The Carnival Glory struck the Carnival Legend and almost hit the Oasis of the Seas

4 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Ugh really hate to see this! TG it didn't get the Oasis also.

Bad day in Cozumel for lots of people - anyone else notice in the background audio the little kid meltdown with the Mom threatening to have a "collision" with the kids aft about the 2:07 mark lol? 

1 hour ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I would be interested in what was happening on the bridge of the Oasis during this.  Since she was tied up I wouldn't think she'd have a lot of options?  Probably just an officer on watch but what could he/she do when seeing this thing slowly unfold?  Must have felt mighty helpless as the Carnival ship nearly ran Oasis over!

Most definitively. It would have been awesome to happen to be getting a bridge tour during the time of this event. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Funny you say this.  We had a Carnival ship off our port side yesterday before dark.  Through the haze I could see a whale tale.  I think it might have been Glory.  It seemed like it was going to overtake us, it was going faster that us by a small margin at one point.  I was wondering if they were trying to beat us to the pilot station.  

I went to happy hour and forgot about it.  

Wow yet another cruise this year for the Twangster.

Racing to get Pinnacle are ya. You did Ovation and a few others.

Great video and I bet the Captain of Oasis was jusy a bit nervous and probably cussing too. 

Glad Oasis is fine

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Ossis Captain just addressed it in his pre sail away announcement.  Confirmed no contact with Oasis.  

He plans to talk more about it at Captains Corner tomorrow.  That’s going to be packed.  

Thought he said he was going to talk about it on the morning show on channel 14. We had captain’s corner yesterday, did they add another one ?

2 minutes ago, darthvadrouw said:

Thought he said he was going to talk about it on the morning show on channel 14. We had captain’s corner yesterday, did they add another one ?

Could be.  I was in 150 CP and couldn’t hear over a whiny kid at the next table.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Leave us Italians out of this....even though what you said is true.

So, 15 years ago my first driving in Italy experience, we are in Megane estate driving from Rome to our Amalfi Coast villa in Maori.  Two lane road with turn lanes at intersections with stop lights.  We are following our road, stop at light, Saloon BMW or Mercedes pull beside us in the turn lane, and do not turn, but blast thru the light while we are sitting there.  They don’t have the autobahn, but they make do. 

JC

9 hours ago, twangster said:

I understand based on news reports one passenger on the Glory was injured.  Thoughts and prayers for that individual.

Here is the video I shot from my balcony on Oasis.

Despite the collision with the Legend, the bridge crew on the Glory did a pretty spectacular job avoiding a collision with the Oasis.  When I first saw the bow of the Glory come into view it was close.  Too close.  It occured to me a collision was highly possible. 

As I was shooting the video I was keeping an eye on the stern of Glory.  It was getting closer.  I knew they couldn't apply a lot of stern thrust to keep the stern off us without driving the bow into the bow of Oasis.  As the bow of Glory began to clear the bow of Oasis I could see them apply stern thrust to avoid impact.  It was a tight near miss and excellent seamanship on their part to avoid a second collision.  

The wide angle lens is misleading.  The people on Glory were close.  I could have tossed them a bottle of water.  

Nice to see some positive comments about the Carnival crew. Certainly seems like things could have gone bad for Oasis if the Carnival ship did not react quickly and make the right moves. After reading this whole thread I wonder how many posters have actually been in control of a large ship. Seems like a lot of experts on here. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, molsonschooner said:

Nice to see some positive comments about the Carnival crew. Certainly seems like things could have gone bad for Oasis if the Carnival ship did not react quickly and make the right moves. After reading this whole thread I wonder how many posters have actually been in control of a large ship. Seems like a lot of experts on here. 

You can see the bow thrusters going full speed.

27 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

You can see the bow thrusters going full speed.

Indeed, but the stern thrusters were not. 

Had they engaged the stern thrusters it would have pushed the bow into Oasis.  Only once the ships' pivot point was past the Oasis bow were the stern thrusters and rudders set to keep the stern off Oasis.  As expected this did push the bow East but since their bow was clear of Oasis at that point the effect was to curve the ship around Oasis.

Once fully clear of Oasis they had to steer hard to port to keep the ship in deep water.   

They started their turn in an effort to avoid Oasis thinking they would clear Legend and the pier.  They almost did.  Had they waited longer to ensure a larger gap from Legend they very well could have headed straight into Oasis and not have enough space to avoid impacting Oasis.  

If they did graze Oasis they likely would have taken out a number of Oasis lifeboats.  Each holds 370.  If they took out six of our lifeboats it's possible over 2,000 of us would have been flying home from Cozumel and that number wouldn't be boarding next cruise.  

Ideally they never would have been in this predicament in the first place so there is that.  The bridge crew made a choice that allowed them to avoid Oasis.  Avoiding Oasis was not a simple matter, that took a lot of skill. 

Edited by twangster
  • Like 8

13 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

prop and rudder

Apparently they changed the propulsion system 9 years ago to increase efficiency

Carnival Cruise Lines has selected the Rolls-Royce propulsion system Promas Lite, combining propeller and rudder, for their cruise vessel Carnival Glory. Preliminary analysis of speed/power trials measurements indicates an increased propulsive efficiency improvement by 11-13 %.

The selection of the Promas Lite system came as a result of close cooperation between Carnival Cruise Lines and Rolls-Royce Marine Services and after extensive laboratory testing at Rolls-Royce Hydrodynamic Research Centre in Sweden. This resulted in an optimized Promas Lite design tailor made to fit the actual operational profile of the Carnival Glory.

A new twin 5.8 meter Promas Lite propulsion system has been installed during the ships regular dry docking at Grand Bahama Shipyard in February 2010. The new propeller – rudder system replaces the old five bladed mono-block propellers with modern four bladed Rolls-Royce propellers with bolted blades, hub caps and rudder bulbs, optimized to suit the actual operational profile that utilizes lower speeds than the vessel was built for. The new propeller design is optimized for maximum fuel efficiency and emission reduction.

Extensive full-scale testing on Carnival Glory as well as Carnival Freedom has been performed before and after installation of the new Promas Lite propeller system. The preliminary analysis of speed/power trials measurements indicates an increased propulsive efficiency improvement by 11-13 %. The measured improvement is regarded as a success since the fuel consumption and emission is reduced accordingly.

No mention of her thrusters in this article

I dunno if this has been addressed or not so sorry if it has, But the Glory does have Bow and Stern thrusters. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, twangster said:

Every other ship made it in safely.  Oasis reversed in just fine and we have much more side to act as a sail.  

Not to be that person, and of course this depends on a million other factors, but all else being equal, a larger ship like Oasis is actually less prone to wind forces than a smaller ship. It all has to do with the scaling of surface area vs volume.

Imagine two cubes, one 2 ft on each edge, and the other 3 ft on each edge. The smaller cube has a volume of 8 cubic feet and a maximum surface area of 4 square feet exposed to the wind. The larger cube has a volume of 27 cubic feet, but only a maximum of 9 square feet exposed to the wind. Thus the larger cube has much more area to act as a sail, but a proportionally even larger amount of volume. Assuming cubes/ships are of similar density, this means that the larger cube/ship experiences less acceleration due to wind.

10 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, 15 years ago my first driving in Italy experience, we are in Megane estate driving from Rome to our Amalfi Coast villa in Maori.  Two lane road with turn lanes at intersections with stop lights.  We are following our road, stop at light, Saloon BMW or Mercedes pull beside us in the turn lane, and do not turn, but blast thru the light while we are sitting there.  They don’t have the autobahn, but they make do. 

JC

I guess your mistake was stopping at the light and being in his way. 😆 I love the homeland. Governments come and go, laws are suggestions, but the country and culture endure.

4 hours ago, SSMEX said:

Not to be that person, and of course this depends on a million other factors, but all else being equal, a larger ship like Oasis is actually less prone to wind forces than a smaller ship. It all has to do with the scaling of surface area vs volume.

Imagine two cubes, one 2 ft on each edge, and the other 3 ft on each edge. The smaller cube has a volume of 8 cubic feet and a maximum surface area of 4 square feet exposed to the wind. The larger cube has a volume of 27 cubic feet, but only a maximum of 9 square feet exposed to the wind. Thus the larger cube has much more area to act as a sail, but a proportionally even larger amount of volume. Assuming cubes/ships are of similar density, this means that the larger cube/ship experiences less acceleration due to wind.

Wind affects all maritime vessels, no matter the size, period. Perhaps Oasis is less prone, I haven't done the math. It is still the Captains responsibility to fully understand how wind and currents affect his vessel. If he/she can't get that, he/she simply shouldn't be behind the wheel of some of the worlds larges moving vehicles.

• Like 1

We are all enjoying crusing but does this incident bring up the point that we begin to experience a overcrowding at certain ports and due to space reasons the berts are very close together which increases the chance of such incidents going forward? Hence more strict regulations would be needed when it comes to the construction of ports and the maximum amount of ships it should handle at a time, especially if as this one has no shelter and is exposed to winds etc.

21 hours ago, atricks said:

It came very close, but didn't hit the Oasis.   The Main Dining Room looks trashed on the Glory though.

I guess there will be grumbling on the Carnival board about not being seated at the same table with the same staff and same table mates. Auto tip will no doubt suffer for it.