Three pair of shoes for Alaska

We just finished a week long Alaska cruise with 3 days self-organized travel prior. I managed with three pair of shoes and was quite happy: well broken in hiking boots (I wear these most days in my regular life) needed for active excursions and suitable on deck if it rained, pewter dress flats that went with every dinner outfit, and a pair of slip on sneakers for hanging out on the ship. If I had taken one more pair, the ones thing I had wished for were my slides for wearing to/from/in the spa. We had a pass to use the thermal pools, went there almost everyday and I didn’t care for the slippers they provided or putting on my sneakers right after a shower. I wore boots on the plane up for fear of lost luggage getting in the way of excursions, the slip-on sneakers home. 

I realize i am I am an outlier as far as shoe volume, but maybe someone else can take heart that it is possible to go light if desired. What’s the fewest shoes you’ve gotten by with?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ann_on_the_road said:

someone else can take heart that it is possible to go light if desired. What’s the fewest shoes you’ve gotten by with?

Not for Alaska but for South America, I'll wear a pair of Rothys and pack a pair.

20190912_110621 - Edited (1).jpg

It's much easier for me to pack fewer shoes on cold weather trips. Not sure why. In Alaska last year, one pair goretex hiking shoes (black), one pair birkenstock gizeh sandals (silver), one pair laceup privos (black), one pair privos mary janes (Black). On my AK cruise before that, I only had 3 prs! Goretex hiker (we actually hike, and that trip, we were visiting family outside Fairbanks and hiking with them), black mary jane, and I think a black sandal for on the ship/dinners. 

OP, you mentioned slides - or for me, flip flops, which I take on every cruise. I wear them in the cabin and on the balcony - my bare foot has not touched a cabin or hotel room floor in 30 years! LOL. Good for a hospital stay, too.I have several pairs from Old Navy in various colors; they are cheap and cheerful and do the trick. 😊

• Like 1

I will always take at least two pairs. I always want to have a back up pair with me and usually my feet appreciate having a change. I spent a week in London at the beginning of September with two pairs. I didn't need anything fancy so both pairs were sneaker type shoes from Altra...both "lifestyle" shoes.

When we went to Alaska last summer...I had my hiking boots, trail runners, my Birks and a pair of flip flops, I knew we would use the pool and hot tubs...and also we were going camping after the cruise and I needed a pair of easy to put on shoes for hitting the outhouse.

Edited by Anita Latte
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

It's much easier for me to pack fewer shoes on cold weather trips. Not sure why. In Alaska last year, one pair goretex hiking shoes (black), one pair birkenstock gizeh sandals (silver), one pair laceup privos (black), one pair privos mary janes (Black). On my AK cruise before that, I only had 3 prs! Goretex hiker (we actually hike, and that trip, we were visiting family outside Fairbanks and hiking with them), black mary jane, and I think a black sandal for on the ship/dinners. 

I was thinking I could do the Caribbean in a pair of Keen sandals and dinner sandals, but I hate flying with open toed shoes, so three is probably my minimum if we have any activities planned on shore. Spend less on shoes, vacation more - that’s my plan.

2 hours ago, Ann_on_the_road said:

I hate flying with open toed shoes

I do too. I don't recall how I came across the information...but somehow I have in memory information about what you should and shouldn't wear on a plane. A kind of preparation for the unlikely event of an emergency situation. Wearing closed toes shoes was important. The other thing I remember...don't wear nylons as that is the worst thing to have on your legs in the event of a high heat situation. 

I'm taking a fast 2-night trip to a beach hotel next week. DH has a business trip and I get to tag along. I'm wanting to travel extremely light...not sure if I'll end up wearing open toes on the flight. It's a really short flight and I want to travel super light.

10 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

I feel the same way about cold weather, some how it's easier for me to pack lighter.

We're going in May & right now my list includes 1 pair goretex hiking boots, my gizeh birks (for evenings) my old tall brown boots & a pair of cheap flip flops for the pool & spa.   Trying to decide if I need to bring my running shoes or not....  I'm thinking I just might need those for some lighter hiking. :)

4 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I will always take at least two pairs. I always want to have a back up pair with me and usually my feet appreciate having a change. I spent a week in London at the beginning of September with two pairs. I didn't need anything fancy so both pairs were sneaker type shoes from Altra...both "lifestyle" shoes.

When we went to Alaska last summer...I had my hiking boots, trail runners, my Birks and a pair of flip flops, I knew we would use the pool and hot tubs...and also we were going camping after the cruise and I needed a pair of easy to put on shoes for hitting the outhouse.

I totally agree about having a back up pair of shoes, somehow, I feel like my feet need a little change up every few days, even with the most comfy of shoes.   BTW, your review of your Alaska trip has been invaluable to me :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I do too. I don't recall how I came across the information...but somehow I have in memory information about what you should and shouldn't wear on a plane. A kind of preparation for the unlikely event of an emergency situation. Wearing closed toes shoes was important. The other thing I remember...don't wear nylons as that is the worst thing to have on your legs in the event of a high heat situation. 

I'm taking a fast 2-night trip to a beach hotel next week. DH has a business trip and I get to tag along. I'm wanting to travel extremely light...not sure if I'll end up wearing open toes on the flight. It's a really short flight and I want to travel super light.

Fun when someone else is paying part of the trip!

Edited by Ann_on_the_road
Double oost

13 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

Holey moley! Four pair of shoes?   When we went to Antarctica I had two pair - one for going ashore and the other for onboard.  Whew.

Emergency evacuation is not a joke. I admit to wearing the keens on short trips to Phoenix, where they open the plane to 110 degrees, but generally I get too cold on planes to go without socks. And I try to wear natural fibers on a plane, but it’s probably just the luck of the draw in the end. And I keep flying and having a good time when I get there.

On 10/2/2019 at 11:20 PM, Ann_on_the_road said:

What’s the fewest shoes you’ve gotten by with?

Two.  It was a Caribbean cruise and I took a pair of navy "dressy" platform flip flops and a pair of white wedge sandals.  Wore the flip flops every day for pool, going ashore, whatever, and packed so that the white wedges worked for every dinner outfit.

Leaving on a 12 day trip to Italy next week. We've done the trip before and usually I just take two pair, either sandals and sneakers or two pair of sandals.  Next week I'm packing three....a pair of sandals, a pair of sneakers and a pair low heeled booties.  Might get really crazy and add a pair of Olukai flip flops for the transatlantic travel days, although if I can't fit all three of the other shoes, I'll just wear the other sandals instead so that I'm only packing two additional pair.

11 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

I feel the same way about cold weather, some how it's easier for me to pack lighter.

For me, I think it's because when it's cold, I'm wearing a coat (because when we travel, we're out walking/wandering about outside ALL the time, no matter what type of trip we're taking) so my wardrobe is instantly limited. Who cares how many different outfits I bring if all anyone else sees is my coat, hat & scarves? ;-)

I'll never have fewer than 2 pairs - to change up for my feet when needed, so a pair can air out or dry off if needed (though I try to bring goretex if I'm aware it could be wet) and in case a pair breaks/falls apart etc. Yes, that has happened to me! I don't need to bring 10 prs "just in case", but a back up pair? Yep! But otherwise, I just bring what I feel I'll need for a trip. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ann_on_the_road said:

Fun when someone else is paying part of the trip!

It is definitely. We're paying for my airfare...but DH's work is paying for the hotel. The town is small and the hotel has direct beach access. This is something DH and I have been looking forward to with DS going off to college this year. First time that I am getting to go along on a business trip!

• Like 2

I am getting ready to sail on a River Cruise and have not packed anything yet. I fly to Venice a week from TODAY:classic_biggrin:

I see nothing wrong with 4 pair of shoes. I will probably bring that many with me. I know I am flying in a pair of mules/

clogs. I will have a pair of  walking shoes for daytime tours. A pair of sandals for evenings (with possibly a

pair of flats) and possibly those flip flops mentioned earlier. 

The fewest pairs? Maybe 3 on a Caribbean cruise...….sandals...sandals...and oh, maybe sandals:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I am getting ready to sail on a River Cruise and have not packed anything yet. I fly to Venice a week from TODAY:classic_biggrin:

I love cooler weather but do you?  Average temp in Venice n Oct. is high 65 and low 50.  Will you be wearing sandals (plural)?  And what's with the clogs for traveling?  Will you wear them at other times?

Edited by clo

6 minutes ago, clo said:

I love cooler weather but do you?  Average temp in Venice n Oct. is high 65 and low 50.  Will you be wearing sandals (plural)?  And what's with the clogs for traveling?  Will you wear them at other times?

Hi, what's with the clogs? They are lightweight and I like traveling with them. As for sandals, they go with my evening outfits.

I know what the temps are in October.  And when you ask me do I like cooler weather? Yes, so? And will I wear my mules at other times? I don't know but I like them for flying.  I am happy with my choices.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I see nothing wrong with 4 pair of shoes. I will probably bring that many with me. I know I am flying in a pair of mules/

clogs. I will have a pair of  walking shoes for daytime tours. A pair of sandals for evenings (with possibly a

Nothing wrong at all with 4 pair if that suits your style preferences and needs. Clogs are brilliant for TSA and long haul flights.  Nice sounds lovely this time of year, enjoy!

4 minutes ago, Ann_on_the_road said:

Clogs are brilliant for TSA and long haul flights.

That just seems a little off/odd.  My only clogs are open-heel Danskos that I wear in the kitchen and also through small amounts of snow (didn't have to put on boots).  I wear flats almost all the time, TSA, airplane, dinner, etc.  Getting ready to buy my fifth pair of Rothy's )

14 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

For me, I think it's because when it's cold, I'm wearing a coat (because when we travel, we're out walking/wandering about outside ALL the time, no matter what type of trip we're taking) so my wardrobe is instantly limited. Who cares how many different outfits I bring if all anyone else sees is my coat, hat & scarves? ;-)

I'll never have fewer than 2 pairs - to change up for my feet when needed, so a pair can air out or dry off if needed (though I try to bring goretex if I'm aware it could be wet) and in case a pair breaks/falls apart etc. Yes, that has happened to me! I don't need to bring 10 prs "just in case", but a back up pair? Yep! But otherwise, I just bring what I feel I'll need for a trip. 

Last cold weather trip I honestly packed too much outerwear....brought a wool peacoat, a trench rain jacket, a puffy vest, & a practical, stretchy breathable hooded rainjacket,  & a long sweater coat I  would have been fine with just the vest, practical rain jacket & sweater coat, but vanity got the best of me ;)  I'm gong to try to be more practical next May in Alaska...  shoe wise, I usually do pretty good, it's not as much of a temptation for me :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Lois R said:

The fewest pairs? Maybe 3 on a Caribbean cruise...….sandals...sandals...and oh, maybe sandals:classic_biggrin:

Sounds good to me,  4 pairs seems to be my happy medium.  Last time I flew with socks with birks...  even though I have TSA pre/global entry, none of my  flights were compatible,  & we took 6 flights in all.... so lots of taking on & off shoes in airports, the birks worked, were comfy, & the socks kept me semi sanitary :)

Have a wonderful trip, I love those couple of weeks ahead of time & the anticipation !

9 hours ago, clo said:

I've traveled in Europe plenty of times when it was in the 60's and was perfectly happy in sandals during the day, and evening plenty of evenings.  A few years ago we were in Tuscany and Venice for 10 days in October and all I packed was 2 pair of sandals and was perfectly fine.  The clogs for traveling must be because she likes them and finds them comfortable.  They are probably also easy on/off for security etc.  And I'd be willing to bet they go with other things and can be worn throughout the trip. 

8 hours ago, clo said:

That just seems a little off/odd.  My only clogs are open-heel Danskos that I wear in the kitchen and also through small amounts of snow (didn't have to put on boots).  I wear flats almost all the time, TSA, airplane, dinner, etc.  Getting ready to buy my fifth pair of Rothy's )

There a many, many different styles of clogs.  Dankso is not something I wear as in my opinion, they are too bulky. 

There are much more lightweight ones......if you want to call them a mule, they are closed toe, open back, slide in and out.

That is what works for me. Glad your Rothy's work for you. We all have different likes and dislikes.

So what you think is off and odd, others like. 

Different strokes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1