Weekend cruise....do it or not

MermaidMommy03

Happy Sunday! Long please bare with me..
       I am hoping to get some opinions on weekend cruises. My husband and I haven’t been on a vacation alone in 12 years. We have 3 kiddos (12, 10, 6) and in the past we haven’t had family close by to babysit, plus my son has multiple medical conditions and we use to be in and out of the hospital. Well my son is doing 💯 better. No hospital stays in 3 years!!!! 
A friend and my dad have offered to babysit the kids so we can get a weekend getaway for my birthday. Up in
Now we could just fly somewhere but I would love to take a solo cruise but I hear horrible things about weekend cruises. 
Here are my options. 
A. 3 day cruise on the Liberty (Friday-Monday) 

Port Canaveral and overnight in Nassau. We have been to Nassau and didn’t really enjoy it But hey kid free we can go back to the ship.. enjoy the pool. Maybe walk to the beach in Nassau. 
This option we have me only miss one day of work and I would only have to worry about school pick up for my youngest for one day as well. We have never been on the Liberty so that would be new. 
B. 4 day on the Elation (Thursday-Monday)

Port Carnaveral, Nassau, Freeport. We have never been to Freeport. We have been on the elation and even though it’s a smaller ship and older it does hold a dear place in our heart. This one I would have to worry about 2 pickup days for my youngest and one drop off day. 
C.Just take a flight somewhere or stay local in Fl? 

thanks 😊 

It's true that shorter cruises will have a "fair share" of partiers....true of any line.  But, you don't have to participate in that, if you don't choose to...and without kids, it's really not an issue!

Since you don't have to fly to port with that added expense, it will probably be a good time!  I'd go with the 4 day, over the 3 day...just because!

• Like 1

It’s a cruise...do it. I’ve done a couple 4 day cruises and they were definitely not “party cruises.”  Actually, they were more what I would consider “family cruises.”  Lots of parents with kids. One was in the summer (over 4th of July) and one was in September (Labor Day weekend). Honestly, a cruise is what you make of it, so if you go to relax and have fun, it will be relaxing and fun. 

I’d say do it and go for the 4 night. It takes about a day to decompress so that gives three nights of relaxation and it’s great to reconnect as a couple and not parents! Don’t worry about drop offs for kids. Just set it up. People love helping and your kids will enjoy the short change too.

Edited by Jerseygirl1416

I also vote for the 4 day (although Liberty is one of the few CCL ships I haven't been on and would like to).  I've taken many 4 day cruises on the Paradise out of Tampa from Thursday through Monday - matter of fact I will be on one next month with a large group of family and in January I'm doing a solo. 

I have never felt it was a party cruise.  I don't go to the club because I'm just a little too old for that scene, so I can't say whether that is more of a "party" on 4 day cruise.

I still love the 7 day cruises, but I'd take a 4 day without a second thought.

• Like 1

I've done a couple of the short cruises out of Florida to the Bahamas and they have been fine -- definitely no problem with party-ers. 

If the logistics (e.g. school drop offs and pick-ups for kids) are a problem, then just take the 3-day cruise.  Freeport is not a great port stop (we stay on board when we are there), so it's hardly worth the extra day and hassles. 

I would choose a 4 day over 3 day because it's an extra day on a cruise!  I have done 3 day weekend and 4 day weekday cruises and they are fun.  Yes, there may be more of a party vibe and I am a go-to-bed-early and wake-up-early kind of gal but that is the nice thing about a cruise is that you do not have to party with the party people and the ship is very quiet in the morning.  I would say go for it!  You haven't had a vacation in a long time and it will be fun.  

57 minutes ago, GradUT said:

I've done a couple of the short cruises out of Florida to the Bahamas and they have been fine -- definitely no problem with party-ers. 

If the logistics (e.g. school drop offs and pick-ups for kids) are a problem, then just take the 3-day cruise.  Freeport is not a great port stop (we stay on board when we are there), so it's hardly worth the extra day and hassles. 

I say go for the 4 days. The believe the extra day IS definitely worth it - unless it's way more expensive (but likely is not). Arranging 2 days of school pickup is  not much more hassle than arranging 1 day. 

47 minutes ago, cdm289 said:

I would choose a 4 day over 3 day because it's an extra day on a cruise!  I have done 3 day weekend and 4 day weekday cruises and they are fun.  Yes, there may be more of a party vibe and I am a go-to-bed-early and wake-up-early kind of gal but that is the nice thing about a cruise is that you do not have to party with the party people and the ship is very quiet in the morning.  I would say go for it!  You haven't had a vacation in a long time and it will be fun.  

I to would go with the 4 day. Yes, there will be a younger crowd on board, but there are so many places to relax. The partiers don’t bother me, I enjoy watching people with a cold drink in hand. Skip Nassau and enjoy a quiet day on board while everyone else is in town. 

• Like 1

We are going on a 4 day cruise for my birthday in 2 weeks! We went on the same cruise before and loved it. Personally I say go for it! We didn't think there were THAT many partiers. It was actually mostly families with teenagers on the one we went to, so the teenagers would come back with giant sombreros and stuff like that which was funny to see. 

Although I like the Liberty more, 3 night cruises are such a blur. I feel like its over before I start feeling like I’m on vacation. They are way too short. That extra night on a 4 night somehow makes it feel much more like a real vacation.

If  need to choose the 3 nighter, you can always extend your vacation by spending the night before the cruise at a hotel on the beach near the port, even if you live locally and/or need to check in late.  Then the next morning you are already on vacation mode. Take a stroll on the beach, eat breakfast overlooking the ocean, and then head to the port. That’s a little trick to make your short getaway feel less short. 

• Like 1

If you go to Nassau, may I make a suggestion?  Head over to Atlantis.  It's a great place to spend the day.  I had a friend who rarely gets to vacation just get back from a cruise and she said it was one of her most memorable days.  She tried every waterslide, swam with the dolphins, just had a wonderful time.  

Put me in the camp of a four day cruise.

Last year, we did a three day cruise for the first time.  In the past we have done mostly seven day cruises, some longer, and a some four day cruises.

As we were getting off of the three day cruise, it was too short.  I thought back, and figured out we haven't done any three day cruises.  It felt like, we had just unpacked just to pack again.

As we drove home, (we also live in Florida) but a few hours from the port that we did for the three day cruise.  I brought up to my wife that three day cruises weren't in our future.  Even before I got to that point my wife picked up on where I was going.  She actually finished my sentence before I finished it.

First of all, you have the choices of 2 really great ships IMHO.  I loved the Elation when she sailed out of Jax and cruised on her a couple of times.  I also love the Liberty and am sailing in a couple of days on a 3 day cruise and just returned from a 4 nighter this past August.  This time I am cruising with family and friends and the 3 day was the only times/days that worked for everyone in terms of obligations and work.  My husband and I haven't been able to cruise for longer than 4-5 days in the past few years because of ailing parents, special needs children and other medical issues.  For us, ANY cruise is better than no cruise.  For my upcoming 3 day cruise, I will be driving down a day early with my sister, and we will be staying at the Radisson at the Port.  We will get there early and enjoy a day of relaxation.  The others will either get to Port Canaveral the day of the cruise, or later that evening.  For me, adding the day of hotel "kind of" makes up for the fact that the cruise is 3 days, instead of 4.  

In answer to another question, I truly have never found the shorter cruises to be "party" cruises.  In fact, just the opposite. And the cruises I have been on that were basically "drunk boat" cruises, were the longer ones.  I guess everyone has different experiences.  I think you can't go wrong with either cruise.   

2 hours ago, CruizCuz said:

First of all, you have the choices of 2 really great ships IMHO....

Respectfully, the font that you use is extremely hard to read, specially in mobile devices. 

• Like 2

My favorite cruise is a 7 day. With that said, a 3/4 day beats the pants off of no cruise. My last two would have been a no cruise instead of a 4 day because the rest of my party couldn't do longer. Each time, we had a blast.

People ALWAYS find ways to turn cruises into something negative. You haven't been on a vaca in 12 years, I order you to go, and to have FUN!

I have been on the Liberty 2 times now and have a third booked on her in February.  All are the 4 days/3 nights.  Perfect for a couple getaway especially when others are watching your kids.  One less day to stress out the caregivers and one less day for you to worry about what's happening with them.  I love the 7 day cruises as well and generally take my son on those longer cruises with us.  But for a quick weekend you cannot go wrong with the Liberty.  Make sure you spend the extra $38 pp for a steakhouse experience.  Perfect for a couple

One more thing, I failed to state that the Liberty is my favorite ship.  Its the perfect size especially if you have never cruised before.  Not too small and definitely not too large.  It is also not as old as the Elation which was built in 1998.  Liberty was built in 2005.  Also the Liberty has the Outdoor Movie Screen.  I generally watch at least a couple of movies on each of my cruises.  When the weather permits, I sometimes do it from the pool or the Jacuzzi.  In slightly cooler weather, I bundle up under a blanket that they provide with the free popcorn and watch.  The dive in outdoor movie is just another activity to add to a long list of activities that you'll can engage in but probably won't be able to complete all of them.  Here are a few other features that Liberty has over the Elation (Steakhouse, Seafood Shack, Mongolian Wok, Cooking Demonstration which you will be able to sample the Steakhouse foods, Alchemy Bar, Alchemy Martini Tasting, Basketball court, Skybox Sports Bar, Cherry on Top Candy Store, Medi-Spa & Jogging Track.  Either way Carnival is known as the Fun Ship for a reason.

We actually did a 3 day in March from Miami, to Nassau and Cococay (RC trip husband won through work).  It was surprisingly tame and mostly families.  I don't know if it makes a difference that it was RC and not Carnival.  Years ago I was on a 4 day on Carnival and it was nuts.  It really just depends on the people cruising, you really never know for sure.  I say give it a shot.  We didn't have our son this last trip and I found that I didn't have the parenting stress and was able to go with the flow more easily.  

• Like 1