Three pair of shoes for Alaska

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

Anita, I have those same boots. Great for light hiking

Awesome...I haven't tried them on quite yet...which is a bummer because it is eating into my 30 day guarantee trial period...but I'm trying to give my blisters more time. But I love my trail runners, and the other shoes I have from Altra...very good brand for me.

9 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Awesome...I haven't tried them on quite yet...which is a bummer because it is eating into my 30 day guarantee trial period...but I'm trying to give my blisters more time. But I love my trail runners, and the other shoes I have from Altra...very good brand for me.

When Spring comes around, I'll have to look at Altrec for my new trail runners.  My favorite Solomons really did bite the dust for trails and I'm not happy with my replacement Solomons.  

Are you using those Band Aid blister gel bandages?  They aren't bulky like your "cut a hole in it" moleskin, stay on really well, and you can tell when the blister is healing up.  I have them in different sizes in my toiletries kit all the time!  There are ones that work when you get that rub on the little toe, the ones for heels. 

• Like 1

Altra is a comfortable shoe/trainer. Nice big toe box & not so loose at the heel. Our daughter (marathoner) is sponsored by Altra (used to be sponsored by Solomon). She loves them. I love those blister gel bandaids, they really work

13 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Are you using those Band Aid blister gel bandages?  They aren't bulky like your "cut a hole in it" moleskin, stay on really well, and you can tell when the blister is healing up.  I have them in different sizes in my toiletries kit all the time!  There are ones that work when you get that rub on the little toe, the ones for heels. 

I didn’t use any bandages. I’m fortunate in that I have no need to wear anything but my Birks so can just let nature take its course. After day 2-3, the liquid was completely reabsorbed. Just giving time for the under blister skin to harden before really chancing the blister sloughing off.

Altra is based on “foot shape” so the shape of the footprint of their shoes resembles a barefoot foot print with the big toe going straight forward and not angled outward in any way. I think their tag line is “embrace the room.”

Zero drop is the other standard. Zero drop means that there is no difference in the height of the sole under the toes and under the heel. So no raised heel at all. Most shoes have a slightly raised heel, even if they aren’t heels...even flats can have that extra square added to the out sole under the heel that adds as little as 1/8 inch or more. Depending on how often you go barefoot and what other style shoes you wear (Birks are zero drop shoes), it can be a bit of an adjustment to condition your calves etc.

I’ve had a major focus on my foot health for several years now...becoming hyper aware of body alignment as I tore my ACL several years ago and deciding on conservative treatment, basically no treatment, I am now what can be labeled ACL deficient in one knee, living life without one. Body mechanics are very important for me and that relates strongly to alignment and so I’ve made some decisions about my footwear. I have a few pairs of shoes that aren’t zero drop and now I find that I will suffer a lower back ache, among other consequences, if I wear them, even for just a few hours. It’s really something to nurture that body awareness...something that I have a high awareness of already and one contributing factor in my ability to have conservative treatment.

If you order directly from Altra, they have a 30 day guarantee trial. So you can test out the shoes, the size, the style. My first pair wasn’t working and I explained my issues when calling for the return and was able to do an exchange to try out a different style and size. I find their customer service excellent.

• Like 2

this is totally OT, but:

Awhfy - I hope you are faring OK during this storm!!!  I saw video on TV of a semi truck that got blown over on the highway in Co. Springs.  I've shoveled my driveway once and I have another foot on it from yesterday/last night that I have to get to.  I couldn't even get out to drive to get coffee this morning!!!  It's still snowing, but I can't wait anymore.

Be safe!!

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

this is totally OT, but:

Awhfy - I hope you are faring OK during this storm!!!  I saw video on TV of a semi truck that got blown over on the highway in Co. Springs.  I've shoveled my driveway once and I have another foot on it from yesterday/last night that I have to get to.  I couldn't even get out to drive to get coffee this morning!!!  It's still snowing, but I can't wait anymore.

Be safe!!

I was in a travel trailer, camped near Ridgecrest when the storm hit.

Crazy!

6" of snow came down. We all hunkered down for an extra day so the road crews could take care of things.  I am thoroughly familiar with my RV, but it's better to wait out the worst conditions.  I'm just hoping road conditions continue to be sort of ok tomorrow so I can get home!

16 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

Crazy!

6" of snow came down. We all hunkered down for an extra day so the road crews could take care of things.  I am thoroughly familiar with my RV, but it's better to wait out the worst conditions.  I'm just hoping road conditions continue to be sort of ok tomorrow so I can get home!

Yikes!  Very smart to stay put an extra day.  

It usually takes about 15-20 minutes for me to shovel my little flat driveway - yesterday it took over an hour!  The stuff the snowplow left in front of my driveway was up to my knees and really thick.  The extra time was just getting that stuff moved to the sides of the driveway.  I was exhausted when I finished.  

21 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

Crazy!

I-80 around Donner Summit in NorCal has been closed or in "chain control" mode off and on for several days now. Even here in Reno we've gotten several inches. We're so happy to not be living in that any more.