The Carnival Glory struck the Carnival Legend and almost hit the Oasis of the Seas

On 12/21/2019 at 11:01 AM, cruisekap said:

I see lots of comments from. people who know how ships and thrusters etc. work.  I was just wondering who would have control of the ship at the time?  Captain or port pilot?  Who makes the decisions?

It does not matter. The Captain is always PIC (Pilot in Command) no matter who has the controls. He harbors 100% of the responsibility of his ship. At any time, the Captain can take control of his ship from the onboard harbor pilot, and the pilot cannot do a thing about it. Obviously, the Captain must trust the pilot in what he is doing, but if the onboard harbor pilot messes up, it's the Captain's responsibility, except as @harleycaptain mentions above.

15 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Exactly what I said and what the Chief Engineer commented as “100% incorrect“....

Not to take this back to this argument, but notice that Captain Johnny uses the terms "command" and "responsibility", not being "in charge".  As I've said repeatedly, the Captain retains command, and is always responsible for the ship, but other officers or pilots can be "in charge" of the vessel, as the bridge officers are when the Captain is not present on the bridge, or when the Captain gives the conn to the harbor pilot. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I thought someone posted

this, but now I can’t find the post.  What happened with the impacted sailing, and subsequent one?  Was the cruise cut short?

The ship was late leaving Cozumel but did leave that night to head back to New Orleans.  It was supposed to sail from New Orleans last night, but didn't sail until this morning.  They moved their Cozumel stop from Tuesday to Friday.  That is the only change in the itinerary.  The aft dining room was completely shut down last night while it was worked on, so everyone was directed to the mid-ship dining room or the buffet for dinner.  Hopes are they will be able to reopen the aft dining room during the cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DISFANS3 said:

Looks like a lot of damage??

The area where the two ships met on the Glory was windows for the dining room.  Those large expanses of windows are not structural exactly, it's not part of the ship superstructure that is used to support the frame of the vessel.   The floor bent and the glass and window frames were lost but in the big scheme of things it isn't that significant.  Of anywhere for an impact to occur this is probably one of the better outcomes.  Sure it will cost money to fix but it's somewhat superficial.

4 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I thought someone posted

this, but now I can’t find the post.  What happened with the impacted sailing, and subsequent one?  Was the cruise cut short?

they just needed a few extra minutes in Port to change out the Captain and bridge crew 😄 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Does Carnival Legend not have any damage? No one posts any pictures of her bow.

There was a revolving radar type antenna lost, probably for surface scanning.  Not essential to ship operation and a relatively easy job to replace it once parts are on hand.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Does Carnival Legend not have any damage? No one posts any pictures of her bow.

A few dimples in some plating near the bow, nothing that really needs replacement, and will be left to the cruise line's discretion as to whether it is fixed at the next scheduled drydocking.  Most likely a coat of paint and no one will notice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Not to take this back to this argument, but notice that Captain Johnny uses the terms "command" and "responsibility", not being "in charge".  As I've said repeatedly, the Captain retains command, and is always responsible for the ship, but other officers or pilots can be "in charge" of the vessel, as the bridge officers are when the Captain is not present on the bridge, or when the Captain gives the conn to the harbor pilot. 

but wait .. you've said in the past that the pilot NEVER has the conn .... I guess you forgot that?

Edited by Capt_BJ

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

A few dimples in some plating near the bow, nothing that really needs replacement, and will be left to the cruise line's discretion as to whether it is fixed at the next scheduled drydocking.  Most likely a coat of paint and no one will notice.

The radar on the bow of the Legend can be seen falling into the water after being knocked off by the Glory. Does this impose any limitations on the ship?  

2 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

but wait .. you've said in the past that the pilot NEVER has the conn .... I guess you forgot that?

And, again, no, I never said that, I said they cannot handle the controls.  But, because you've sat in "the chair' I guess you must be right.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

We need to get out the meauring tape to settle this.

Meanwhile, perhaps we can all agree that 1) an investigation will be made that 2) takes evidence from people there resulting in 3) decisions about causation and possible areas of responsibility.

Oh, and can we please also agree that no one here knows either exactly what happened or precisely what will be the result of any investigation?

Speculation is worth what you pay for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, wrp96 said:

The ship was late leaving Cozumel but did leave that night to head back to New Orleans.  It was supposed to sail from New Orleans last night, but didn't sail until this morning.  They moved their Cozumel stop from Tuesday to Friday.  That is the only change in the itinerary.  The aft dining room was completely shut down last night while it was worked on, so everyone was directed to the mid-ship dining room or the buffet for dinner.  Hopes are they will be able to reopen the aft dining room during the cruise.

People on board have reported that only the first night dinner was affected.  All dining rooms will be open for the rest of the cruise.

• Like 1