What would you do with 36-hours in London?

BBMacLaird

Our latest blog is How to Spend 36 Hours in London. 

It is divided into two suggested itineraries...one for first-time visitors and another for returnees. Both itineraries include walking maps.

What would YOU recommend doing with only 36-hours, pre- or post- an Azamara cruise?

https://www.azamara.com/blog/how-spend-36-hours-london

gettyimages-578816532-Regents Canal.jpg

gettyimages-Westminster Abbey.jpg

gettyimages-Londo.jpg

london_eye_-_istock_000035042928_large_0.jpg

Well if it was the first time, if you're a museum person, do the Victoria and Albert museum.  Or do the shops in Kensington area.  A night at the theatre on the West End could conclude your day.   Have high tea somewhere.  You could take the Hop on Hop off bus around the city and stop off as you please.   It's impossible to see everything in that time frame.  It might help to look at the top things in London and choose a couple.  St. Paul's Cathedral is absolutely stunning.  Climb to the very top after a self-guided headphone tour.  

Good blog, covers a lot in London! 
My favourite thing in London is to go to Borough Market and get a wonderful sandwich, then walk as close to the Thames as possible to Blackfriars Bridge or on to Waterloo Bridge. You go past the Golden Hinde and the Globe theatre and you can call in at the Tate Modern. It’s a fascinating walk.

• Like 2

Borough Market for lunch and food shopping.  Wallace Collection fo see some extraordinary objects set in a beautiful mansion, and have a glass of bubbly in the garden cafe while you are there.

• Like 2

Agree

The blog did not highlight (but should) that visits to Buckingham Palace (a good thing to see) have to be booked in advance you will not get walk up tickets.

Covent Garden, although rather commercial is good fun

The other thing is master the underground - buses are so slow and taxis will cost a fortune due to all the traffic jams

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uktog said:

The other thing is master the underground - buses are so slow and taxis will cost a fortune due to all the traffic jams

Yes, the tube is a wonder, a must learn. Have to say, though, that one of the highlights of our June stay in London was discovering the 188 bus that stopped right in front of the maritime museum in Greenwich would take us right to our hotel off Russell Square.  Yes, it took an hour or more, but sitting front row, upper deck, we did see a lot of London.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Yes, the tube is a wonder, a must learn. Have to say, though, that one of the highlights of our June stay in London was discovering the 188 bus that stopped right in front of the maritime museum in Greenwich would take us right to our hotel off Russell Square.  Yes, it took an hour or more, but sitting front row, upper deck, we did see a lot of London.

Top front would indeed be a treat. 

All around Greenwich is another gem if you have time as now is Camden Lock (very bohemian)

An area that really surprised me was the back of Kings Cross Station. My son asked to meet me there for dinner a couple of years ago and my first reaction was excuse me I am not that sort of lady.  He laughed and said wait and see mum.   Wow what a difference the area is now open with canal running through it and lots of lovely restaurants.  So if you are staying in a hotel in that area it is certainly worth exploring for somewhere to eat

If you’re into quirky museums and you’re a returning visitor, I can highly recommend these four - the later two can be combined in one visit: 

The Museum of London (near the Barbican) can be worth visiting on a first trip, if you have more than 36 hours and you combine it with St Paul’s.

The eclectic Sir John Soane Museum offers a great glimpse into what a private collector in the early 18th century was up to; as an architect who knew what he was picking up, and how to display his collections.

The small Grant Museum of Zoology inside the University grounds is a total wonder! You can get very close to a dodo bird squeleton, and the Blaschka glass models of marine critters are stunningly beautiful. It’s no more than a 5 min. walk from Russell Sq., and you get to see some of UCL on the way (including Jeremy Bentham, sitting ‘stuffed’ in his glass case.)

If you really liked the Ancient Egyptian section of the British Museum: 

The small Petrie Museum is also located nearby within the University. I spent a happy couple of hours visiting it, including opening & closing drawer upon drawer of ancient Egyptian pieces organized by dig site, rather than by dynasty. Tip: best done as a solo visit, or only if a keen interest is shared with your companion(s).

We love London and we go back every chance that we get. It’s where I saw my first Bolshoi ballet production years ago and where I first discovered kaiten sushi (now that would be a fun Azamara dining experience!). I am so glad that I specifically devoted one trip just for the Chelsea Flower Show one year... it was stunning!

Three things that we try to fit in return visits if we can: a concert at St Martin’s in the Fields, dinner at a Persian restaurant, and a stop at Fortnum & Mason.

• Like 3

On 10/5/2019 at 2:45 PM, uktog said:

Agree

It is extremely simple for those who can read it.😂

Our youngest daughter corrected me as I was heading for the wrong platform when she was 12 and it was her second trip in to Picadilly from Islington. She got it right imediately.😁

Edited by oddjob16
  • Haha 1

My first visit to a London was on the Journey in 2009.  Cruising up the Thames through the barrier was fascinating. We took an Azamara excursion that took us to many of the interesting venues plus a great lunch in a nice pub.....Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, and many monuments. We also did a boat ride on the Thames. Ship was docked in a Greenwich. Great neighborhood with interesting shops and pubs.  The guide was excellent.  It was a great intro to a really big city. We loved it so much that we have returned 3 times since that cruise.  Each time we stayed in a different part of the city. Favorite is Mayfair. Getting around is easy if you ride the tube.  London has something that will interest everyone. If you love museums, visit the Victoria & Albert, Tate Modern, Tate Britain, British Museum, portrait Gallery, and the Wallace Collection.  For history buffs,  the Churchill War rooms are a must. Loved the Duke of Wellington house. There are many famous churches, gardens, and markets. My favorite London experience was visiting Buckingham a Palace. It is open during the summer for tours. Just thinking about a London makes me want to go back. 

• Like 1

I have just spent two nights in London between arrival from Australia and a flight to a cruise.  I stayed two nights at Ibis Styles Heathrow and took a local bus to Windsor for the day.  Arrived in time for the changing of the guard at Windsor Castle.  It was the perfect relaxing day after a long haul flight, between starting my overseas travels.  

However, I spent a fortnight in London at the end of my travels.  There is so much to see and do in London, it is never enough time, so I have to go back!

Edited by MMDown Under
  • Like 1

I agree about the Tube. Forget Uber. It's quicker on the Underground and more fun.

Stick to the underground at the moment, climate change protestors have 2 weeks of protests planned at the moment, so there will be plenty of disruption above ground.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 1:19 AM, upwarduk said:

Thank you Bonnie, good to have Southampton Arrivals/ Departures in one place.

You’re welcome upwarduk. Ha, by typing it I’ve just realized your handle is not what I’ve thought all these years! I’ve occasionally wondered what “upward ‘duk’” would refer to!  Now I realize my error. 🇬🇧 😳