Well, that'll leave a mark - Glory Damaged in Cozumel

BNBR

9 minutes ago, AL3XCruise said:

The ship also narrowly missed the Oasis, so it is possible that the bridge crew hesitated to apply more thruster (or prop/rudder) power as that could have swung the bow into the side of Oasis.  Or the wind may have simply exceeded the capability of the stern thrusters; they do look like they are kicking up less water than what I've seen typically, but the videos aren't perfect and I don't know how the rough conditions impact what is visible.

Bingo.  If the captain followed the procedures and acted in accordance with his training, the result will be a change in procedures in training

I feel as if the Wind just crept up onto them and was too strong it is a miracle in of itself the Glory Captain was able to stop her from hitting the Oasis if we are being honest. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rasvar said:

I will say that damage is going to make the trip home interesting.  Storm system in Gulf this weekend.  Waves will be approaching from that side of the ship on her return to NOLA Sat Night, Sun Morning.

9-km ECMWF Global Wave undefined undefined 42.png

I had the same thoughts...that is some significant damage and if that ship hit some extraordinary waves etc. not the best...it seems these days extreme weather comes up fast. Would not want to be on there.

A couple of notes---

1>  There is a difference between seaworthy with irregular operations, normal operations, and cannot sail. There is nothing that would prevent this ship from SAILING in this damage (pending a full inspection), but there will be some loss of capacity and some cabins may be affected.   The ones above and below may be made unavailable for safety and repair noise reason, etc.  (Which is also why bookings may be closed, for rearranging).

2>  Based on the photos, they can seal the areas with plywood and other materials to make her equally as seaworthy as she was when it was glass windows.   Obviously, a significant part of the MDR will be unavailable for use for a while however (can be walled off).

3>  Whether they end up cancelling any cruises will depend on how they want to repair her.  What I would expect (and purely a guess) is that the next few cruises will go as scheduled or pretty close (I could see a one day delay), but with modifications to dining operations (I would expect going to an all anytime model and possibly opening up specialty dining at a discount or free to pax and extending buffet hours).  Meanwhile, they will stabilize and start to repair damage, loading on a repair crew on turnaround day).   Depending on what they find and what facilities are available, and the speed they want to resume normal operations, they may schedule a future drydock for a week to do fast repairs without pax on board, maybe in Feb or Mar.  

The CEO has been very careful to say the sailings will continue, on schedule but did NOT say normal operations, so some pax may see disruptions or cancellations even if the ship still sails.

• Like 2

The side of a ship acts like a big sail, especially when it's going slow, and a wind gust can move the ship before the crew can react.

Yep. Wind blew the Diamond Princess into the pier in Victoria while we were docking, and the propeller was so bent that the 100-mile trip back to Seattle took 8 hours. 

Edited by suebee53

24 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Might want to put in that order for the crow you need to eat, just saw on the network news sailing will not be affected, and here I thought we had all the experts here.

They're going to sail everyone home to NOLA, but after that, it's doubtful they'll go to sea. They need to have Engineers look at the ship and that crushed deck is somewhat structural and will need to be replaced.

I spent 13 years in the Navy and have put two ships through refit, including one which was damaged in a similar manner. I'm not an "expert", but I've got first hand knowledge of the process.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sean_B said:

They're going to sail everyone home to NOLA, but after that, it's doubtful they'll go to sea. They need to have Engineers look at the ship and that crushed deck is somewhat structural and will need to be replaced.

I spent 13 years in the Navy and have put two ships through refit, including one which was damaged in a similar manner. I'm not an "expert", but I've got first hand knowledge of the process.

I have no experience in ship building. But, if it’s safe enough to sail with passengers until Sunday morning, why would it not be safe enough after that? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hoosierpop said:

I have no experience in ship building. But, if it’s safe enough to sail with passengers until Sunday morning, why would it not be safe enough after that? 

2-3 days of good weather heading back to NOLA. After that, the weather gets iffy (especially this time of year) and a good storm could turn that dining room in a gnarly wave pool. That would be bad.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

Likely you have never cruised in 25-30 ft seas or you wouldn't ask that question 🙂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

If the CEO is saying that they won't be missing any sailings then that seems to be the final word. I'm surprised but if they can pull it off without going into a ship yard more power to them.

6 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

Likely you have never cruised in 25-30 ft seas or you wouldn't ask that question 🙂

I hope that’s not their criteria for allowing the current passengers on board. Well, looks like good seas so, let’s roll the dice.

It’s possible they find something on Sunday that will stop them from sailing. But it’s also possible they wall that area off, and sail. And fix things as they can.

17 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

Do you make this statement acknowledging that the CEO already commented otherwise? I'm skeptical of a "everything's fine" statement while there's still passengers to take home then a change of heart Sunday morning when there's no outstanding liabilities - to them. Curious if this is you calling shenanigans on that statement or not aware of it. 

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Do you make this statement acknowledging that the CEO already commented otherwise? I'm skeptical of a "everything's fine" statement while there's still passengers to take home then a change of heart Sunday morning when there's no outstanding liabilities - to them. Curious if this is you calling shenanigans on that statement or not aware of it. 

There's not been enough time to have the ship surveyed, so there's really no way for the CEO to know the extent of the damage. It also worries me that the crew and staff have apparently been told to not talk about the event or the extent of the damage. That's the last comment I'll make on here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Is the anytime dining in that dining room? If so, I bet fixed time dinning becomes more popular.

If this had been the Vista or Horizon, it would have taken out the Havana pools and hot tubs.

Whenever we've been on any Conquest class ship, the back dining room was for Early & Late Dining with the center DR for Your Time Dining.

2 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

There's not been enough time to have the ship surveyed, so there's really no way for the CEO to know the extent of the damage. It also worries me that the crew and staff have apparently been told to not talk about the event or the extent of the damage. That's the last comment I'll make on here.

Of all the things to worry about, the fact that the crew have been instructed to not talk about this is not one of them. Of course they should not talk about. Why would Carnival say, hey crew, talk all you want.

Again, it’s possible that when they get back to NO, they find something. But my question would be, how did they not find it all day today? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hoosierpop said:

Of all the things to worry about, the fact that the crew have been instructed to not talk about this is not one of them. Of course they should not talk about. Why would Carnival say, hey crew, talk all you want.

Again, it’s possible that when they get back to NO, they find something. But my question would be, how did they not find it all day today? 

the us coast guard wont be able to investigate until the ship gets back to NO we wont know anything until that happens.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Youngcruiser1994 said:

the us coast guard wont be able to investigate until the ship gets back to NO we wont know anything until that happens.

I would hope that the Carnival people know enough about the seaworthiness of the ship that if the CG says it’s not sailable, they need to fire some Carnival folks. Maybe that will happen. We will know soon enough. 

10 minutes ago, Sean_B said:

It also worries me that the crew and staff have apparently been told to not talk about the event or the extent of the damage. 

Why?  That is commonplace in the business world on any news worthy incident.  Why would you want 1k random employees discussing an incident based primarily on hearsay and facts that are beyond the area of expertise for 99% of them. 

• Like 6