a pre-dinner performance, we got there early and sat in the balcony seats closest to the stage.  Could almost reach out and touch the performers.  A great venue for observing their footwork.  

Second the motion (notion) as to upstairs on the 747.  Quiet time on 09/23.  Too bad BA is phasing out its 747s.  

GOARMY!

Oh my goodness! There's so much I want to say....where to start?!

First....I'm in on all of Icelandic Air....flew Saga class to and from Iceland. Over was nice...ok..not gushy fabulous, but home trip was over the top wonderful. One of my most favorite meals..."Icelandic Tapas"...not too much food...all total quality, wonderful Icelandic "Ryka" vodka ( would buy in a heartbeat if i could find it at home!)...lie totally flat seats..very comfortable. Not a huge fan of BA...haven't really had a trip with them that didn't have some sort of glitch in it. Not bad, but not my favorite.

I'd love to cruise with uunet Bill....of course he's cute (LOL...giggle!) but he's got our cruise vibe down pat. We've really had few dinners on Regent that have included some of the "suits", but the ones we've had have been so comfortable, so low key, that they have been most enjoyable. We actually  had two on our last Explorer trip....one with the Exec. Concierge and the Destinations Manager and a couple from Scotland....closed the dining room down and we started early!!!!  The other was an invite from the speaker on northern European history....met for drinks and then dinner....so much fun!

Explorer entertainment....two production shows...."Paradis"....imho, one of best show we've seen on Regent. My husband doesn't usually make it past the first 10 minutes....stayed for the whole thing and loved it! "My Revolution"....loved it! Costumes, bare feet, great feel for the time....(gushing, sorry!) Anyway....VERY well done imho.....

I think that Regent offers a great all inclusive package for those of us who don't want to do our own thing...been there, done that, with some success, but we're "old" now and having things done for us is kind of a treat. I know we pay for that treat, but like John says, we don't do this every day! haha!

Wishing everyone a wonderful, memorable cruise, no matter what line you're on or where you go. If you're having fun, then it was the right trip!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, taxare said:

I know there are many different views of the art on the ship. Considering how much time they spent picking it out, I thought they might have a sheet at the reception desk that lists all of the art, the artist and perhaps what the name of the piece was. They didn't have that.

I have been on a ship before that had that - I believe they even had a laminated sheet in each of the cabins.  Also was on a Holland America ship that had an audio tour you could download prior to the trip that talked about the art.  It is a fun thing to do during time at sea!

8 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

I agree. We like the upstairs.  As you said it is quiet and have had good service each time we have been lucky enough to get up there. 

Thanks for your review. 

We also love BA upstairs!  I haven't mentioned this so that too many people do not decide to book BA and select a seat upstairs:classic_rolleyes:

There is one seat in BA Business class upstairs that is perfect for a solo traveller -- last row nearest the galley.  Easy access - you do not have to step over anyone!  I used to always try to get that seat when I flew BA.  But that was in the days when BA was a great airline to fly.  Times have changed!   And it is also about time the 747s were taken out of service.  "old war horses" those planes and noisy too.

6 hours ago, English Voyager said:

Under the current CEO, British Airways' reputation has deteriorated to that of a poor budget airline.

Still feel that BA is better than U.S. based airlines (but we do prefer Lufthansa, Cathay Pacific, etc.).  We have not been flying BA lately because of their stop in Heathrow - a difficult airport to maneuver and also, they have lost our luggage twice.

On 9/28/2019 at 10:14 AM, Travelcat2 said:

Still feel that BA is better than U.S. based airlines (but we do prefer Lufthansa, Cathay Pacific, etc.).  We have not been flying BA lately because of their stop in Heathrow - a difficult airport to maneuver and also, they have lost our luggage twice.

My last experience with LH was very different and now i try and avoid them if the stop is in FRA.  The flight was not good and the stop at FRA worse. 

I am hoping the upcoming flight with BA will be as good as the ones in the past. I know others' experiences with BA are quite different. 

2 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

My last experience with LH was very different and now i try and avoid them if the stop is in FRA.  The flight was not good and the stop at FRA worse. 

I am hoping the upcoming flight with BA will be as good as the ones in the past. I know others' experiences with BA are quite different. 

Agree - FRA is difficult at best.  We are flying Air Canada to Lisbon in November and, unfortunately, they stop at Heathrow.  Crossing my fingers that they don't lose our luggage.

1 hour ago, 1982CruzStart said:

I think your flight to Barcelona will be from Terminal 3 at Heathrow.  If you have the time to use a lounge, remember that in addition to the BA lounges, you can also use the very good Cathay Pacific and Qantas lounges in Terminal 3.

Dave

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Agree - FRA is difficult at best.  We are flying Air Canada to Lisbon in November and, unfortunately, they stop at Heathrow.  Crossing my fingers that they don't lose our luggage.

TC, would you mind sharing your hotel pre-cruise in Lisbon or thoughts  ? We have looked a LOT and can't seem to find anything that's good for a " one night stand ". Don't really want to spend $500/night and don't want a dump either. We are a ways out from our Lisbon to Cape Town trip in Nov. 2020 but want to get something going. Thank's, J&C