Three pair of shoes for Alaska

16 hours ago, southjerseyboatgirl said:

But I think I should also get a pair of hiking boots for the trip.  Any suggestions for waterproof, lightweight ones would be appreciated. 

What brands fit you best? Look to them for a waterproof hiker (or, waterproof what you buy with some silicone spray if you won't use a goretex shoe enough in the future) I currently have 1 pr of leather hiking boots (that I've had for ages, that I ADORE, but that I do not like for travel - they're heavy and a little awkward) Since we don't do TOO much hiking on most of our trips, a lower height hiking shoe has been fine - I have some goretex options from Merrell and Lowa, as well as some "walking shoes" from German company Haglofs. I think the Lowa are the lightest weight. Much of the weight comes in the sole - and I like a nice thick & supportive sole (great for cobblestones in Europe too ;-)

On 10/9/2019 at 2:44 PM, Ann_on_the_road said:

And then I see a French woman tourist in similar gear at our local coffee shop, with a perfect scarf over it all that makes it look stylish. How, I do not know. One day I will stop and ask one of them how she learned to do that. 

I got my Dry on the Fly Slim Leg pants in the mail yesterday.  So cool!!!!  I'll be wearing them on my trip!!!  

I'm taking one of my scarves that I bought in Florence with me - maybe I'll look stylish when I hop into a coffee joint in Moab, Page, Kanab, and Springville... Yes, I'm camping 80% of the time, but I will stop for coffee on the road!!   And, I've got that hat that is now in the Sundance Catalog (the Sierra Summit) to dress up my stuff at night. 😉 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I got my Dry on the Fly Slim Leg pants in the mail yesterday.  So cool!!!!  I'll be wearing them on my trip!!!  

I'm taking one of my scarves that I bought in Florence with me - maybe I'll look stylish when I hop into a coffee joint in Moab, Page, Kanab, and Springville... Yes, I'm camping 80% of the time, but I will stop for coffee on the road!!   And, I've got that hat that is now in the Sundance Catalog (the Sierra Summit) to dress up my stuff at night. 😉 

Hope it warms up for you. We are not amused by this early blast of cold weather.

2 hours ago, Ann_on_the_road said:

Hope it warms up for you. We are not amused by this early blast of cold weather.

I'm not amused, either!  I was thinking I could get a few days of T-shirts and shorts in before the snow...  Oh well, my sleeping bag is good to 10 and I'm throwing an old down comforter in the car just in case.  I can always bundle up in it when I'm sitting in my lounger too!  I guess if I wanted Tshirt and shorts, I have to drive further down the Interstate to Las Vegas - some nice camping spots down there, too.

And I see I might some snow again tomorrow...

Wore the Dry on the Fly pants today with the boots on my trek in Moab.  Loved them both!  The boots seemed to repel the red rock dust- only the soles got dirty.  The pants were very light, comfy and flexible.  

Oh- the Duluth Trading store opened today in Salt Lake.  Might stop by on the way home next week and pick up another pair!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Alaska in May of 17 and are headed back May 2020.  We packed a bit much for our first cruise but I think for our next one I'll be packing my hiking boots, a pair of fold-able flats for going around the ship, a pair of slides or flip flops, and will wear my tennis shoes on the flight.  My husband took his hiking shoes, tennis shoes, and flip flops.  I assume he'll pack the same.

Sorry for the OT (again), but I had to reply to Ann_on_the_Road about restaurants in Southern Utah.

In Moab, I did coffee and muesli (one of my fave breakfasts and nod to the German tourists) at the Moab Garage.  Loved the muesli!

In Kanab, I stopped for lunch (I had driven from Lake Powell on the way to Zion) at the Rocking V.  I had the Magic Mushroom Madness done as a wrap - it was soooo good!!!  The potato salad that came with it was so nice and creamy.  Definitely a good place.   I went another block or two to the Kanab Bakery - very cute place with an interesting selection of pastries, breads, and food.  I got an epi for the road for dinner bread - very crunchy outside with airiness inside.  

In Bluff, it looked like the town was shut down for the season, not much open.  I didn't stop.  

In Springdale, I went to Oscar's Cafe for a late breakfast before starting the drive back up to Salt Lake City.  Oh my.  I had the Green Chili Horseshoe - base of potatoes and cheese, a major helping of their shredded pork, eggs (over easy), green chili sauce, some sour cream and guac.  Wow.  I don't know if it had to do with the fact that I'd been living on yogurt for days, but that tasted to freakin' good!  It was so huge of a plate that I ate maybe half of it, boxed the rest, put in my ice chest and took home for breakfast the next day. 

Thanks for the indulgence ladies.  Back to regular programming... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Sorry for the OT (again), but I had to reply to Ann_on_the_Road about restaurants in Southern Utah.

In Moab, I did coffee and muesli (one of my fave breakfasts and nod to the German tourists) at the Moab Garage.  Loved the muesli!

In Kanab, I stopped for lunch (I had driven from Lake Powell on the way to Zion) at the Rocking V.  I had the Magic Mushroom Madness done as a wrap - it was soooo good!!!  The potato salad that came with it was so nice and creamy.  Definitely a good place.   I went another block or two to the Kanab Bakery - very cute place with an interesting selection of pastries, breads, and food.  I got an epi for the road for dinner bread - very crunchy outside with airiness inside.  

In Bluff, it looked like the town was shut down for the season, not much open.  I didn't stop.  

In Springdale, I went to Oscar's Cafe for a late breakfast before starting the drive back up to Salt Lake City.  Oh my.  I had the Green Chili Horseshoe - base of potatoes and cheese, a major helping of their shredded pork, eggs (over easy), green chili sauce, some sour cream and guac.  Wow.  I don't know if it had to do with the fact that I'd been living on yogurt for days, but that tasted to freakin' good!  It was so huge of a plate that I ate maybe half of it, boxed the rest, put in my ice chest and took home for breakfast the next day. 

Thanks for the indulgence ladies.  Back to regular programming... 

so happy to see there are fun places to eat these days in southern Utah. We missed Rockiing V on our last trip through Kanab but cannot exclaim enough about Sego just around the corner. For you folks in civilization, running a top notch restaurant hundreds of miles from major cities (Las Vegas or SLC in this case) is a heroic effort.. We visited the bakery on our last trip too, delish. The “Grand Circle” of AZ/UT national parks is sublime, even better with great local food options cropping up in tiny little towns like Kanab and Springdale. It’s not a cruise, but definitely should be a  bucket list item.  Google “Mighty Five” to see what is waiting for you. Call it a land cruise and come see us!

• Like 2

Since this thread is totally hijacked on Utah  foodie stuff, I would be most remiss if  I did not give a shout out to Hell’s Backbone Grill in Boulder, UT. True farm-to-table in the last US community to get mail by mule.  Amazing food, multiple nominee for James Beard awards. Well worth the drive from Bryce Canyon or Capitol Reef NPs or if you are in within a day’s drive. There’s a major NY pub review to be found if one consults the Google machine. 

Edited by Ann_on_the_road
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, clo said:

Can anyone message anyone? Ever?

No. This forum doesn’t allow private messaging.

Enjoying the current West talk. The majority of my life was spent living in the West...it was necessary to move East but DH and I talk regularly about moving back West now that DS if off to college. One thing people in GA especially don’t understand is how big the sky is in the West. I was so claustrophobic in GA with all the trees and hills. It’s hard to imagine if you aren’t there, but where we were, the streets are like tree tunnels with no roof but towering trees blocking out your vision so that you get little strips of sky. Really awful.

I loved Arches when we went to Moab. We went camping somewhere nearby and visited Arches. Spectacular. I miss being in that area. At least Orlando area has big skies and in the outer areas, expansive landscapes.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ann_on_the_road said:

Since this thread is totally hijacked on Utah  foodie stuff, I would be most remiss if  I did not give a shout out to Hell’s Backbone Grill in Boulder, UT. True farm-to-table in the last US community to get mail by mule.  Amazing food, multiple nominee for James Beard awards. Well worth the drive from Bryce Canyon or Capitol Reef NPs or if you are in within a day’s drive. There’s a major NY pub review to be found if one consults the Google machine. 

Yep, that is on my list fo my road trip next year.  I've wanted to go to Hell's Backbone Grill for years, but could never get there.  Besides great food, they are great stewards of the land and the area.  They have been subjected to major harassment by some of the county's Tea Party folks, but have stayed them off.  

I want to do the Route 12 trip - It's a Scenic Byway.  And, maybe add in Goblin Valley State Park and Calf Creek Falls.  There's so much to do in Southern Utah!!!  

And, to bring it back to shoes for Alaska - you can use those hiking shoes/boots you bought for Alaska on the Southern Utah "cruise".  And you can cruise on Lake Powell to Rainbow Bridge National Monument!  

the photo below is a little fuzzy.  Sorry.  From down in Monument Valley.  

DSC_0116.JPG

Edited by slidergirl

14 hours ago, clo said:

Yosemite.

I was born and raised in the Bay Area but I never made it to Yosemite. I had strict rules as a teen age driver and who I could ride with and how far...and it wasn’t something my parents had on the radar to do. And who knew that I would go out of state for college and never move back to CA? And while in college my parents would also move out of state?

Kind of sad the things we don’t do because we think there’s time. It seems like when you can do something at anytime, you never do it, but when you have a “do by” date...then you can get it done. Now I’m clear across the country...

slightly back on topic...I ordered and got these in the mail yesterday:

https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/womens-shoes-outdoor-adventure/lone-peak-4-mid-mesh-alw1855h?variationId=313

I did a ruck sack 5k last weekend where you were challenged to “Walk, run or ruck a mile in their boots.” Benefiting the Camaraderie Foundation which provides all sorts of counseling services and programs for veterans. If you ruck, you carried a minimum 35 lb backpack for the 5k. DH and I packed up our backpacks with 35 lbs of gear and walked the 5k...some people actually RAN but they were using bag weights in small packs. Anyway, I wore my trusty boots I’ve had forever and idk if my feet have gone soft over the summer with wearing sandals only or if my feet have changed or if the added weight distorted my foot shape but I got horrible blisters. Also...been wearing zero drop shoes for so long now...I had issues related to that too. Really hoping these new boots work out!

The boots aren’t as fun as the tyedyed ones in appearance, but I like the gray green with the plum accents. I purposefully didn’t purchase the water proof ones...I have Altra trail shoes too and they aren’t waterproof but they dry amazingly fast...also there are integrated gaiter straps so if is really wanted to add more protection I could. I’ll report on how these boots are after my blisters heal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clo said:

I moved to SF from ATL in '76 and had never been there.  Shocking,  I know. 

Doesn’t shock me a bit. I think many did in those times. I’ve moved to several places that I’ve never been before...funny enough, that list includes ATL!

• Haha 1