Aqua Class Questions

sjb317

We recently booked on infinity. Aqua class was only $30 more than booking regular veranda so we went with that. TA said we would have breakfast and dinner in Blu.  What can we expect meals to be like?  Also, anything else come with this class?  Thanks!

Sherri🙂

Edited by sjb317

We really like Blu.   Much smaller and quieter than MDR.   Mostly 2 tops but larger tables are available.  The tables are very close together, making it easy to visit with your neighbors if you like.  

The food is pretty darn good (not great), they claim it to be a healthier meal than the other choices but I wouldn’t bet on that.   

We like Blu better than the for pay upgrade restaurants.   Enjoy it!

Go into the Celebrity website and pull up the restaurant.  There is a sample menu.  May be breakfast though.  We LOVE Blu.  Meals are excellent.  You won't be disappointed.  Plus, you should be able to order some items off the MDR menu too.  Sometimes that depends on where the Blu galley is compared to the MDR galley.

We have never met Paul and Edward, but have read several of Paul's travel blogs.  As very frequent Celebriy cruisers with a number of nights in Blu I also suggest looking at "Chicagopaul"s thread which has been referenced by Jim ("Jim_Iain").  I thought it was a very balanced review and much more accurate as compared to our own experiences in Blu than another rather recent blog.

We love Blu! DH was a bit nervous the first time we booked Aqua. He's definitely not a spa food type of guy and I promised him that if he wasn't happy, we'd make arrangements to eat in the MDR.  We never did except once... 4 cruises later when we joined friends who were sailing with us, but were not in Aqua, to celebrate our friend's birthday. On Summit, because of the proximity of the Blu and MDR kitchens you may be able to order from the MDR as well. Also, if you're fond of the MDR starters like escargot, French onion soup, shrimp cocktail, Caesar Salad you can get those in Blu nightly (on any of the ships) even though they're not on the menu. The service in Blu is much more attentive due to its smaller size and is much more conducive to meeting special requests that the MDR. 

When you board on embarkation day you'll find an invitation from the Blu maître d for the first evening's dinner with a suggested dining time for the first night only. It is only a suggestion, and if that time's not to your liking you can go when it fits without any problem at all. Have a great trip!

BLU on Infinity will be excellent..and being located close to mdr,  you can usually ask for that menu too!

The Thermal suites  on M Class ships are interior so no ocean views or heated loungers.  But from the photos posted,  it seems like they have really done a nice job on the upgrade! Very nice tile work, soothing color,  relaxing decor.

On 9/28/2019 at 12:06 PM, sjb317 said:

We recently booked on infinity. Aqua class was only $30 more than booking regular veranda so we went with that. TA said we would have breakfast and dinner in Blu.  What can we expect meals to be like?  Also, anything else come with this class?  Thanks!

Sherri🙂

We personally didn't "love" blu- If the price is about the same as a balcony cabin, you get extra CC points.  We found the menus to be fair- and sitting so close to your neighbor disturbing- If you get a conversation hog- or somebody that is interrupting your conversation not really a private table.  

Another issue is the location of the cabin.  Some AQ cabins are located below a public area- making noise a real issue- check what is above your cabin.  Hopefully not the gym.  We also used the spa facilities for about 20 minutes once on the cruise-and when we did AQ  a second and third time, never used.  The snacks and teas in the stateroom aren't good IMO.

IMO if on a budget, I would book a balcony cabin- midship with cabins above and below and save the additional cost for dining mostly in the speciality restaurants.

But to each his/her own.  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, calicakes said:

I blogged on equinox last week. I posted pics of all the blu meals. Some were really good, some not really good. Food is so subjective.  The lobster was the best thing I had all week. 

You’re right,  it’s all subjective!😀

Sherri🙂

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We personally didn't "love" blu- If the price is about the same as a balcony cabin, you get extra CC points.  We found the menus to be fair- and sitting so close to your neighbor disturbing- If you get a conversation hog- or somebody that is interrupting your conversation not really a private table.  

Another issue is the location of the cabin.  Some AQ cabins are located below a public area- making noise a real issue- check what is above your cabin.  Hopefully not the gym.  We also used the spa facilities for about 20 minutes once on the cruise-and when we did AQ  a second and third time, never used.  The snacks and teas in the stateroom aren't good IMO.

IMO if on a budget, I would book a balcony cabin- midship with cabins above and below and save the additional cost for dining mostly in the speciality restaurants.

But to each his/her own.  Enjoy your cruise.

I have a feeling that we may agree with you after this cruise but it’s only a 4 day cruise so I should be able to tough it out!😂

Sherri🙂

9 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

I have a feeling that we may agree with you after this cruise but it’s only a 4 day cruise so I should be able to tough it out!😂

Sherri🙂

Uh oh, pre-conceived notions. Sounds like you are already convinced AQ and Blu may be a negative on the cruise. Sorry about that. I would suggest you enter your Blu experience with enthusiasm and a hearty appetite. It absolutely is the case that BLU does not suit everyone, for whatever reason, but neither does any DR or specialty restaurant on any ship at any given time. I think you will be very satisfied if you give the venue an open-minded chance. If you are convinced that it won't work, then it probably won't. I like BLU. I hope you do too.

• Like 2

Since X removed the Ocean Liners/Murano specialty restaurants from the M class ships, DH and I enjoy dining in Blu on cruises sailing those ships. There are no specialty restaurants we like on those ships and Blu, with the smaller room and better service does make the dining experience more special. 

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Uh oh, pre-conceived notions. Sounds like you are already convinced AQ and Blu may be a negative on the cruise. Sorry about that. I would suggest you enter your Blu experience with enthusiasm and a hearty appetite. It absolutely is the case that BLU does not suit everyone, for whatever reason, but neither does any DR or specialty restaurant on any ship at any given time. I think you will be very satisfied if you give the venue an open-minded chance. If you are convinced that it won't work, then it probably won't. I like BLU. I hope you do too.

I am basing my comments on the menus I have read, not impressed with the selections but we shall see.  I may not like Blu but I do like Celebrity so it’s no big deal, if we don’t enjoy Blu we’ll just avoid Aqua Class in the future. 

Sherri🙂

12 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

I am basing my comments on the menus I have read, not impressed with the selections but we shall see.  I may not like Blu but I do like Celebrity so it’s no big deal, if we don’t enjoy Blu we’ll just avoid Aqua Class in the future. 

Sherri🙂

That's fair, Sherri. As a neighbor in Satellite Beach, I want all my fellow residents to be happy. 

58 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

That's fair, Sherri. As a neighbor in Satellite Beach, I want all my fellow residents to be happy.

My wife's co-worker here in LA is from Satellite Beach and she'll be moving back as soon as she retires next year.  

As far as Blu goes, you can always get a steak, chicken breast or salmon if nothing on the menu appeals to you. 

My picky wife thought the chicken breast was better than the featured chicken breast a few days later that was on the Blu menu.  Further, you can always modify dishes.  For instance, I deleted the caviar on one of the apps, I deleted blue cheese, I deleted a sauce, etc.  My wife would sub out the various starches for mashed potatoes and I would do a baked potato instead of a particular side.  They want to please you, remember that.  Our server would bring half portions of pasta dishes as "sides' instead of entrees.  You can also always get shrimp cocktail, escargot and french onion soup. 

4 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Sherri🙂

Doubt you'll be toughing it out!

Service is usually much better than mdr, they will personalize many dishes to please your taste and the breakfast is  so nice and un rushed. 

There is usually something we like, although they could  get rid of some of the game birds. Give it a fair shot...4 days us a good period  to  sample AQ Class at a good price

Edited by hcat

2 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

We actually owned a townhome in the Montecito neighborhood of Satellite Beach that we used as a vacation home for 8 years. Made the move permanent last year, sold the townhome and bought another one in Indian Harbour Beach.  Small world!

Sherri🙂

2 hours ago, calicakes said:

My wife's co-worker here in LA is from Satellite Beach and she'll be moving back as soon as she retires next year.  

As far as Blu goes, you can always get a steak, chicken breast or salmon if nothing on the menu appeals to you. 

My picky wife thought the chicken breast was better than the featured chicken breast a few days later that was on the Blu menu.  Further, you can always modify dishes.  For instance, I deleted the caviar on one of the apps, I deleted blue cheese, I deleted a sauce, etc.  My wife would sub out the various starches for mashed potatoes and I would do a baked potato instead of a particular side.  They want to please you, remember that.  Our server would bring half portions of pasta dishes as "sides' instead of entrees.  You can also always get shrimp cocktail, escargot and french onion soup. 

Good to know😀.

Sherri🙂

54 minutes ago, hcat said:

Doubt you'll be toughing it out!

Service is usually much better than mdr, they will personalize many dishes to please your taste and the breakfast is  so nice and un rushed. 

There is usually something we like, although they could  get rid of some of the game birds. Give it a fair shot...4 days us a good period  to  sample AQ Class at a good price

Breakfast is a concern of mine as we never eat breakfast in the MDR on any of the cruises we’ve been on as it seems to “formal” for us in the morning.  Is there a dress code?

Sherri🙂

Nothing formal about BLU, esp for breakfast... not sure where you get that  impression.  

We like to sit and be served our coffee,   danish and  breakfast.  They have nice yogurt parfaits too. (  but no waffles).  We do not  feel rushed there  in the am but  it's  not dragged out either,  and you do not have to wait for a large tbl to fill up like in the mdr.

Shorts and polos/ tees are fine..no pool wear..some may wear gym wear but we don't.

The hours are diff from the mdr  ? and buffet  so sometimes  for early excursions we do the buffet...

21 minutes ago, hcat said:

Nothing formal about BLU, esp for breakfast... not sure where you get that  impression.  

We like to sit and be served our coffee,   danish and  breakfast.  They have nice yogurt parfaits too. (  but no waffles).  We do not  feel rushed there  in the am but  it's  not dragged out either,  and you do not have to wait for a large tbl to fill up like in the mdr.

Shorts and polos/ tees are fine..no pool wear..some may wear gym wear but we don't.

The hours are diff from the mdr  ? and buffet  so sometimes  for early excursions we do the buffet...

If pool wear is not allowed then we won’t be doing breakfast in Blu 😀.  For sea days I am either in gym clothes or bathing suit with coverup so that is why my impression of the MDR is it is more formal.  We’ll probably just stick with the buffet.

Sherri🙂

Many people,  including me,  were in their gym clothes at breakfast in Blu on the Solstice this summer. I have a wrap that i wore over my gym attire.   Many others were similarly dressed... breakfast was great!  I saw everything from casual jeans to cocktail dresses in the evening, definitely dressier than breakfast but still not formal.