Well, that'll leave a mark - Glory Damaged in Cozumel

BNBR

20 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Meaning that they can safely get the existing passengers onboard back to New Orleans and she isn't going to sink on the way.  You people are dreaming if you think she isn't going out of service for many weeks.  That's structural iron.  She's gone.  Maybe by her scheduled sailing this weekend.

This was posted on our rollcall page: 

image.thumb.jpeg.64b443445dfe11ab7059cdd1bb64bf34.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

Consider booking a hotel room that be cancelled for the duration of your cruise and have a trip either way...on the cruise ship or in the city you were sailing from.  Why have no trip just because the cruise may be cancelled.  

I'm on this one Sunday (currently scouring everything for news) with a 14 year old and driving 9+ hours to New Orleans. Then it'll be over Christmas when everything is closed. Most weeks, I'd agree that it just becomes a vacation but over Christmas, in New Orleans, and with kids really seems like the worst possible time. 

• Like 1

Just now, Monica887 said:

Because a week in New Orleans with early elementary school kids doesn't sound ideal. 

The travel agent is trying to get info for us.

First time I was in New Orleans was when I was probably 3rd grade.   We walked down Bourbon street once or twice but spent our time seeing all the other wonderful things in the city and surrounding area.  But I know some folks just don’t want that type of vacation so then it would make sense to cancel. I’m sorry y’all are in this mess.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, shavdog said:

We're in Cozumel ....it has been very windy the last couple of days.....this morning at 6am while having a cup of coffee in the lobby of our hotel accross the street from the downtown pier all of a sudden the NCL Dawn shows up going full power right by the pier and back out the sea....We've been on 25+ cruises and I have never seen a move like that....good day to be on land.....

Earlier this year I was on a Carnival ship that did the same thing. Apparently we came in too hot and had to go back out to sea and try again slower. We didn't get close enough to the pier to cause alarm but it was a good call by the captain to redo the approach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wayfairers said:

First time I was in New Orleans was when I was probably 3rd grade.   We walked down Bourbon street once or twice but spent our time seeing all the other wonderful things in the city and surrounding area.  But I know some folks just don’t want that type of vacation so then it would make sense to cancel. I’m sorry y’all are in this mess.  

Yeah. The kids are still in the "picky eater and needs structure" kind of phase which has made other types of trips more difficult. After a particularly stressful year for our family we purposely picked a laid back, don't have to think, kind of trip.

3 minutes ago, ATL_Miami_Cruiser said:

Earlier this year I was on a Carnival ship that did the same thing. Apparently we came in too hot and had to go back out to sea and try again slower. We didn't get close enough to the pier to cause alarm but it was a good call by the captain to redo the approach.

I thought the ports all require their own Pilots to bring the ships in and out.  Good thing in that case you were on  they used their captain and not a pilot since he/she was able to deem it a missed approach.  

• Thanks 1

doesn't look like a dry dock would be needed if all the damage is just the dining rooms.

Just build a false wall in that corner of the dining room and do the work during port days and during the day when no passengers are in the dining room.

No different than when a store in the mall closes and they renovate the inside.

Just need to rearrange a few dinner tables to cover everybody, maybe add a few to the my time dining that couldnt get it but wanted it when they booked.

2 minutes ago, pksundevil said:

Well the Christmas sailings and new years sailings are sold out......

• Like 2

Just now, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Well the Christmas sailings and new years sailings are sold out......

Which is why I looked at January sailings... so either all of January is completely sold out, or the ability to book has been pulled from the schedule.  Pretty sure I know which it is.

5 minutes ago, pksundevil said:

Which is why I looked at January sailings... so either all of January is completely sold out, or the ability to book has been pulled from the schedule.  Pretty sure I know which it is.

Panorama also gives same message for January. More than likely just sold out.

Did a mock booking on a Liberty cruise in January and only a handful of rooms left.

1 minute ago, robc1972 said:

Panorama also gives same message for January. More than likely just sold out.

Did a mock booking on a Liberty cruise in January and only a handful of rooms left.

The next bookable cruise on Glory starts February 23.  If they are sold out for that long, good for them.

Saw this story and immediately thought about those whose upcoming cruises that could be potentially affected. Bummer especially when you’ve planned and anticipated. I would say stay in constant contact with Carnival but unfortunately it may be a late decision. New Orleans this time of year isn’t bad but it is busy due to college football and the holidays. Good luck. 

Edited by travelling_txgal
spelling

We are on the 29th sailing.  I just got off the phone with a Carnival PVP and she said that they are planning on sailing the schedule and fixing the damage on the fly.  I guess we'll get to NOLA next week and see what happens.  At least I'm stuck in NOLA "with nothing to do" if the sailing cancels.

• Like 2