ACTIVITIES OUTREACH!!

CruiseGuy2020

Hello everyone!
I have a friend who works for Celebrity Cruises in the Activities Department and the other day he was telling me that he is stuck when it comes to innovating the activities for guests. Of course, you can't please everyone, but I figured why not reach out to the true cruise community and see what their feedback was! Any info you share with me here I'll pass along to him!

What activities would you all like to see or see more of on Celebrity?
What activities stand out to you past cruisers?

Why, if at all, have you been disappointed in the past?

What could celebrity do to have the best activities at sea!?

Cheers everyone!

_cruiseguy2020

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Seems to me that someone in the Activities Dept who can't come up with ideas for activities is perhaps in the wrong job? Just a thought. 

A couple of things spring to mind.

-People like trivia. But many are turned off by the same questions being asked on every. single. cruise.  How about coming up with a LOT more new questions that could be rotated or shuffled? Themed trivia on different days?

- The lectures at sea used to be much more plentiful, it seems to me. More presentations based on the itinerary- history and cultural aspects of the areas being visited would be nice. Some of the best I've attended have been by historians, anthropologists and archeologists.  Last  year on our Asian cruise there was a series of lectures on Buddhism by a crew member- very à propo.

- Cooking demonstrations by some of the chefs. There's a reason why the food network is so popular.

And can someone PLEASE turn down the volume on the canned music being played at the pool or in the bars when live music isn't being performed? You can't hear yourself think, never mind carry on a conversation with others.

PS: I hope the Silent Disco will be staying around for a long time. Whoever brought that idea to Celebrity deserved a big fat bonus.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 7

I most certainly agree with the comments posted. I'm not much for the organized activities except the lectures. I would try to return to the days when the names and topics were published in advance so that if interested a passenger could do some background reading prior to the cruise. 

The growing problem with adding new activities is place to hold them. Evidently Celebrity has decided to reduce public space in favor of private space and more cabins. At one time Michael's Club was used for activities. That ended when it became a Suite venue. The renovations of the S Class ships will reduce the size of the Sky Lounge by half and the Card Room will disappear.  This will potentially cause card players and crafters to gravitate to al Bacio and the Oceanview Cafe causing more seating problems at peak times. The Activities Staff has also been reduced to save costs. These trends make additional activities almost impossible unless they replace existing activities. I feel sorry for those responsible for activities who are trying to do a good job, but have had one hand tied behind their back. 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, mom says said:

...Seems to me that someone in the Activities Dept who can't come up with ideas for activities is perhaps in the wrong job?...

Exactly. Celebrity needs to send out a customer survey and officially ask this. I'm on their mailing list and get plenty of promo emails from Celebrity. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Exactly. Celebrity needs to send out a customer survey and officially ask this. I'm on their mailing list and get plenty of promo emails from Celebrity. 

I think, as ORATOR mentioned above, the issue isn't necessarily coming up with new ideas. It's just about quality ideas. I think a customer survey may be hugely beneficial for this! 

10 minutes ago, Orator said:

I most certainly agree with the comments posted. I'm not much for the organized activities except the lectures. I would try to return to the days when the names and topics were published in advance so that if interested a passenger could do some background reading prior to the cruise. 

The growing problem with adding new activities is place to hold them. Evidently Celebrity has decided to reduce public space in favor of private space and more cabins. At one time Michael's Club was used for activities. That ended when it became a Suite venue. The renovations of the S Class ships will reduce the size of the Sky Lounge by half and the Card Room will disappear.  This will potentially cause card players and crafters to gravitate to al Bacio and the Oceanview Cafe causing more seating problems at peak times. The Activities Staff has also been reduced to save costs. These trends make additional activities almost impossible unless they replace existing activities. I feel sorry for those responsible for activities who are trying to do a good job, but have had one hand tied behind their back. 

A lot of this was mentioned in our conversation. The focus really seems to be shifting.

46 minutes ago, mom says said:

A couple of things spring to mind.

-People like trivia. But many are turned off by the same questions being asked on every. single. cruise.  How about coming up with a LOT more new questions that could be rotated or shuffled? Themed trivia on different days?

- The lectures at sea used to be much more plentiful, it seems to me. More presentations based on the itinerary- history and cultural aspects of the areas being visited would be nice. Some of the best I've attended have been by historians, anthropologists and archeologists.  Last  year on our Asian cruise there was a series of lectures on Buddhism by a crew member- very à propo.

- Cooking demonstrations by some of the chefs. There's a reason why the food network is so popular.

PS: I hope the Silent Disco will be staying around for a long time. Whoever brought that idea to Celebrity deserved a big fat bonus.

Some great thoughts here! Thank you!

1 minute ago, CruiseGuy2020 said:

I think, as ORATOR mentioned above, the issue isn't necessarily coming up with new ideas. It's just about quality ideas. I think a customer survey may be hugely beneficial for this! 

Suggest that to your friend. More than happy to answer Celebrity directly or through whoever they would use to solicited ideas. 

• Like 2

Cooking demo's and bring back more cooking classes.  The jewelry making that was formerly on the Reflection was well n attended. They could do more classes like that or painting, photography at no or very minimal fee to cover supplies.

I also agree that changing up some of the existing things - Liar's club uses the same questions although 1 CD said there were 40 to choose from the officers liked staying with the same ones.   I have heard every conceivable definition of "fullfart".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mom says said:

It can't cost much to have that more than one night on a 7-night cruise.  

Maybe add a clone of Build-A-Bear for footstools.

• Haha 2

I will echo all the positive comments on Silent Disco.  Definitely need another night of that!!

Other thoughts:

• Lectures that are on a topic related to the cruise destination.  For instance, if you are going to islands known for rum, a lecture on rum.  NOT a sales "lecture" a true educational lecture.  Or if you are going to an island that has a primary language other than English, a fun class with simple words to learn - i.e. San Juan - spanish, St. Martin/Marteen - dutch and french.
  • Also, that could work for the cooking classes, make them destination specific.
  • Dance classes NOT by the pool.  There used to be 1 line dance type class and 1 ballroom type class a day inside. 
  • I liked the jewelry making class idea.  That could also be tailored to the destination.
  • A Murder Mystery dinner or a "Clue" type game could be hosted.  Nothing like a "who done it" on a cruise ship.  

Personally, I like that your friend asked you and you asked us.  This type of grassroots ask is how you brainstorm ideas.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orator said:

The Activities Staff has also been reduced to save costs.

Agree, and that’s why many of the activities were slashed: not enough staff to run it anymore. Doesn’t matter how many great ideas you have if you haven’t got anyone to host it.

2 hours ago, sunnydrk said:

I will echo all the positive comments on Silent Disco.  Definitely need another night of that!!

Other thoughts:

• Lectures that are on a topic related to the cruise destination.  For instance, if you are going to islands known for rum, a lecture on rum.  NOT a sales "lecture" a true educational lecture.  Or if you are going to an island that has a primary language other than English, a fun class with simple words to learn - i.e. San Juan - spanish, St. Martin/Marteen - dutch and french.
  • Also, that could work for the cooking classes, make them destination specific.
  • Dance classes NOT by the pool.  There used to be 1 line dance type class and 1 ballroom type class a day inside. 
  • I liked the jewelry making class idea.  That could also be tailored to the destination.
  • A Murder Mystery dinner or a "Clue" type game could be hosted.  Nothing like a "who done it" on a cruise ship.  

Personally, I like that your friend asked you and you asked us.  This type of grassroots ask is how you brainstorm ideas.

I think these are great ideas!

4 hours ago, jelayne said:

I also agree that changing up some of the existing things - Liar's club uses the same questions although 1 CD said there were 40 to choose from the officers liked staying with the same ones.  

They like having their Liar's Club responses already prepared in advance as it makes them appear smart and witty, so they don't need to think up new off-the-cuff answers.

However, Celebrity cruises get a lot of repeat passengers who do not find it very entertaining to hear the same questions and answers over and over again.

Many passengers really enjoy the free Latin Dance sessions.

But on hot or cold weather cruises they should be held indoors in a temperature controlled venue, not out on deck.

We hope Celebrity continues to offer these classes on a regular schedule, but they should make people aware that what Celebrity calls  "Latin Dance" is actually equivalent to Zumba, only without the Zumba name and price. 

It would probably be better to call it something entirely different.

The name "Latin Dance" can be confusing as it is easy to assume  that Latin Dance will be ballroom couples dancing, like the tango or rumba.

Adding to the confusion, the ship also offers ballroom dance classes, as well as Zumba classes.

They were charging $10 for one 45 minute Zumba class plus tacking on a service charge!

But there is no charge for their "Latin Dance" classes, which are essentially the same thing.

We also enjoy presentations about the places we will be visiting or passing by,  the truly informative talks, (not port shopping pitches), especially when given by knowledgeable, entertaining speakers like Milos Radakovich or Brent Nixon.

On clear, starry nights we like when they come out on deck with the passengers to point out various features that are visible in the night sky.

Additionally, we like to attend talks by various ship employees and entertainers about their jobs, but those need to be chosen carefully because some who are very capable and knowledgeable are not good public speakers, or have heavy accents that are difficult to understand.

The Q&A sessions with the officers are very popular, but it seems they have been cutting back on those lately. 

(Someone said it is because the passengers enjoy them much more than the officers do.)

We have also enjoyed some of the crew talent shows, and some of the local talent occasionally brought on board at various ports.

It is nice to give those talented crew members some recognition, making them feel like the celebrities on Celebrity.

The most disappointing, pathetic "activity" is when a desperate, incompetent cruise director or activity manager tries to kill time by asking the passengers to compete to see which group, or which side of the room,  can scream the loudest.

Any activity or cruise director who does that should be assigned to clean the public toilets for a week.

Edited by varoo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved Dancing With The Stripes! It was fun, silly and got everyone laughing. Seems like Celebrity has stopped doing it and Royal has picked it up on some cruises.

Also enjoyed the Top Chef competition.

Very disappointed that the Activities staff has been so drastically cut.

• Like 2

Several of us who are due to sail on Edge or have already had the pleasure, think that Celebrity should offer an official Art Tour. On Edge class ships, it seems that unique and novel art is very much part of the experience. Many of us would jump at the chance to take an informative Art Tour led by someone who can tell us some background about important pieces... why was this piece chosen? What is the message or mood that the artist is trying to convey? What's an interesting tidbit to know about the artist? What materials is it made out of? etc.

You could even make a contest at the end of who can match up the most art pieces with their locations or something.

I'd pay for this like I do a Behind the Scenes or Theater Tour, but only if it was a good quality tour. Not a tour led by an intern with a microphone who just reads off the placards, but someone who has been provided a lot of interesting background about the pieces and is eager to share his or her love of art. Considering how much art there is on Edge, I'd be really surprised if there isn't already at least one person onboard at all times who has the job of art curator and is responsible for their care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to see "Cruise Critic LIVE!"

Those interested gather in a room and a "live thread starter" is offered up - something along the lines of "ALL the food in the MDR is inedible!" or, say "Can I get away with shorts, a beater or flip flops in the MDR for dinner? My friend did last year on Summit." or how about "I always have the auto grats removed - why should I have to pay the crew's wages???"

Participants would bring their own devices and use them to respond to these threads live, in the same room as the others. Wouldn't it be great fun to watch each others' reactions and try to guess who was posting what? Could you "spot the cheapskate"? Would you figure out who would try to game the dress code and who would call the fashion police?  

The activity could go on and on and on for days - possibly the whole cruise! There could be prizes for those who get 3 or more "likes" on their post. A moderator could ask unruly posters to leave in shame. Maybe Captain Kate could join in for a Celebrity guest post or two...   Great fun, I think!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

Several of us who are due to sail on Edge or have already had the pleasure, think that Celebrity should offer an official Art Tour. On Edge class ships, it seems that unique and novel art is very much part of the experience. Many of us would jump at the chance to take an informative Art Tour led by someone who can tell us some background about important pieces... why was this piece chosen? What is the message or mood that the artist is trying to convey? What's an interesting tidbit to know about the artist? What materials is it made out of? etc.

You could even make a contest at the end of who can match up the most art pieces with their locations or something.

I'd pay for this like I do a Behind the Scenes or Theater Tour, but only if it was a good quality tour. Not a tour led by an intern with a microphone who just reads off the placards, but someone who has been provided a lot of interesting background about the pieces and is eager to share his or her love of art. Considering how much art there is on Edge, I'd be really surprised if there isn't already at least one person onboard at all times who has the job of art curator and is responsible for their care.

I am working on the Art Walk for  our roll call on the upcoming EDGE cruise Nov 15th...Wish X would have done it but I think our do it ourselves efforts will be fun.  Using the EDGE art book and other sources for info about the pieces and  artists

We also used to enjoy the early am stretching up in the top deck  ..Is there even such a space anymore???

And for  pool activities the  scavenger hunt styled " do you have this item  with you "  ( like orange hat, green shirt, paper clip nail file, etc) was fun..  also loved the horse race activity back in Royal C 

NOTE:   Louder and in your face not always better!

On a Millennium cruise in 2014 we enjoyed a comedy improv workshop hosted by a couple who engaged the participants and welcomed observers. I recall there were at least 3 sessions on sea days and a grand finale performed by guests in the Sky Lounge.

DH has loved drawing workshops and watercolor classes aboard.

Perhaps Celebrity could bring an author aboard and have a ship-wide read with a lecture and Q&A by the author to follow. This has been done in schools and communities with participation totally voluntary. On a recent Eclipse cruise our roll call had an author's wife as a member- when I suggested a book discussion she mentioned her DH's new novel, The Third Law. It was read by about 30 of us and the writer reserved a conference room to speak about his work and take questions. 

4774Papa ran a "Murder at Sea" for interested roll call members on a 2017 TA. Those of us participating had a blast and lasting friends have been made. I'm sure Celebrity could figure out a way to run these murder mysteries and make a profit!

• Like 1

Great ideas.

We also miss the Breast Cancer Awareness free dance / lite exercise sesion up in the lounge with  the activities staff. Bought a tee shirt..,proceeds  went to a  bc  support / research group...Survivors, friends family, supporters  and many Officers attended.,.SRO..

.Bring it Back...esp in October!  Lots of emotions, bonding   and fun too!

I mentioned this  on the LLP Q and A thread...hope there's follow through

• Like 1

How about a wine and painting activity - we have several where I live.  Everyone in the class paints the same picture - could be a palm tree at sunset, etc.  The painting would have to be small enough to fit into suitcases and come with packaging.  

I agree with the above poster about the breast cancer awareness.  Celebrity could partnership with Making Strides Against Breast Cancer (American Cancer Society) or another such group.

• Like 2