Silver Cloud #1001 - Ushuaia RT via South Georgia - January 4, 2020

jpalbny

Hanging out on this relaxing sea day. We slept in until 9 this morning, after the sun woke us up at 4.

Finally catching up a bit on sleep. We started this trip utterly exhausted so despite the minimal time change we've felt like zombies these first few days.

Enjoyed the pleasant weather and did some laps on the deck. Weather is good enough that just the parka liners suffice. Ours were sized correctly so no need to exchange. We just have to watch our intake...

20200105_102501.thumb.jpg.1be7eebe332328a73fc494be67c4f1d6.jpg

Chris's hair gives you an idea about the wind speed. Her ponytail is doing a great imitation of a wind sock! But lots of sunshine so it feels great.

20200105_103154.thumb.jpg.febf04faa183fbc57386ddf5c91a923e.jpg

Plenty of birds following us today. They kept us company off the stern of Panorama Lounge while we had our morning coffee.

20200105_100317.thumb.jpg.5df76faf8c954acfc79d62c7f3daed3f.jpg

Another hour or so and we will head over to LT for lunch.

@Stumblefoot, feel better soon! Dinner was great, but we missed you guys last night.

Will have to add a little about our full-day tour in Santiago on the 3rd, and yesterday's events, later on. Too busy relaxing now!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Stumbles, hoping you feel better soon----a cough like that can just wear you out.:classic_sad:

Thanks Lois.  It really can and has.  Between being on the go-go-go since landing in Buenos Aires on New Year’s Eve, catching and managing it, keeping DW and Silver Princess away from it as best I can, and trying very hard not to infect anyone else near me, I’ve been absolutely exhausted.

I’ll make it though.  This too shall pass.

It was another rough night of sleep with coughing fits, but at least I did sleep in between them.  I finally got to sleep around midnight and let me tell you, it took everything I had to get up at 8:00a to prepare for the exchange of my parka and boots.  Very, very glad that I did.  Everything went smoothly.  Ran into RachelG doing the same and let me just say, she looks fantastic every time I see her.  No matter if it’s sitting in coach class yesterday, the Explorer lounge last night, or the boot room this morning, she has fashion down to a T!  KUDOS to her as I shuffled along in my long sleeve t-shirt, sweat pants, and slippers this morning.

DW and I returned to the room to see if Silver Princess had awoken, but she was still sound asleep, so we took off to a late breakfast.  I knew the crowd would be smallest in The Restaurant and easier to avoid bothering fellow passengers with this cough.  Nobody wants to be around anyone with a cough, ESPECIALLY IN A BUFFET VENUE, and I completely agree.  We made it just in time @ 9:25a before the restaurant closed @ 9:30a and the manager did a great job putting us at a table right smack in the middle section away from all the diners in both side sections.  It was perfect and I don’t think I bothered anyone.

After breakfast, we completed the boarding process that was abandoned yesterday evening due to the late boarding.  Then, off we went to the spa to align appointment times so that we weren’t all three scattered throughout the day of our visits. Everything went perfect in both places.

Next, the first presentation was about to begin at 11:00a, so we headed to the Explorer Lounge to listen in.  The young chap giving the presentation was absolutely delightful, especially when you consider the rather dry nature of the subject to me.  Anyway, I was a complete disaster and pretty sure an embarrassment to my DW.  In addition to my darn blasted coughing, I’m taking a medication for a little back injury I suffered right before Christmas.  Anyway, that darn pill just makes me a little dizzy and very drowsy.  And, you know what?  I’ll be damned if I couldn’t  stay awake!  Felt like some old codger in the lounge as I couldn’t keep my head erect when I’d fall asleep.  Thankfully, between DW’s kicks and nudges, along with the cough, the sleeping never lasted more than a few seconds.  I think.  She says I never snored, so thank goodness for that!

Back to the room and immediately dropped into the rollaway bed where I fell to sleep instantaneously.  Awoke shortly after 3:00p to find DW napping and Silver Princess STILL asleep.  I guess I’m not the only one who is tired.  We’re missing the 3:00p presentation right now and don’t know if we’ll make the 5:00p presentation at this point either.

Tonight is the Captain’s reception at 7:00p, so I know The Restaurant will be slammed once it’s finished.  I just hope The Restaurant Manager can keep us at the most isolated table as possible so that I don’t ruin anyone’s dinner.

That’s all for now.  Thank God for sea days!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Did you have waffles for Breakfast Stumblefoot? lol

Hope you're feeling better soon.

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Did you have waffles for Breakfast Stumblefoot? lol

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Waffles were my cue better yet FROZEN like I had on the WIND last April ,I was waiting for him to  feel     better so he can really enjoy them

Better yet I want him and Amy to prepare for our waffle fest on ,board the moon, would care to join us

😋😋

16 minutes ago, etual324 said:

Waffles were my cue better yet FROZEN like I had on the WIND last April ,I was waiting for him to  feel     better so he can really enjoy them

Better yet I want him and Amy to prepare for our waffle fest on ,board the moon, would care to join us

😋😋

Yes i know..... I was on the next table in La Tarrazza for wafflegate. lol

Alas, i will be late for that party. I board when you disembark in Fort Lauderdale on Nov 23. By that time I'm sure you will have them trained on how to mix fresh. 🙂

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

It was another rough night of sleep with coughing fits, but at least I did sleep in between them.  I finally got to sleep around midnight and let me tell you, it took everything I had to get up at 8:00a to prepare for the exchange of my parka and boots.  Very, very glad that I did.  Everything went smoothly.  Ran into RachelG doing the same and let me just say, she looks fantastic every time I see her.  No matter if it’s sitting in coach class yesterday, the Explorer lounge last night, or the boot room this morning, she has fashion down to a T!  KUDOS to her as I shuffled along in my long sleeve t-shirt, sweat pants, and slippers this morning.

DW and I returned to the room to see if Silver Princess had awoken, but she was still sound asleep, so we took off to a late breakfast.  I knew the crowd would be smallest in The Restaurant and easier to avoid bothering fellow passengers with this cough.  Nobody wants to be around anyone with a cough, ESPECIALLY IN A BUFFET VENUE, and I completely agree.  We made it just in time @ 9:25a before the restaurant closed @ 9:30a and the manager did a great job putting us at a table right smack in the middle section away from all the diners in both side sections.  It was perfect and I don’t think I bothered anyone.

After breakfast, we completed the boarding process that was abandoned yesterday evening due to the late boarding.  Then, off we went to the spa to align appointment times so that we weren’t all three scattered throughout the day of our visits. Everything went perfect in both places.

Next, the first presentation was about to begin at 11:00a, so we headed to the Explorer Lounge to listen in.  The young chap giving the presentation was absolutely delightful, especially when you consider the rather dry nature of the subject to me.  Anyway, I was a complete disaster and pretty sure an embarrassment to my DW.  In addition to my darn blasted coughing, I’m taking a medication for a little back injury I suffered right before Christmas.  Anyway, that darn pill just makes me a little dizzy and very drowsy.  And, you know what?  I’ll be damned if I couldn’t  stay awake!  Felt like some old codger in the lounge as I couldn’t keep my head erect when I’d fall asleep.  Thankfully, between DW’s kicks and nudges, along with the cough, the sleeping never lasted more than a few seconds.  I think.  She says I never snored, so thank goodness for that!

Back to the room and immediately dropped into the rollaway bed where I fell to sleep instantaneously.  Awoke shortly after 3:00p to find DW napping and Silver Princess STILL asleep.  I guess I’m not the only one who is tired.  We’re missing the 3:00p presentation right now and don’t know if we’ll make the 5:00p presentation at this point either.

Tonight is the Captain’s reception at 7:00p, so I know The Restaurant will be slammed once it’s finished.  I just hope The Restaurant Manager can keep us at the most isolated table as possible so that I don’t ruin anyone’s dinner.

That’s all for now.  Thank God for sea days!!!

Stumble ask JP about postural drainage.

What are your lungs sounding like?

There are friends who can provide a consult. Good grief ask for assistance.

Nothing is crappier than being sick on a cruise.

January 5, 2020-at sea—enroute to South Georgia Island

We had a very good sleep with smooth seas all night.  I was up early as even with the blackout curtains, it really doesn’t get totally dark this far south at this time of year, and at 5 am, it was already bright daylight.  

I went upstairs for my morning tea and did a little work online.  Internet thus far is pretty quick.  The morning was bright and sunny with a few scattered clouds and temps in the high 40s, mild wind.

After yoga class, we straightened out the coat issue and had boots tagged with our room numbers.  I ran into Stumblefoot doing the same.  He hasn’t coughed in my direction yet.

George went for a massage while I took advantage of the good weather to get my steps for an hour up on the top deck.  Lots of others had the same idea, including JP and Chris.  We were being accompanied by a large flock of birds flying alongside the ship to take advantage of whatever was turned up.

Lunch in La Terraza was good.  George and I loaded up on salad from the salad bar, then he had some really nice pasta with pesto while I had one piece of perfect margarita pizza.  The pizza on this ship is so good, with a nice thin and crisp crust, that I have to ration myself.  Francisco, one of our favorite waiters, keep our iced tea glasses full with fresh brewed iced tea.  

Captain for this voyage is Mino Pontillo. We have sailed with him a couple of times previously.  Hotel director is Petros Zarpanely, who we also know.  Expedition leader is an Aussie, Bradley Wayne Siviour.  He is new to us but seems very energetic.

We had an afternoon of doing a lot of nothing.  I finished reading a book, then went to trivia which our team won in a three way tie.  Then went to exercise again.

Tonight was the captain’s welcome, but George hates those sort of things.  We had dinner with friends in the MDR.  George pronounced his steak as excellent, which is high praise.  I had the open face squash ravioli, which was a totally different preparation than I have had in the past, but delicious.

• Like 2

Rachel, glad to hear that Brad is your expedition leader; he is fantastic!  Is Peter onboard as Historian?  I am sure the Shackelton lectures have begun and Peter is the best at them. 

Have fun!

Marc

16 hours ago, les37b said:

Did you have waffles for Breakfast Stumblefoot?

Not yet, Les, but hope to soon.  That is so nice of you to remember good ol’ etual’s waffle experience.  😆😆😆

Kept it nice and light yesterday morning with decaffeinated herbal lemon tea with honey, grilled peaches with honey, fresh blueberries and strawberries, and a toasted English Muffin.

14 hours ago, etual324 said:

Better yet I want him and Amy to prepare for our waffle fest on board the moon...

That sounds great, Gene!  I’m thinking we should request the chef’s table to watch their entire preparation!  😊

11 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

There are friends who can provide a consult. Good grief ask for assistance.

Nothing is crappier than being sick on a cruise.

Lungs are good, Spins.  And, the docs are on top of the situation.  As they both know, a cough caused by a virus just has to run it’s course.  And, it will, in due time.

Thursday, January 3rd. Outside Santiago. 

So despite the time change, we were up by 6:00 and ready for breakfast at 7:00. The hotel buffet was empty and service was good. And a nice view from our outdoor table. This is a pretty hotel.

20200103_071508.thumb.jpg.ec55fa7285970ff4854b46ddc19efe20.jpg

Then we got ready for our full day of touring. 

Jeanette met us at the hotel with William and Luisa, and we were off around 8:00. Slow going through the city, but we were at our destination near the Cascades de las Animes in plenty of time. We got orientation for the horse ride, then proceeded across the Maipo River to the stables. Nice views already! 

20200103_104825.thumb.jpg.e0b5ce09cdb629dc76ac363bf8b43656.jpg

Once over the river, we saddled up and started climbing. My horse had only one speed going uphill so he held up the line a bit. Nice views, but a challenging trail. There was an annoying group of 3 with us who would not stop talking to themselves, so the tranquility was a bit spoiled, but still pretty. 

20200103_115456.thumb.jpg.eee8866bf9d7fb060b5cc0351e9f78f8.jpg

We did a photo stop at a scenic viewpoint. Our guide took some photos for us.

20200103_112624.thumb.jpg.c5ed5e35369827f397b9552ab0892aec.jpg

20200103_113314.thumb.jpg.87fcd8fe029e4d44dca81d4741ee58c6.jpg

Then the descent, which was challenging! Lots of sheer drops, steep hills, and vertigo.

03Jan-07.jpg.7488dab998ed30aba2e1d072f05b2ac0.jpg

03Jan-06.jpg.43db5855200fe56978cb052d01622750.jpg

The horses took it slow and all was well. A bit nerve-wracking, though. Only a few opportunities to take silly selfies. The rest of the time was serious riding.

20200103_123745.thumb.jpg.32f29045bd600589f90ac8230bf3b094.jpg

But we made it! Here, Chris and Jeanette are all smiles, on the bridge over the river.

20200103_125102.thumb.jpg.d8940297a7018646fb151eaa67d86119.jpg

We were rewarded with a nice picnic lunch, and some Carmenère that Jeanette had picked out. After that it was time to nap a bit while we went to another viewpoint.

Then back home, with a stop for ice cream, at a beautiful shop made of wood that was "harvested" from the river. Tree cutting is prohibited here, apparently. What a nice setting, though.

20200103_152222.thumb.jpg.800ab9924c22db945728bed79e87c610.jpg

We made another stop to see a neat hotel along the way. Similar construction, an amazing place.

03Jan-11.jpg.6334b74cae82458b4942a616010db29b.jpg

Again there were a few delays with traffic. But we were home in time for a shower and change before the briefing. And we revisited the SS desk to pick up our boarding passes too.

We reunited with our group at the briefing and toasted our good fortune to be almost back on board Silver Cloud. We met up with Rachel and met some other CC folks too. Then we had to run to the mall for an ATM so we could pay for the two days of touring. I hadn't quite withdrawn enough during my previous visit. Oops...

We closed the evening with a nice light dinner with Joan and Stuart at the Italian restaurant at our hotel. Chris had lasagne, and I had risotto. Plenty of time to gorge ourselves starting tomorrow!

Back to the room, where we packed up and put the checked bags out. We will not see them again until Ushuaia, we hope!

• Like 5

January 4th. Santiago to Ushuaia. 

Others have summarized the day well, and I have little tonadd to their descriptions and photos.

We went to breakfast at 6:45 and it was a total scrum. We waited a minute or two at most for a hostess to seat us. An angry mob gathered behind us, cursing profanely the indignity of waiting for a table. We felt a little uncomfortable. 

We were shown to a table with only one place setting. We managed to grab some food and share the utensils. No coffee was offered. Oh well, clearly the hotel venue wasn't really able to cope with 200 Silversea cruisers who needed to eat immediately. We will be ok, though. 

We checked out, paid the bill, and hopped on our 7:45 bus. We left on time and were at the airport a little after 8. No traffic at all.

Immediately to passport control, then security. Both done in less than 15 minutes. A long walk to the gate as Rachel has said, about 15 minutes. I found a coffee shop and all was well.

We boarded our steerage-class seat in row 36 and finally got to meet Stumblefoot and family, who were stuck in our row as well.

Nice flight with beautiful views of the mountains and lakes as we straddled the Andes range between Chile and Argentina. Some examples of the volcanic peaks. I haven't looked up their names yet.

04Jan-1.jpg.89e35516204ba10f389924bec23e61fb.jpg

Each was uniquely photogenic. Twin peaks.

04Jan-2.jpg.962c2ea19fdcd5442591778f3aa026ba.jpg

Gorgeous crater!

04Jan-3.jpg.ebea22667da516c2d41c808fe9c29a27.jpg

So geometric. A perfect cone.

04Jan-4.jpg.c804c79213bf58925d1aa64f8f2c4f39.jpg

I think this was Lago Argentina. 

04Jan-5.jpg.fe036815c4488779b69b08f3bfc37595.jpg

More mountains and a few small lakes. Gorgeous rugged terrain. It was cloudy over the area we had visited last January, so no view of Torres del Paine from the plane.

04Jan-6.jpg.5fcc6259b46e39230540106d71e62620.jpg

We approached Ushuaia and flew eastward, over the Beagle Channel. Chile was outside my window. Next stop, Antarctica! 

04Jan-7.jpg.39a1a984f4c55d051548f97d0f966397.jpg

We turned 180 degrees to approach the airport in a westerly direction. The famous mountain backdrop of Ushuaia was recognizable. 

04Jan-8.jpg.31dfa08d7c59cd26f65ab5ace6a0f351.jpg

So we landed early, touching down at 1:22. It took just about an hour to clear immigration, collect bags, walk through customs, and get on the bus. 

We were definitely not very excited about the meal at the place they took us, and wish we could have gone directly to the ship. We were on the last bus, and the waits were very long everywhere.

Oh well, we finally got on the ship about 5:45 then had to rush for the muster drill, then unpack and get ready for dinner. So we missed all of the sailaway as a result. 

Great dinner in LT with Rachel and George. It was fun to catch up with them since our last cruise in August. My osso bucco was indeed delicious. The day of mediocre food was quickly forgotten. Much Vermentino and Chiati were shared.

After some water and a few dances in the bar, we were off to bed. A few sea days to catch up on our sleep will be very nice!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Not yet, Les, but hope to soon.  That is so nice of you to remember good ol’ etual’s waffle experience.  😆😆😆

Kept it nice and light yesterday morning with decaffeinated herbal lemon tea with honey, grilled peaches with honey, fresh blueberries and strawberries, and a toasted English Muffin.

That sounds great, Gene!  I’m thinking we should request the chef’s table to watch their entire preparation!  😊

Lungs are good, Spins.  And, the docs are on top of the situation.  As they both know, a cough caused by a virus just has to run it’s course.  And, it will, in due time.

Okay being there are 4 of us we will need 4 toasters so we can all eat at the same time  🙄 

• Haha 3

Thanks to all of you for your continued reports. We are booked on the Silver Wind going to Antarctica in December, its second cruise, and your posts will help us know what to expect. But unfortunately our itinerary does not include South Georgia. There was only one cruise that did this, and the price was much higher than ours.

FYI, we just missed you all last summer. We were on the Cloud from Amsterdam to Dublin.

• Like 1