Actually Got An Upsell Offer Worth Taking

JimmyVWine

Received an email last night offering an upsell from an "MB" level Mini-Site to a Club Class Mini-Suite for $79 per person on Regal, 7 day Caribbean.  Since this upsell actually entails tangible benefits beyond cabin location or size, I think that the price was fair. No waiting in the MDR. An additional menu selection each night. Upgraded robes. Canapes and wine.  Taken together, none of these motivated me in the least when I compared the cost of our typical booking (MB)  to a CC-M1.  For example, to get the CC at the time we originally booked, it would have cost us around $900 more.  Didn't consider it for a nanosecond.  But for $158 I figured what the heck.  Got a very nice mid-ship extended balcony cabin.  So now, when I cost-compare in order to make myself feel good about it, here is what I come up with.  My current, "all in" price including the upsell is: 

• $742 less than what others paid for a CC MS on the day I booked.
  • $316 less than what the person who books the cabin I just vacated will pay if they book today. 
  • $702 less than what a person would pay to book the last remaining CC MS if they book today.

Interestingly, the email said that the offer could only be accepted by replying to that email. And then right beneath it, it said that calls and voicemail messages will be reviewed in the order they are received.  😵  I emailed back within 5 minutes and got a confirming email about 10 minutes after that.  Will be our first time in CC.  We'll see how it goes.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 15

I've had CC dining twice.  Both times were because I booked a suite.  I booked WS, so both times it was the same price as a CC mini so I got suite perks added.

I've enjoyed the special dishes and the service seems to be a step above the norm for Princess.  Still, I'm not sure what price I would put on it if I were deciding between CC or non CC option.

13 minutes ago, voljeep said:

how long until your cruise ? ( trying to see approx. when upgrades/upsells might start for our 12/4 sail date )

did you get to pick your cabin ?

7 Day Caribbean.

No, I did not get to pick.  I was a bit nervous about that, but as soon as I got the confirmation I went on line (I was on my phone, so not the best), to do a mock booking to see what other CC cabins might be available in case I wanted to switch and the only option at that time was to allow them to assign a cabin before departure, so I don't think there was much inventory.  The only downside to the cabin we were put into was that the head of the bed faces the bow which means that when you sit on the sofa, you are traveling backwards.  My wife much prefers the reverse. Plus it connects to the next door cabin.  But we will make do.

Edit to add...I did another mock booking this morning to see if anything had changed and there was one on CC that could be selected.  Mid ship with no extended balcony and a backwards facing sofa.  Not interested.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Thanks 1

I think we would have actually accepted that upsell as well. Like you, I think the difference in pricing is crazy but, for the amount offered, I think it's a good deal. Congratulations! Enjoy your Club Class dining.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

All of the CC minis are mid-ship, are they not, so I'm not sure if it matters that much if you get to choose which one you're in.

I think they classified some of the forward corner Minis as Club Class.  They show up as "M6" and are listed as Premium Mini Suites, but when you click on the cabin,  it pops up as a CC.  But 95% of them are mid-ship, so yes, it largely does not matter which one you get.  There will be preferences, however, for deck. side of the ship and/or direction of the layout.

• Like 1

Congrats on a good deal. The thing that's hard to place a value on is that CC dining gives you the ability to plan each night based on what you want to do without fear of dinner taking forever.

Not only do you save the pre dinner wait, you also know that things will move more smoothly with little waiting between courses.

And you can actually plan dinner for 6 or 6:30, which is almost a joke with Anytime Dining. 

Jim

We got an upsell offer forwarded by our TA for our January 5th sailing on the Coral Princess last week.  It was for an upgrade from our club class mini suite to a full suite for $1299 (16 day cruise).  I didn't check email until a few hours after it was sent but left a message and by the time I heard back all of the full suites had been sold.  I did mention that it was unusual to get an upsell offer before final payment date and was told that they were trying something new.  The agent did put us on a waitlist in case one opens up but we will be happy to be in our club class mini (which we got for a great price) for this cruise.

8 minutes ago, sexyaznboy said:

congrats your upsell sounds way better than mine!

maybe .. OP went from a mini to a CC mini - basically a better location, maybe, and CC dining

your offer, as posted is from an Obstructed Balcony to a Mini .. quite a bigger jump

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Jimmy, some of us could not care less what cabin you're in.  Let's get to the important stuff.  What wines are you taking on board?

Still struggling with that. Thinking Insignia, Maybach, Ornellaia, Kosta Browne, Rochioli, Aubert and Scarecrow. Have to figure out if I have time for a Total run to pick up some Rose and Champagne before departure. 

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Still struggling with that. Thinking Insignia, Maybach, Ornellaia, Kosta Browne, Rochioli, Aubert and Scarecrow. Have to figure out if I have time for a Total run to pick up some Rose and Champagne before departure. 

Congrats and the wine will taste that much better on this voyage!!!  I stopped spending a lot on wines I take on a cruise and look for good quality at value since not eating that much top level food (no complaints, just not so interested in taking on a lot of expensive wine - but I do like to have a nice red for the CG).

Edited by steelers36

19 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Wow, I am definitely not in your league.

On Sunday we completed a cruise on the Royal Princess, and we had a great visit to Sabatini's on Day 2.  I usually bring some of my own wine on board, but I also like to order off of their wine lists.  This particular evening I was looking at the list and ordered Tignanello.  Unfortunately, that was unavailable--a, somewhat humorous story that I won't detail, here.  I asked the headwaiter, an very gregarious and animated Sardinian by the name of Franco, if he would recommend a similar wine.  He suggested Le Serre Nuove dell’Ornellaia.  This wine turned out to be excellent--full-bodied, not overly fruited, well-structured.  It went well with the steak (how pedestrian) that I ordered.  The best part (for me) was that it was about half the price of the Ornellaia.  Franco invited us to their Super Tuscan dinner towards the end of the cruise, and that was excellent.

I hope you have a great cruise, Jimmy.

• Like 2

I’m impressed that he recommended that as a substitute for the Tig. Less than half the price. Very reliable.

I see that we can pre- order Whispering Angel from their list. Price is high but only about $10-$15 more per bottle than retail plus corkage. Still, I hate paying $50 for a $19 wine. My wife will want an I.V. drip of Rose on this “sea day intensive” cruise. (3 sea days and a Princess Cays day). We chose this SPECIFICALLY to unwind so our usual one-bottle-per-day won’t do. It’s silly how much planning I put in to our wine consumption but one has to obsess about something!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 1:24 PM, JimmyVWine said:

Received an email last night offering an upsell from an "MB" level Mini-Site to a Club Class Mini-Suite for $79 per person on Regal, 7 day Caribbean.  Since this upsell actually entails tangible benefits beyond cabin location or size, I think that the price was fair. No waiting in the MDR. An additional menu selection each night. Upgraded robes. Canapes and wine.  Taken together, none of these motivated me in the least when I compared the cost of our typical booking (MB)  to a CC-M1.  For example, to get the CC at the time we originally booked, it would have cost us around $900 more.  Didn't consider it for a nanosecond.  But for $158 I figured what the heck.  Got a very nice mid-ship extended balcony cabin.  So now, when I cost-compare in order to make myself feel good about it, here is what I come up with.  My current, "all in" price including the upsell is: 

• $742 less than what others paid for a CC MS on the day I booked.
  • $316 less than what the person who books the cabin I just vacated will pay if they book today. 
  • $702 less than what a person would pay to book the last remaining CC MS if they book today.

Interestingly, the email said that the offer could only be accepted by replying to that email. And then right beneath it, it said that calls and voicemail messages will be reviewed in the order they are received.  😵  I emailed back within 5 minutes and got a confirming email about 10 minutes after that.  Will be our first time in CC.  We'll see how it goes.

You will never go back