Specific Explanation of the Royal Yacht Club

Floridastorm

Let me see if I get this right. The cabins available for the Yacht Club experience are either if one books a Suite or a specific Inside on the Yacht Club decks. Apparently one cannot book any other Inside, Ocean View, or Balcony and receive Yacht Club privileges. Do all Suites receive Yacht Club privileges?

That is correct. Each cabin on the ship has a designated Experience (Bella, Fantastica, Aurea, Yacht Club). You can not mix-and-match cabins and Experiences. All cabins in the Yacht Club enclave come with Yacht Club Experience.

30 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

Do all Suites receive Yacht Club privileges?

Only those suites within the Yacht Club.  There are other suites throughout the ship but they are designated with other 'experiences.'   For example, look at https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Discover-MSC/Cruise-Ships/MSC-Seaside/Staterooms-And-Suites.aspx.

The Yacht Club suites are listed first and then all the other cabin types - each description is followed with the type of experience.  Some cabins are available with only a single experience while others have more than one to chose from.

You'll see the word "suite" applied to many different stateroom types. Only Yacht Club staterooms have Yacht Club privileges. 

The "Royal" part  is just a specific Yacht Club stateroom. There are also "Deluxe" suites and "Interior" suites which are also Yacht Club suites on some ships. 

Thank You. That clarifies it. I have read where there is no comparison between the regular cabins experience and the Yacht Club cabins experience. Is there that much of a difference and would you travel in regular cabins or only in Yacht Club? I'm trying to decide if the regular experience on MSC is comparable to other cruise lines or is it lacking.

25 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Some cabins are available with only a single experience while others have more than one to chose from.

That applies to cabin ‘types’ but each specific cabin has a specific Experience attached. For my understanding you can not select a cabin and change the Experience. Let’s take cabin 11028 on MSC Seaview. 11028 is Bella Balcony. The cabin next to 11028 is 11030 which is Fantastica Balcony. You can not change 11028 to Fantastica even the adjacent cabin is identical and has Fantastica Experience. I might be wrong but this is how I understand the ‘Cabin & Experience’ system of MSC.

23 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

Thank You. That clarifies it. I have read where there is no comparison between the regular cabins experience and the Yacht Club cabins experience. Is there that much of a difference and would you travel in regular cabins or only in Yacht Club? I'm trying to decide if the regular experience on MSC is comparable to other cruise lines or is it lacking.

We had sailed MSC since before there was such a thing as the yacht club and enjoyed it.

However.....now that we have done the YC....I would not go back.

some of the best things,  embarkation and disembarkation, the YC pool with its great buffet, large private lounge,etc.

Remember when you are factoring in the price, that alcohol, sodas, specialty coffee are included throughout the ship. Venchi  ice creams,shakes,crepes,etc. are also included.

Starting in the middle of next year, internet will also be included.

youtube the MSC yacht club. You will be amazed.

it is elegant yet you can be casual !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Floridastorm said:

We've sailed Aurea experience and YC and enjoyed both. YC is a more special luxurious experience, as reflected in the price. 

We are planning our first MSC cruise. Are those that you call "experiences" equal the same as "perks" on other cruiselines? Like perks for Platinum level on NCL for example or it's something different? Is YC  an equivalent to Haven on NCL in fact that it is a separate part of the ship with their own restaurants, pool area and such? I'm just trying to understand if YC experience is just a different name for the comparable exclusive experience on other  lines?  

Edited by Aldeya

On 10/27/2019 at 2:54 PM, Floridastorm said:

Is there that much of a difference and would you travel in regular cabins or only in Yacht Club? I'm trying to decide if the regular experience on MSC is comparable to other cruise lines or is it lacking.

We have sailed 3-times with MSC and 2 upcoming cruises booked for 2020 and 2021.

We booked Yacht Club after doing extensive research and decided that the YC Experience offers the kind of upscale and calm environment what we are looking for. The cabin combined with the YC Top Sail Lounge, YC Restaurant, outstanding service and reasonable cruise prices convinced us to try MSC.

36 minutes ago, Aldeya said:

We are planning our first MSC cruise. Are those that you call "experiences" equal the same as "perks" on other cruiselines? Like perks for Platinum level on NCL for example or it's something different? Is YC  an equivalent to Haven on NCL in fact that it is a separate part of the ship with their own restaurants, pool area and such? I'm just trying to understand if YC experience is just a different name for the comparable exclusive experience on other  lines?  

I would describe the ‘Experiences’ of MSC Cruises as ‘classes’ of airlines. ‘Experience’ is the combination of cabin typ, location of cabin and perks. Like airlines have Economy, Premium Economy, Business Class and First Class. The type of seat, location on the plane and perks (service, meals) makes the ‘Experience’.

On MSC the Experience has nothing to do with your level being a Voyagers Club member.

Yacht Club is the VIP only “ship-in-ship” concept of MSC Cruises. The cabins are on high decks in the front of newer ships. The access is controlled by cruise card. YC has Top Sail Lounge, Restaurant, Butler Service and many more perks.

On 10/27/2019 at 2:54 PM, Floridastorm said:

The Experiences are what you're familiar with on other lines. What Experience determine how many extras are included - anytime dining, priority boarding, room service delivery, thermal suite, etc. Everyone, regardless of Experience, has the same basic cruise Experience - dining room, buffet, entertainment, pools, activities and so forth, and no on knows what Experience you booked unless you tell them..

The description below of Airline classes is excellent and really sums it up.

We've done YC and non-YC, and would do either again, depending on price and Itinerary. While we really enjoyed our YC Experience, we definitely didn't find it to be so much more than our Aurea Experience that we'd pay some of the inflated prices at this point.  We enjoyed the extra amenities from Aurea, and we did really like the extra pool ans deck, etc with YC.. by we'd absolutely sail non-YC any time..

Depends on what's important to you, budget, and so forth. 

15 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

The Experiences are what you're familiar with on other lines. What Experience determine how many extras are included - anytime dining, priority boarding, room service delivery, thermal suite, etc. Everyone, regardless of Experience, has the same basic cruise Experience - dining room, buffet, entertainment, pools, activities and so forth, and no on knows what Experience you booked unless you tell them..

The description below of Airline classes is excellent and really sums it up.

We've done YC and non-YC, and would do either again, depending on price and Itinerary. While we really enjoyed our YC Experience, we definitely didn't find it to be so much more than our Aurea Experience that we'd pay some of the inflated prices at this point.  We enjoyed the extra amenities from Aurea, and we did really like the extra pool ans deck, etc with YC.. by we'd absolutely sail non-YC any time..

Depends on what's important to you, budget, and so forth. 

That is definitely the comprehensive answer that I needed. After reading so many derogatory reviews, that tend to scare one away, it's nice to hear something different. I have no idea if a lot of these derogatory reviews are on the up and up. Some of the reviews seem to find nothing good with the MSC ships, with the exception of the modernness and overall attractiveness of the ships,  and warn to stay away. Extremely crowded, rudeness of the passengers and staff, food not very good, inattentiveness and lack of knowledge of the staff, basically disorganization of the ships as a whole particularly embarkation and disembarkation, etc., etc. These are some of the complaints in the reviews. That is why I am hesitant.

36 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

That is definitely the comprehensive answer that I needed. After reading so many derogatory reviews, that tend to scare one away, it's nice to hear something different. I have no idea if a lot of these derogatory reviews are on the up and up. Some of the reviews seem to find nothing good with the MSC ships, with the exception of the modernness and overall attractiveness of the ships,  and warn to stay away. Extremely crowded, rudeness of the passengers and staff, food not very good, inattentiveness and lack of knowledge of the staff, basically disorganization of the ships as a whole particularly embarkation and disembarkation, etc., etc. These are some of the complaints in the reviews. That is why I am hesitant.

YC is quite different than NCL's Haven.  For one, except I think with a few ship specific exceptions, only rooms (suites, balconies, and a few insides) that are physically located within the Yacht Club are, well YCs.  This really is a "ship within a ship".   The public spaces in the YC blow anything NCL Haven has to offer out of the water, and the service levels do as well.  One is absolutely, positively spoiled in the YC.  And as noted up thread, taking into account the included alcohol and other "freebies", and certainly by comparison to NCH Haven pricing, YC is very good value.

We have sailed MSC 4 times, all in YC, so I can't give first hand perspective, but I would think Aurea experience would be at least comparable to "regular" service in other mainstream lines.  There will be some things better (ship, shows, pizza, venti, etc.), and some perhaps less so or just different.

Give it a try!  Go with an open mind, expect different experiences and lean into them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Floridastorm said:

Glad to help.  We only have a few MSC cruises under our belts so far, but have two more booked for this year and two for next year.  This year's are in YC because we got a screaming good deal, particularly for Christmas and New Year's time. Too good to not do it again. Otherwise, we would have booked Fantastica with our friends and bought the Premium Plus package, the thermal suite (which has its own sundeck and hot tub area also for peace and quite) and the trio dining package. Would have been a fantastic time that way too (and is in fact what our cruise buddies are doing)..

Our two next year are currently Fantastica and we'll likely downgrade to Bella to save the few $$ that don't really give any extra perks and just do the upgrades as above, ie thermal suite, etc. 

We personally much enjoy the more continental European atmosphere, the much wider demographics and the multiple languages. Didn't find guests any more rude than any other line, and more were dressed more sophisticated and took the dress up nights more seriously than other lines, etc. We also get that just because a culture does something different to ours, doesn't make them rude - a concept many seem to miss (phrases like basic manners or such always make me laugh, as "basic manners" can vary quite a lot by culture).   When someone is actually rude - ie abusing a crew member or physical or such, we definitely speak up (part of our culture 😉   )   but not queuing in the buffet - when there's no defined queue anyways? That's not rude, that's just good time management.  Lol.

I firmly believe a cruise, or any vacation, is what you make it - manage your expectations, be aware that the other 5000 people think they're just as special and ready to have fun as you, and roll with it.  And yes, I've been on cruises with things that went wrong - it's both how I respond and how the company does that matter.  And understand that, again, it's a very continental European line - service standards, etc are more along to Italy or such than USA, even while sailing out of USA.  

Check your bill frequently like any cruise line, give guest services a call if/when there's an actual problem and get names of who you talk to, like any line, follow-up when/if needed, etc.  

I'm sure you'll have a great time, whatever Experience you book..

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

Glad to help.  We only have a few MSC cruises under our belts so far, but have two more booked for this year and two for next year.  This year's are in YC because we got a screaming good deal, particularly for Christmas and New Year's time. Too good to not do it again. Otherwise, we would have booked Fantastica with our friends and bought the Premium Plus package, the thermal suite (which has its own sundeck and hot tub area also for peace and quite) and the trio dining package. Would have been a fantastic time that way too (and is in fact what our cruise buddies are doing)..

Our two next year are currently Fantastica and we'll likely downgrade to Bella to save the few $$ that don't really give any extra perks and just do the upgrades as above, ie thermal suite, etc. 

We personally much enjoy the more continental European atmosphere, the much wider demographics and the multiple languages. Didn't find guests any more rude than any other line, and more were dressed more sophisticated and took the dress up nights more seriously than other lines, etc. We also get that just because a culture does something different to ours, doesn't make them rude - a concept many seem to miss (phrases like basic manners or such always make me laugh, as "basic manners" can vary quite a lot by culture).   When someone is actually rude - ie abusing a crew member or physical or such, we definitely speak up (part of our culture 😉   )   but not queuing in the buffet - when there's no defined queue anyways? That's not rude, that's just good time management.  Lol.

I firmly believe a cruise, or any vacation, is what you make it - manage your expectations, be aware that the other 5000 people think they're just as special and ready to have fun as you, and roll with it.  And yes, I've been on cruises with things that went wrong - it's both how I respond and how the company does that matter.  And understand that, again, it's a very continental European line - service standards, etc are more along to Italy or such than USA, even while sailing out of USA.  

Check your bill frequently like any cruise line, give guest services a call if/when there's an actual problem and get names of who you talk to, like any line, follow-up when/if needed, etc.  

I'm sure you'll have a great time, whatever Experience you book..

Remember, the reviews I have seen are those of anonymous MSC passengers and are not mine as I have never cruised on MSC before.  I am not in position to agree or disagree whether these reviews are representative of the MSC experience and how it pertains to me. As you hinted different strokes for different folks. I am retired now but traveled the world in my profession and have had to put up with all types and kinds of behavior than what I did in the US. I guess I will just have to decide whether a "different' experience in cruising is worth it. I never experienced anything but an exceptional time aboard the HAL, Celebrity, and Windstar ships. But, thank you for providing a very good insight into the MSC cruise line. 🛳️

Edited by Floridastorm

3 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

Extremely crowded, rudeness of the passengers and staff, food not very good, inattentiveness and lack of knowledge of the staff, basically disorganization of the ships as a whole particularly embarkation and disembarkation, etc., etc. These are some of the complaints in the reviews. That is why I am hesitant.

Some early reviews reflect the problems of a new ship. This is very often the case for ANY cruise-line that launches a new ship especially if the ship is the first of a class. Unfortunately, some people were sailing MSC for the first time so the "newness" of the ship combined with the "new cruise-line" differences amplified the complaints. Some complaints are legit but they are often quickly fixed. The bad review remains. 

I had a great time on Seaside but there were some issues with the stateroom. Others who stayed in the same stateroom weeks/months later reported that all issues that I had have been fixed. Some CC members even thanked me for raising the issue thinking that MSC saw the review and acted accordingly. :classic_biggrin:

I like MSC and I also like NCL. I put both easily above Carnival. RCCL has some great ships (and some not-so-great) but I'd also put them above Carnival. MSC and NCL have the advantage of their "ship-within-a-ship" concept which works for us (family of 4). 

I will continue to sail with MSC and I'm especially looking forward to the new ships coming to Miami. New "shipness" doesn't bother me. I usually sail a new ship during the first year that it launches so both NCL and MSC will be in my future. If possible, I wait a few months to let them work out the kinks. 

• Like 1

Yacht Club is overpriced and over hyped.  Don't do it.  And it has a weird smell and is crowded and the staff are rude.  No shade, the pool is the size of a postage stamp and I hear people pee in it.  Restaurant food is all weird fish and burned steaks.

Yea, we've stayed in YC and will never again.  Bad.

Stay with Aurea suites

• Haha 2

We’ve done 46 cruises on six different cruise lines on 14 different ships, and none of them even comes close to the two great cruises we’ve done on MSC Seaside, in a YC Deluxe Suite in the last 14 months. The Boss says if it’s not in the YC suite, she doesn’t want to go. The crowds and crappy food was in the regular part of the ship according to the many people we talked to in the theater and the bars.

We never felt crowded, the staff was much better than those on ANY of the other main line cruise lines, the food was better and there is all kinds of shade at the bar and grill on deck 19.

The prices have risen dramatically since word has gotten out on how great it is, but you can still find deals cheaper than others such as Celebrity, RCL, NCL, Princess, etc. In August we paid $9,000 for the two of us on Celebrity Equinox, in a Sky Suite. In October we paid $5,500 for the two of us in a YC suite. Both were 14 days.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

We’ve done 46 cruises on six different cruise lines on 14 different ships, and none of them even comes close to the two great cruises we’ve done on MSC Seaside, in a YC Deluxe Suite in the last 14 months. The Boss says if it’s not in the YC suite, she doesn’t want to go. The crowds and crappy food was in the regular part of the ship according to the many people we talked to in the theater and the bars.

We never felt crowded, the staff was much better than those on ANY of the other main line cruise lines, the food was better and there is all kinds of shade at the bar and grill on deck 19.

The prices have risen dramatically since word has gotten out on how great it is, but you can still find deals cheaper than others such as Celebrity, RCL, NCL, Princess, etc. In August we paid $9,000 for the two of us on Celebrity Equinox, in a Sky Suite. In October we paid $5,500 for the two of us in a YC suite. Both were 14 days.

Sounds good for the folks that can afford such accommodations however we are on a fixed retirement income like most regular folks and those prices would be way out of our budget at any time. What you described, speaking with a few passengers in regular cabins, is the condition that 95% of the passengers cruised under which apparently was not that satisfactory. Since I would not be able to put out the funds for the Yacht Club experience I guess we will keep looking for cruise lines that we've had good experience with and that is Holland America and Celebrity. I would also think that Princess is a bit better than the rest although we have never traveled with them. Thanks again for the heads up.😐

Edited by Floridastorm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

Sounds good for the folks that can afford such accommodations however we are on a fixed retirement income like most regular folks and those prices would be way out of our budget at any time. What you described, speaking with a few passengers in regular cabins, is the condition that 95% of the passengers cruised under which apparently was not that satisfactory. Since I would not be able to put out the funds for the Yacht Club experience I guess we will keep looking for cruise lines that we've had good experience with and that is Holland America and Celebrity. I would also think that Princess is a bit better than the rest although we have never traveled with them. Thanks again for the heads up.😐

We have sailed on a number of non-luxury cruise lines.  Celebrity was our favorite, but the ubiquitous loud music everywhere is so much of a turn-off that we have dropped them.  Princess has always been reliable, and their Royal Class ships get good ratings in the 2020 Berlitz guide.  Holland America, which we have been tempted to try since they finally got a modern smoking policy, is curiously rated very badly [especially on food, which CC fans claim is great].  We haven't tried Royal Caribbean [and won't, because we don't like amusement park ships unless they have a suite haven], but Berlitz gives it surprisingly strong ratings – and as the only non-premium line I have mentioned it might offer you good value.  [But, seriously, don't take my word for this:  borrow a copy of the 2020 Berlitz Guide to Cruising and Cruise Ships from your local library and read the reviews and ratings for yourself.  It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than any one CC poster's personal opinion.  Even mine...]

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We have sailed on a number of non-luxury cruise lines.  Celebrity was our favorite, but the ubiquitous loud music everywhere is so much of a turn-off that we have dropped them.  Princess has always been reliable, and their Royal Class ships get good ratings in the 2020 Berlitz guide.  Holland America, which we have been tempted to try since they finally got a modern smoking policy, is curiously rated very badly [especially on food, which CC fans claim is great].  We haven't tried Royal Caribbean [and won't, because we don't like amusement park ships unless they have a suite haven], but Berlitz gives it surprisingly strong ratings – and as the only non-premium line I have mentioned it might offer you good value.  [But, seriously, don't take my word for this:  borrow a copy of the 2020 Berlitz Guide to Cruising and Cruise Ships from your local library and read the reviews and ratings for yourself.  It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than any one CC poster's personal opinion.  Even mine...]

I've only gone on one X cruise, no loud music. Only one HAL cruise, I loved the food so did everyone in my party. Our cabin steward was fantastic. Dining staff was average to fantastic.

DH & I have 2 more X cruises booked. I thought the food was average. The vegan desserts were fantastic. DH an omnivore thought the food was average to good depending on the meal. He said the desserts were usually not great. The service was average everywhere outside of our cabin. Cabin steward service was below average. He seemed overwhelmed. 

We have 2 MSC Cruises booked in the YC. We have never cruised MSC. The negatve reviews are off putting but I'm hopeful since many seem to enjoy the YC experience. 

15 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

After these experiences, I would find a way to make it work, even if I was on a fixed retirement income though I am retired. Through savings and some smart investments, money is not a problem. For example, I'd rather go once every three years and have a great experience than go every year and have an average time, but that's just me.