Dress Code and Dinner time

Caroldoll

It has been years since I was on Silverseas.  Do they still have strictly formal nights that require a tuxedo?  Or, may the gentleman wear, say a velvet sport jacket and a silk shirt?  Preferably no tie?

Also, what time is dinner?

I do appreciate any guidance

12 minutes ago, Caroldoll said:

It has been years since I was on Silverseas.  Do they still have strictly formal nights that require a tuxedo?  Or, may the gentleman wear, say a velvet sport jacket and a silk shirt?  Preferably no tie?

Also, what time is dinner?

I do appreciate any guidance

On Classic ships there are still Formal nights, suit and tie can worn, but the MDR will still need a tie. There are other options if you do not wish to dress up.

Dinner starts at 7pm.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

On Classic ships there are still Formal nights, suit and tie can worn, but the MDR will still need a tie. There are other options if you do not wish to dress up.

Dinner starts at 7pm.

Thank you so much for answering.  We have the clothes, but in California, we are just not accustomed to this amount of formality.  We can do it!  Women are easier, a really nice long black dress fits the bill.  Men are another story.  This itinerary is everything we want, so we are in!  You are the best for offering your opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Observer said:

If (like me) you prefer not to dress up, you can dine al fresco at the wonderful Grill on formal nights.  It's always casual there.  LaTerrazza is informal on formal nights (jacket but no tie required).

The Grill at night is Hot Rocks on the Silver Whisper. I would rather dress up than do that again. They put a large, very hot slab of rock on the table, and bring you raw food to cook on it. It's smokey and sizzling, and since the light isn't good, it's hard to tell when you're food is done. The cooking of your meat or seafood is your responsibility. I guess there are some people who like doing this, but we didn't. While we rarely dress up in Florida, I would rather do that than cook on a slab of rock.

A dark jacket and pants with a tie worked fine for the Restaurant on formal night. La Terrazza and room service are both better alternatives to Hot Rocks on formal night if you don't feel like dressing up and your ship has Hot Rocks at the Grill in the evening.

10 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

The Grill at night is Hot Rocks on the Silver Whisper. I would rather dress up than do that again. They put a large, very hot slab of rock on the table, and bring you raw food to cook on it. It's smokey and sizzling, and since the light isn't good, it's hard to tell when you're food is done. The cooking of your meat or seafood is your responsibility. I guess there are some people who like doing this, but we didn't. While we rarely dress up in Florida, I would rather do that than cook on a slab of rock.

I share your dislike for cooking my own meal.  I have not been on Whisper for a few years, but on all of my Silversea journeys I ask that my ribeye steak be cooked on the grill in the pool deck galley, and it is brought to me along with requested accompaniments fully prepared.  There is no need to cook for oneself on the hot rock.  Incidentally, I believe that Silversea has moved away from the Hot Rocks name and (though hot rocks are available but not required at dinnertime) now refers to the venue as The Grill. 

Thanks for that info. We have a 36 night cruise the next time we're on the Whisper, so we may want to try the Pool Grill for dinner again to have more variety. We'll definitely ask to have them cook the steak before bringing it to the table, and we'll try to get a table as far upwind as possible.

On our last Silversea cruise in November of last year,  I ordered something that I didn't need to cook. I guess it was pretty forgettable since I can't remember what it was, but my goal was to not cook it myself.  My husband and brother both chose to cook, and it was not a pleasant experience for any of us. We had already made another reservation for the Pool Grill, and cancelled it the next morning.

I've not been on the Whisper but at Hot Rocks on the other non-adventure ships, they will certainly cook your steaks, etc for you.  I loathe cooking anywhere, least of all  on a ship & wouldn't want that smoke smell on my clothes.  You just need to ask.

We actually like The Grill/Hot Rocks and don’t mind cooking our own protein.   We also like formal nights and would never book The Grill/Hot Rocks on a formal night.   One way or the other remember that The Grill/Hot Rocks usually requires a reservation.   On warm weather itineraries like the Med and Caribbean you may find it hard to impossible to get a last minute or walk up table.   

New to Silversea so not sure what ‘Classic ships’ mean and which still have formal nights. we are on a 10N Silversea Shadow Rome to Barcelona and one earlier post inferred there was no formal nights. I have no problems with them, just need to know if I should pack a suit instead of just a sports jacket. 

Den

36 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

New to Silversea so not sure what ‘Classic ships’ mean and which still have formal nights. we are on a 10N Silversea Shadow Rome to Barcelona and one earlier post inferred there was no formal nights. I have no problems with them, just need to know if I should pack a suit instead of just a sports jacket. 

Den

I think in the context “Classic ships” means the regular cruising part of the fleet not the expedition ships.   A 10-day cruise should have two formal nights.  I can’t imagine no formal nights particularly on a Med cruise which tend to be more formal.  As for a suit versus sports jacket that’s become more and more your choice than in the last.  The “guidance” is a tux or a dark suit but my impression is that as long as you have a jacket of any kind and wear a tie you’ll be fine.  When it came time to replace my much beloved tux I went to a black suit and silk ties for formal nights.  Nowadays in retirement I’m more likely to go to a funeral than a formal event so the dark suit works and certainly is not out of place on Silversea. 

Edited by Randyk47
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

I think in the context “Classic ships” means the regular cruising part of the fleet not the expedition ships.   A 10-day cruise should have two formal nights.  I can’t imagine no formal nights particularly on a Med cruise which tend to be more formal.  As for a suit versus sports jacket that’s become more and more your choice than in the last.  The “guidance” is a tux or a dark suit but my impression is that as long as you have a jacket of any kind and wear a tie you’ll be fine.  When it came time to replace my much beloved tux I went to a black suit and silk ties for formal nights.  Nowadays in retirement I’m more likely to go to a funeral than a formal event so the dark suit works and certainly is not out of place on Silversea. 

Thank you. I’m not looking for an excuse to ‘dress down’ but to make sure I pack properly. I’ll go with a dark suit and, yes I love Bow Ties! 

I’ve cruised on Celebrity a good deal and It use to have formal nights that have now been moved to ‘evening chic’ which is now defined as a shirt with a collar. Funny how it’s guys who can’t put on anything beyond a polo shirt and pants. 

I still wear a jacket and tie or my bow tie just because that’s what I’m comfortable in. I don’t really worry (or care) too much what others wear, but it does get a bit tiring listening to the: “I wore a suit to work every day so I’m not doing it on vacation”...which can be interpreted: “I was paid to wear a suit to work, but even though my wife would like me to wear a suit, I Won’t!!”. Got it. Priorities. 

Currently on a Celebrity TransAtlantic from Southampton to FLL with stops in NYC plus other neat ports. Went to an evening play in NYC and I think I was one of the few in a sports jacket or suit..........a sports jacket......at a ‘not-cheap’ evening play. I accept Life has changed. But I enjoy what I do and realize others don’t have to follow what I do, but blue jeans and t-shirt to a Broadway Play and your woman is dressed up? Apparently woman grew up and ‘we’ didn’t get beyond our teens. 

By the way, my generality is just that. Two men sitting in our row had suits on and looked great - and were with each other. Apparently women and gay men grew beyond their teens.

Den  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Thank you. I’m not looking for an excuse to ‘dress down’ but to make sure I pack properly. I’ll go with a dark suit and, yes I love Bow Ties! 

I’ve cruised on Celebrity a good deal and It use to have formal nights that have now been moved to ‘evening chic’ which is now defined as a shirt with a collar. Funny how it’s guys who can’t put on anything beyond a polo shirt and pants. 

I still wear a jacket and tie or my bow tie just because that’s what I’m comfortable in. I don’t really worry (or care) too much what others wear, but it does get a bit tiring listening to the: “I wore a suit to work every day so I’m not doing it on vacation”...which can be interpreted: “I was paid to wear a suit to work, but even though my wife would like me to wear a suit, I Won’t!!”. Got it. Priorities. 

Currently on a Celebrity TransAtlantic from Southampton to FLL with stops in NYC plus other neat ports. Went to an evening play in NYC and I think I was one of the few in a sports jacket or suit..........a sports jacket......at a ‘not-cheap’ evening play. I accept Life has changed. But I enjoy what I do and realize others don’t have to follow what I do, but blue jeans and t-shirt to a Broadway Play and your woman is dressed up? Apparently woman grew up and ‘we’ didn’t get beyond our teens. 

By the way, my generality is just that. Two men sitting in our row had suits on and looked great - and were with each other. Apparently women and gay men grew beyond their teens.

Den  

Nicely put, you will feel at home on SS.

19 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Den

Hi Denny:classic_biggrin: good to see you again. Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

21 hours ago, Denny01 said:

We are on a 10N Silversea Shadow Rome to Barcelona and one earlier post inferred there was no formal nights. I have no problems with them, just need to know if I should pack a suit instead of just a sports jacket.

Den,

The Shadow is a classic ship.  Formal night is only optional in the Med on voyages of 7-days or less.  So, since your sailing is 10-days, you’ll have two formal nights.  Therefore, if you would like to dine in The Restaurant or La Dame on a formal evening, SS requires men to wear a tuxedo, dark suit, or dinner jacket.  Tie is required.

Enjoy your voyage!

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Denny:classic_biggrin: good to see you again. Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Always nice to hear from friends. One of these days we’ll team up!  

in Boston after our TA and NYC Silouette.  

den

We never do formal night.  You can go to any Michelin 3* without a tie (and most without even a jacket).  Why do I want to put on a costume that is uncomfortable.  I do bring a jacket and wear it most nights.

This picture of our entire luggage for an 11 night cruise and 5 day post cruise might help to clarify why we don't like formal night.  (Would be the same amount of luggage if it was a 100 night cruise.)

19143259_10210548962254919_7932661931943897510_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, twinklles said:

We never do formal night.  You can go to any Michelin 3* without a tie (and most without even a jacket).  Why do I want to put on a costume that is uncomfortable.  I do bring a jacket and wear it most nights.

This picture of our entire luggage for an 11 night cruise and 5 day post cruise might help to clarify why we don't like formal night.  (Would be the same amount of luggage if it was a 100 night cruise.)

Amazing!  For sure not happening in this household.  🥴😀

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 11:59 AM, twinklles said:

We avoid formal night, but 2 backpacks are absolutely not happening for us. I can easily pack a week's worth of clothes for myself in a carry-on. My husband needs a backpack that size just to carry his laptop, and other mostly electronic things important to him, along with a change of underwear and a raincoat (which I insist he include). I don't know how anyone could pack for an extended period of time on a luxury cruise in a backpack.

Earlier today, I saw a picture from a hotel room where the person cleaning the room found the guest's underwear being boiled in the electric tea kettle. I have often used the electric kettle or the coffee maker in our room. I also have cleaned it thoroughly before using it, and now I feel vindicated.

One last question I have is where do you put the jacket in your backpack? Maybe you roll it up and then have it pressed,  and after that have laundered at least once if your wearing it most (or all) nights?

I don't own what would be considered true formalwear......long gowns, etc but I do enjoy dressing up a bit. Dressy slacks, fancier tops, some pretty jewelry and I feel totally appropriate.

I am betting the poster wears his jacket while traveling as I don't think it would go in the backpack (just a guess).

Even as a solo traveler, I choose to bring more than those backpacks would fit...…….and that is ok with me.

I do like to have some choices:classic_smile:

There is an old saying, Different strokes for different folks......I would say that is exactly what it pertains to on this

thread.:classic_wink:

• Like 3