Onboard guests

SusieQft

I will be sailing on Regent for the first time next year.  Does Regent allow passengers to bring guests on board?  If so, can this be done on the day of embarkation?  We have done this before on Crystal, and there is an easy link on the Priority Check-in and Planning Center to sign up.  I can't find anything similar on Regent.

I not sure about embarkation day, but any day the ship is is port.  It does take time and you must fill out a form with the guest information.  The guest must bring with them the ID used on the form.  Passport is best but driver lic work, and Regent keeps that ID until the guest gets off the ship.  Beside you bring a copy of the approval letter just in case the ship doesn't have it, the time we did this the ship had no record, after giving them a copy of the approval--all was good.

6 hours ago, PinkMEB said:

Is it just on embarkation day guests can board? I’d like to invite my sister for lunch when we are on Charleston. 

Any port day, but that does not mean in every port, everywhere. In the US it is usually no problem, if the forms are filled out will enough in advance.  I would think that a non embarkation day would be easier to get approval. They have told me that there was going to be a charge for visitors meals, but it has never turned up on my final invoice.

J

Thank you to everyone who replied.  Your input was very helpful.  The only port I am interested in is my embarkation port, so I guess I need to call Regent to confirm if it is possible and if so to get the application form.

5 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Embarkation Day is a bit of a zoo at la Veranda and the Pool Grill.   I might not want to subject a friend to that!

Thank you for the information.  This will be my first Regent trip, but I was afraid that might be the case.  Maybe I should wait until after I experience it myself.

Depending on what level of suite you have you might be able to invite your friend onboard and to visit your suite.  The "name" suites - Regent, Master and Grand - have 1200 occupancy.  Explorer/Mariner/etc suites - 1300.  For the rest generally you can access your suite at 1430 or slightly before.  Announcements are made.  No room service at lunch though (understandable on Embarkation day).  Just about everyone heads to la Veranda once boarded.  Hence the "zoo".  But if a nice day you could sit by the pool and have something from the pool grill or at least a drink.  Or sit quietly in the Observation lounge etc until suites are ready.

We have asked about inviting a guest for dinner on this cruise(Explorer). We were told they need 72 hours notice with a form filled in with passport number, date of birth and nationality of the guest. We were told there was no charge. 

We are in an F2 category and were not asked for that information so I think suite category is not an issue. 

We were not asking for embarkation day so don’t know about that. 

I have to say that I can't imagine why cruise ships allow visitors onboard. There's so much security involved with boarding cruise ships at the ports in the US. Even in other countries, our passports are checked multiple times when we board, and we have our photos taken and an ID created when we board. We're checked every  time we leave, and twice when we reboard (once by the port, and again when we board the ship). But "visitors" are allowed to board, and apparently are allowed to eat, drink, and visit cabins of people that they know. Where's the security when this occurs?

1 hour ago, SWFLAOK said:

I have to say that I can't imagine why cruise ships allow visitors onboard. There's so much security involved with boarding cruise ships at the ports in the US. Even in other countries, our passports are checked multiple times when we board, and we have our photos taken and an ID created when we board. We're checked every  time we leave, and twice when we reboard (once by the port, and again when we board the ship). But "visitors" are allowed to board, and apparently are allowed to eat, drink, and visit cabins of people that they know. Where's the security when this occurs?

The guest must summit their photo ID information in advance. This info is then sent to shore side security before boarding for vetting. On the day of the visit the guest has to go through security check just like all others boarding the ship.  Once they board, they are given a special badge to wear that is surrendered when they debark. Yes guest are allowed unrestricted access to the ship and most of the amenities.

IMO, Rarely is anyone check twice, as you suggest; once on shore and again on the ship.

J

12 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

I have to say that I can't imagine why cruise ships allow visitors onboard. ...

Having had guests on board, it seems that the staff have been instructed to be especially nice to guests, presumably as a marketing opportunity.  We're all used to spectacular service on Regent, but with guests in tow in my experience it gets even better. Incidentally, although Regent claimed they would bill us a nominal amount for guests, we never got the bill.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

Having had guests on board, it seems that the staff have been instructed to be especially nice to guests, presumably as a marketing opportunity.  We're all used to spectacular service on Regent, but with guests in tow in my experience it gets even better. Incidentally, although Regent claimed they would bill us a nominal amount for guests, we never got the bill.

And it works as such. A friend, whose only cruise experience was Carnival, visited me on the Navigator. She now has a booking on Splendor.

I don’t see any problem with allowing the occasional visitor.  Their IDs are verified, I’m sure, and paperwork has been done.  In addition, a current passenger has effectively vouched for them..who vouches for us while we’re on board?  Really, the only difference between a passenger and a guest is a key card that Regent issues.  I mean, technically, we’re ALL guests when you get down to it, whether we’re on board for 10 days or 10 hours.

Its not like they’re just letting people wander in off the street...

21 hours ago, JMARINER said:

IMO, Rarely is anyone check twice, as you suggest; once on shore and again on the ship.

We were checked twice in a number of ports on our Med cruise in July, and the port in Venice was definitley one of them. I was surprised to have to show my ID twice to get back on the ship. I guess I just imagined it, or I'm a liar. But anyone can have quests onboard, and they seem to have less security than we do, and they eat, and drink for free.

Who ensures that they leave the ship at the end of their visit?

At this point, I'm done with the Regent board, and am considering cancelling our 2021 cruise. I obviously don't fit in with the regulars on this cruise line.

And no, you're not a guest if you board for 10 hours because you aren't paying for it. I've paid for the entire cruise, and Regent isn't inexpensive.

Edited by SWFLAOK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SWFLAOK said:

I guess I just imagined it, or I'm a liar.

And no, you're not a guest if you board for 10 hours because you aren't paying for it. I've paid for the entire cruise, and Regent isn't inexpensive.

Please re-read what I wrote. I said "Rarely" not never. But in my 50 Regent Cruises over nearly 19 years, I can think of only a handful of port where you are checked (metal detectors and x-ray handbags) both on the dock and again on the ship.

The guest is given a ID badge that works much like a key card. The ship manifest computer knows who is and is not aboard. If they are not off, the Captain will come on the PA looking for them.

Actually,  you are paying for the right to have a guest as part of your cruise fare. Look at it this way: in many US ports, local Travel Agents are invited onboard for the day for a tour and lunch. Who pays for them? Bottom line, that cost is part of everyone cruise fare.

J

Edited by JMARINER

At some ports local travel agents and sometimes press are invited on board to review the ship and to eat lunch - it is all marketing. When we were in Hawaii two years ago, we were in port overnight and prior guests were invited on board for a mini reunion. It was certainly a marketing opportunity and the cruise consultant was the hostess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

We were checked twice in a number of ports on our Med cruise in July, and the port in Venice was definitley one of them. I was surprised to have to show my ID twice to get back on the ship. I guess I just imagined it, or I'm a liar. But anyone can have quests onboard, and they seem to have less security than we do, and they eat, and drink for free.

At this point, I'm done with the Regent board, and am considering cancelling our 2021 cruise. I obviously don't fit in with the regulars on this cruise line.

No, you didnt imagine it. Just last week, on my Navigator Caribbean cruise, on a number of ports ,we had to show key card PLUS ID to be let into the port's area. Then of course key card once again when we board the ship. I have no problem with this, but would have a problem if every guest decides to invite a guest(s) on embarkation day ( or any other day). I didnt know of this practice and frankly, I'm not in favor of it. Its hectic enough on La Veranda on embarkation day even without multiple "guests".

8 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

But anyone can have quests onboard

Regent staff, crew and passengers can arrange for guests to come on board; but this must be arranged and agreed well in advance with  identification being supplied to allow security checks. The host is responsible for the guest while they are on the ship.

they seem to have less security than we do

No, this is not the case. Every visitor carries a unique security lanyard associated with the government issued ID that they will have presented to security.

they eat, and drink for free

Regent reserves the right to charge the passenger for their guest’s meal if invited for lunch or dinner; but as others have said some guests are considered to be a marketing opportunity

The ship’s security staff

At this point, I'm done with the Regent board, and am considering cancelling our 2021 cruise.

Is your decision to cancel a cruise based on a poor prior experience of Regent or simply because some posters on CC do not agree with your opinions? Just curious.

Edited by flossie009
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

on our last cruise just a couple of weeks ago there were a couple of ports where we showed our key cards in the terminal and then again when we boarded so it does happen. Depends on the port. 

Hope you don't cancel your cruise because of this forum. Very small part of the passengers onboard and my experience most Regent passengers are friendly engaging people. 

13 hours ago, flossie009 said:

💢Regent staff, crew and passengers can arrange for guests to come on board; but this must be arranged and agreed well in advance with  identification being supplied to allow security checks. The host is responsible for the guest while they are on the ship.

💢No, this is not the case. Every visitor carries a unique security lanyard associated with the government issued ID that they will have presented to security.

💢Regent reserves the right to charge the passenger for their guest’s meal if invited for lunch or dinner; but as others have said some guests are considered to be a marketing opportunity

💢The ship’s security staff

Is your decision to cancel a cruise based on a poor prior experience of Regent or simply because some posters on CC do not agree with your opinions? Just curious.

Flossie, good answers, as usual.  I’m curious, too.  I’ve never brought guests aboard, and frankly I’ve never seen enough guests to even notice.  I’m assuming it’s not too common and it appears to be well-managed...and probably done on most other cruise lines as well.  So if someone leaves Regent because of visitors onboard, are they really gaining anything?   🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1