No more straws on board?

VTcruisenut

3 hours ago, OHCruiser said:

I have no problem taking several with me, but I may need to find a new case that will fit in hubby's pocket.

eBay has plain little bags (from China) in khaki

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Portable-Metal-Straw-Bags-Resuable-Straw-Linen-Storage-Bag-Tableware-BagRAS/153713825304?

or black

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1pcs-Stainless-Steel-Straws-Reusable-Metal-With-Silicone-Tips-Clean-Brush/253732644179?

(select 'bag' in the second box, before you select the color, which is black).

Amazon has many options, including a two-pack foil-lined zipper case (black+navy to tell them apart!).

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bags+for+metal+straws&crid=2K2526DRY2JAZ

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OmarOak said:

On Koningsdam, disposable straws, stirrers and cup lids were not initially not available.

One of the shops had small kits with a  collapsable straw and brush in a cute container for sale.

Edited by Floridiana
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I may seem rather dense but why are straws required?  I can understand for disabilities but for others is it just a preference?

Well, if you have ever seen videos of warehouses where containers of beverages are stored, you would understand my angst in drinking directly from a can or bottle, and I also feel that drinking directly from a glass does spread germs.  Am I OCD?  probably, but I drink EVERYTHING thru a straw unless I can personally disinfect the vessel!  

• Like 1

I'm now seriously rethinking my 14 day cruise on HAL this summer if I'm placed in the position of begging for a straw every time I order a beverage, adult or otherwise.  Its plain ridiculous.  I strongly believe that its cost-cutting disguised as an ecological advancement.

If people are so concerned about the environment, you shouldn't be on a cruise ship anyway!!!  Look for the article in the recent Sunday, December 29 edition of the N Y Times about the ecological damage the cruise ships docked (Cunard and Princess) in Red Hook Brooklyn are creating.  And that's just one port.

I was recently on the Celebrity Edge.  No problem getting a paper straw.

Edited by baggal
grammar

I believe it is a responsible decision to ban plastic straws while continuing to work towards an Eco friendly solution for other plastics. I do love to cruise. I know cruise ships damage our Eco structures. So realizing there can be steps to lesson the damage (plastic straws, plastic bottles) I am more open towards the changes. 

BTW, a few months ago we were sitting on the patio of our local Anthony's and saw a Canada goose with a plastic bag halfway down its throat. It was horrible.. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VTcruisenut said:

It has been here in Vermont- and we are a small state, so assuming they are banned in most airports.

I could get them in FLL and Logan this month.  I think San Fran got the most attention.

BTW: on the ship plastic bottles have been replaced with metal cans that do have a screw top.  Still OK for excursions etc.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Himself said:

I recall a few years ago HAL stopped having trays for the people in the Lido.  WE got over it and learned to live without them. I must admit I only use straws When I order an ice cream soda or a root beer float!

Unfortunately, I am still not over that change!   It's really difficult to manuever the line and find a seat with your plate and a beverage balanced.  2 years ago I had a walker/rollater and it was almost impossible for me to do the lido. We usually eat in the main dining room for meals, just because of this.

1 minute ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I could get them in FLL and Logan this month.  I think San Fran got the most attention.

BTW: on the ship plastic bottles have been replaced with metal cans that do have a screw top.  Still OK for excursions etc.

Thank you for this info. When I read water in cans, I was envisioning cans like soda. Do you happen to know how many ounces are in those resealable metal bottles? 

5 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Thank you for this info. When I read water in cans, I was envisioning cans like soda. Do you happen to know how many ounces are in those resealable metal bottles? 

I had the same thought as you when reading about the change.  Was happy to see that they had a cap.  The ones I saw held 16 oz of water.  This was the Veendam.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VTcruisenut said:

Unfortunately, I am still not over that change!   It's really difficult to manuever the line and find a seat with your plate and a beverage balanced.  2 years ago I had a walker/rollater and it was almost impossible for me to do the lido. We usually eat in the main dining room for meals, just because of this.

Ican see where that might be an issue.  I eat breakfast the and I usually make a second trip for a grape fruit and decal coffee.

15 hours ago, iancal said:

IF they are really interested in cutting down on waste they should start with the paper bumph that is delivered to the cabins every day or the junk marketing bumph that comes to our door, or  having cruisers print out reservation data.   Cutting out straws pales in comparison to that.

It might be time for you to book another cruise and see what is really happening.  Just off the NS for 2 weeks in November and we did not get one single flyer for jewelry sale, art sale or any other shop sale.  The paper delivered to the room has decreased tremendously.

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, VTcruisenut said:

I know, in this world of overuse of everything, they ban individual bottles of water from the airports, though soda and juice etc are still sold.  What is the difference between that plastic bottle and the water bottle.  And I get it that we are overrun with plastics, but what about all the take out containers in the world?  Is my straw going to make that much difference?   Is everyone willing to give up their take out containers, their take out coffee cups and all the bottles that they consume annually?  When they do, I will forgo my straw...............just MHO 

It's a choice.  SFO banned individual bottles of water for sale.  They have "fillers" all around the terminals, where you can refill your bottles post-security.  And, you can buy a fillable bottle.  No biggie.  I wish they put these fillers on cruise ships!!!  I've been at a few hotels where they have them, and it's nice to have an easy place to fill up without having to try the bathroom sink.  Water was the easy first step - lots of ways to get the water to the consumer.  Juice and soda are a tad tougher - you have to get the vendors to change.  If there is a box juice vs a plastic/glass juice, I'll pick box.  Those metal "bottles" are already available with beer in places - expect them to expand.   

Take out containers - another choice.  Take your own containers if you want - I haven't been turned down yet.  Visit places that use ecologically-friendly packaging for takeout.  Use styrofoam or non-recyclable material - no thanks.  

Straws - such a trivial change.  As many have posted here, it's not a big deal to carry your own.  

If someone wants to say "what will my little bit do, anyway" and keep on as usual, that's one's choice.   Be aware that some favorite cruise locations are starting single-use plastic products.  Capri comes first.  No plastic shopping bags, no single-use water bottles, etc.  They have a tremendous garbage issue (it has to be shipped off the island) and the tremendous influx of tourists is a big contributor.   I say "good on them" to try to preserve their island.  

Everything evolves.  Sometimes, things "devolve" back to what it was.  Sometimes we find that an "advancement" turns out not to be the best thing.  That is what I believe we are seeing now with plastics an single-use items.  I'm trying my best to do my little part when I can.  To everyone here - are you?  

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, cuccumella said:

Am I the only one who thinks they should provide reusable straws with your drink? I mean come on I don't want to spend my vacation washing straws

You probably are.

Here's a solution.  Walmart sells plastic straws.  Put a small box in your baggage.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1