Buying jewelry on board

queeniev

Ok, bought an expensive ring on board, however left it on the ship for them to size.. which was a few days later. However when I got home changed my mind emailed the sales rep told him not interested he said sorry non refundable. The ring was not sized, I emailed them back and forth told them they could put it back on the shelf. Did not size it then so in other words was not technically a special order.. called my credit card to dispute it. But just got an alert an FedEx is delivering tomorrow. Has anyone had any suggestions. Should I contact my attorney? Or let my bank handle it an refuse the delivery., yes I know dumb 

Edited by queeniev

You bought it, apparently it's been sized and about to be delivered.  Keep it, move on, and enjoy it.  Not sure why you'd want to spend money on an attorney or go through the grief of a fight with them at this point for something you obviously liked to begin with.  Lesson learned, don't buy expensive jewelry away from home unless you are 100% sure you want it.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

If you bought something, and the item was sold as non-refundable, it does not matter if you didn't take possession of it then, if it was not sized yet, if it had not been delivered yet. If you bought something that was non-refundable, you are not due a refund. The item is yours. Best to find a way to enjoy it.

On 12/19/2019 at 11:59 PM, queeniev said:

Ok, bought an expensive ring on board, however left it on the ship for them to size.. which was a few days later. However when I got home changed my mind emailed the sales rep told him not interested he said sorry non refundable. The ring was not sized, I emailed them back and forth told them they could put it back on the shelf. Did not size it then so in other words was not technically a special order.. called my credit card to dispute it. But just got an alert an FedEx is delivering tomorrow. Has anyone had any suggestions. Should I contact my attorney? Or let my bank handle it an refuse the delivery., yes I know dumb 

Best Option:
Enjoy your purchase.

• Like 1

This is the second thread I've seen here where someone had Buyer's Remorse on a cruise and wanted some way out of the deal after the fact. 

You went into a store.
You agreed to make a non-refundable purchase.
You changed your mind several days later.
Too bad, so sad, but you made a purchase and you have to pay for it.

You can't file a complaint with your credit card company because you weren't defrauded in any way.  If you bought a diamond ring and they delivered a cubic zirconia ring, then you would have a legitimate fraudulent claim under the Fair Credit Billing Act.  But if you pay for a diamond ring and get shipped a diamond ring (whether you accept delivery or not), there is no fraud involved.

If you refuse delivery on the package, FedEx will return the ring to the seller.  You can't claim fraud by the seller just because you refused delivery.  If you file a complaint with your credit card company, the seller will show the receipt that you signed for the purchase, plus the confirmation from FedEx that they shipped the item and you refused it, and the credit card company will close the claim as unsubstantiated -- you won't have your money OR your ring.

Just accept the delivery and either enjoy the item, or try to sell it yourself to recoup some of your money.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Let this be a lesson to others.

Don't get caught up in the moment while on the ship and fall into the sales trap.

Almost everything onboard can be purchased elsewhere for less.

Most items bought on board can be price matched up to (I think) 30 days after purchased. I have bought things on board that they price matched +10% off. Some restrictions apply but they are no different than other places that offer a price match

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

........Just accept the delivery and either enjoy the item, or try to sell it yourself to recoup some of your money.

It's a good idea to try to resell it, but most of that stuff is so overpriced that it would probably be hard to get very much for it. 

Enjoy the jewelry and think of it as a momento of your cruise.

Not related to a ring purchase, but I will say that I am extremely pleased with the warranty service for a Citizen's eco drive watch purchase that I made onboard Serenade. The onboard price was only $5 more than Amazon. The warranty was for 5 years, plus an extra year if you registered it right away. I sent it in for service with Citizen after 4 years, and it was returned with an entirely new crystal band and new watch works. It was an outstanding warranty repair/replacement. 

7 hours ago, Coralc said:

Not related to a ring purchase, but I will say that I am extremely pleased with the warranty service for a Citizen's eco drive watch purchase that I made onboard Serenade. The onboard price was only $5 more than Amazon. The warranty was for 5 years, plus an extra year if you registered it right away. I sent it in for service with Citizen after 4 years, and it was returned with an entirely new crystal band and new watch works. It was an outstanding warranty repair/replacement. 

Citizen is great with honoring its warrenties. You would get the same service by purchasing from any authorized retailer.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

Most items bought on board can be price matched up to (I think) 30 days after purchased. I have bought things on board that they price matched +10% off. Some restrictions apply but they are no different than other places that offer a price match

That would be contingent on finding the exact same ring elsewhere.  And OP isn't saying it was over-priced, they just don't want to pay at all.

11 hours ago, uvadover said:

Give me a break.  Contact your attorney?  Asinine.

Exactly. Retired now but after 45 years in law, trust me, unless it’s a close relative or someone who owes you a big time favor, no attorney will touch this with a ten foot pole. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bouhunter said:

That would be contingent on finding the exact same ring elsewhere.  And OP isn't saying it was over-priced, they just don't want to pay at all.

I wasn't referring to the OPs purchase.
matj2000 said "Almost everything onboard can be purchased elsewhere for less." So I was saying that isn't necessarily the case.  
I do agree with you, jewelry would be very difficult to find an exact match 🙂

I purchased gold by the inch (royal Caribbean). We were told it was real gold. It made us break out. I spent les than 20 bucks for the 2 "gold" braclets. So I wasn't out much and really what could I expect. We are going on a Norwegian cruise, can I assume all of the "real gold" by the inch sold on cruise lines is fake?

Edited by MoniMommy

12 hours ago, MoniMommy said:

I purchased gold by the inch (royal Caribbean). We were told it was real gold. It made us break out. I spent les than 20 bucks for the 2 "gold" braclets. So I wasn't out much and really what could I expect. We are going on a Norwegian cruise, can I assume all of the "real gold" by the inch sold on cruise lines is fake?

If you spend less than $20 for 2 gold bracelets, then yes, definitely, it is not true solid gold. I've never heard them tell anyone that gold overlay products they sell by the inch are solid 14k (or 18K, or whatever) on a ship. They are always very honest. They are selling a gold product, it is a gold overlay product.

2 hours ago, terry&mike said:

If you spend less than $20 for 2 gold bracelets, then yes, definitely, it is not true solid gold. I've never heard them tell anyone that gold overlay products they sell by the inch are solid 14k (or 18K, or whatever) on a ship. They are always very honest. They are selling a gold product, it is a gold overlay product.

Thank you. I asked if it was real gold and was told yes. I guess that meant that it was real gold overlay. Thank you for clarifying! 

3 hours ago, MoniMommy said:

Thank you. I asked if it was real gold and was told yes. I guess that meant that it was real gold overlay. Thank you for clarifying! 

They answered correctly. Gold by the inch is real gold and other metals. 

If you had asked if it was 14 karat gold, or 10 or 18, they would have answered no, because it’s not solid gold, only an overlay.