Book directly with Celebrity or use travel agent?

drew899

I am looking for opinions. We are about to book an Alaska cruise on Celebrity for this spring. We have sailed on Princess a few times in the past few years but are switching to Celebrity because of its no indoor smoking policy. So, we are new to Celebrity but not entirely new to cruises. I am looking for opinions on the best way to book. Travel agent or directly with Celebrity online or something else. Thank you in advance.

The old TA vs Direct thread! 🙂

We have always booked directly with Celebrity and usually book a year or two ahead while on a cruise. Then we watch the prices fluctuate wildly for the next year! When it goes down (and it will) we call directly and discuss with the Celebrity representative. We have always been pleased with the interactions with the customer service folks. We also watch for extra perks and call when that happens.

The argument will be that the TA will get you extra OBC or whatever (a big box warehouse place will give cash cards), but the problem will be that once tied into a TA, you can't contact Celebrity directly. This played into a scenario for a friend not long ago where a sale was announced and the friend couldn't get their TA to call in time. 

Our experience has been that we have saved money (sometimes in cash, sometimes in perks) by dealing directly. I know that to be the case as I have looked for the same sailings using a TA, but not got the same pricing and/or benefits. However, you do need to your own footwork.

Whichever way you choose, enjoy the Celebrity experience! 🙂 

• Like 1

Like above poster it’s preference.  The TA’s I deal with are very responsive.  I had booked a cruise this year with one who had a great rate/group rate pricing but cxled with hem because they were had to reach. I ended up booking with another ta who had similar rates and find them they are very responsive along with great rates.  Does take some searching tho at times.  I use to book only with celebrity but now able to find better rates  thru ta’s.  

There really are dozens of threads with this same theme.

There is absolutely no way we would ever book direct with Celebrity  or any cruise company.  With the exception of OBCs available when booking onboard (which you can then switch to a TA and get more OBC) anything that Celebrity can offer a TA can offer.  

With our savings by booking group pricing (not available from the cruise line) as well as additional OBCs, we literally have fully paid for several cruises with the money we've saved.

Have no desire to be in control of my booking.  Our TA handles that with expertise and since she works on her own under a large TAs umbrella, I have contacted her at 5:30 AM and have had a response before 6:00 AM. 

• Like 3

There are many, many threads on this topic, all of which have their share of proponents for booking directly, booking with a TA, and booking directly and transferring the booking to a TA. I've done all three over the years but now almost exclusively book with a TA because of the roughly 10% I get back in OBC or other perks.

5 minutes ago, RealBatman said:

The argument will be that the TA will get you extra OBC or whatever (a big box warehouse place will give cash cards), but the problem will be that once tied into a TA, you can't contact Celebrity directly. This played into a scenario for a friend not long ago where a sale was announced and the friend couldn't get their TA to call in time. 

This type of negative thinking about using a TA overlooks two main issues: a good TA is not going to be offline for the duration of any sale offered by a cruise line, and even if I missed out one time on a sale, the perks I get cruise after cruise after cruise more than outweigh that potential loss.

In any event, OP, consider the options and go with what makes you comfortable. If you've used a TA for your past cruises and have been happy with their services, there's no need to change just because you are trying a new cruise line.   

I have found that a combination of above has worked best for me.  I search for the cruise I want and watch for price drops and phone into cruise company and have it adjusted as often as necessary.  As I get closer to final payment, I will hand it over to a reputable TA that will give me the best OBC.  This seems to have provided me with the lowest fare (by TA giving me straight up credit) and lots of OBC.  Good luck.

:)Pam

Edited by Dr. Pam
missing info

11 minutes ago, Dr. Pam said:

I have found that a combination of above has worked best for me.  I search for the cruise I want and watch for price drops and phone into cruise company and have it adjusted as often as necessary.  As I get closer to final payment, I will hand it over to a reputable TA that will give me the best OBC.  This seems to have provided me with the lowest fare (by TA giving me straight up credit) and lots of OBC.  Good luck.

:)Pam

But don't you only have 60 days after booking with the cruise line to switch to a TA?  We book far too far out for that to work for us.

I don't know about other lines but Celebrity limits transfers to a TA to 60 days from the date of the original booking.

I'm in the camp where I usually book directly with Celebrity (generally onboard).  This way I can make sure the booking is exactly what I want.   Then transfer to my TA.   This also gives the ability to shop the reservation with multiple TAs to see who might get you the best deal.   Remember that some TAs charge change or cancellation fees.

I have tried a couple of TAs and have ended up with one in Florida who is quite responsive but also works with a large agency with good hours 7 days a week.  If I can't reach my agent with something time sensitive I can call the 800 number and someone will take care of it and my agent follows up when he returns. 

ECCruise....I think you may be right.  ☺️  This last cruise we reserved was a bit more "last minute" than how I usually book.  There were some tremendous price drops on suites right up to final payment and we were even able to upgrade from a CS to a RS after final for a very low amount.  

I always use a TA but I am partial to them as I used to work in that industry. My travel agent is my former coworker and he is excellent, I wouldn’t think of booking direct. He has a lot of experience cruising and knows the ins and outs of the industry. On every cruise I book with I get whatever rate the cruise line offers (as well as any OBCs they are offering) plus onboard credit or free gratuities or sometimes both from the travel agent’s office. There are times he has group space on some cruises which makes the cruise price less than booking direct with the cruise line. He also monitors prices and gets me price drops IF they apply to me. Last year he booked an Azamara sailing for me. Price went down after final by a lot and I wasn’t entitled to the price drop. He was able to negotiate a nice upgrade for me. 

The one time I did book direct, I ended up having issues with two incompetent cruise line agents though to be fair that was through Princess not Celebrity. 

It really is is a personal preference. I’m the type of person that I book my cruise and I am done. I have no need to keep calling the cruise line and have control over my booking. For my needs there isn’t anything to control, my agent tracks prices for any promos I’m qualified for and I’m set.

47 minutes ago, RealBatman said:

The old TA vs Direct thread! 🙂

We have always booked directly with Celebrity and usually book a year or two ahead while on a cruise. Then we watch the prices fluctuate wildly for the next year! When it goes down (and it will) we call directly ....

It will go down except when it doesn't...  My cruises booked for this Feb have more than doubled in cost since I booked well over a year ago.

• Like 1

I usually book directly with Celebrity, and then transfer to my TA within 60 days. I do this both because I care about stateroom location, and I don’t feel like playing phone or email tag when I’m ready to book. That said, I would definitely book directly with my TA for other lines, because she is far more familiar with them than I.

Edited by Silkroad

If you are comfortable doing it and find a deal that makes sense to you, book on board and then find additional benefits from a TA later. That is our plan next week on the Reflection. If we don't find anything to pull the trigger on, so be it.

In a way it is like booking excursions. Some like to stick with the comfort of booking with the cruise line and others like to book on their own.

It's all good.

Our TA rebates about 10% of the cruise fare back to us in the form of a check which we receive about 10 days prior to sailing. In effect we would be paying a 10% surcharge to book and keep our booking directly with the cruise line. That makes no sense. Plus, our TA is very responsive and helpful.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 11:08 AM, drew899 said:

I am looking for opinions. We are about to book an Alaska cruise on Celebrity for this spring. We have sailed on Princess a few times in the past few years but are switching to Celebrity because of its no indoor smoking policy. So, we are new to Celebrity but not entirely new to cruises. I am looking for opinions on the best way to book. Travel agent or directly with Celebrity online or something else. Thank you in advance.

We have done it both ways and for us, we like our TA, thus absent some intervening event, we use a TA.  

12 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Not all Travel Agents allow you to participate in the Move Up program.  Otherwise I have enjoyed OBC and Cash Back from the big box TA.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/bid-on-cruise-room-upgrade/celebrity-moveup-terms

You don't have to go through your travel agent to participate in the Move Up program, just go to celebritycruises.com and follow the instructions. I've done it twice, but wasn't successful, as their minimum bid was more than I could have booked the cabin initially.

11 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

You don't have to go through your travel agent to participate in the Move Up program, just go to celebritycruises.com and follow the instructions. I've done it twice, but wasn't successful, as their minimum bid was more than I could have booked the cabin initially.

Hi Grandgeezer,

I thought the same thing...  When I logged into Celebrity's site, nothing would happen. I sent Celebrity and email with my TA's name and Celebrity confirmed in writing that the TA "opted out" of the Move Up program.  I then called the TA who also confirmed I could not use the move up program.  Yea, I was pretty disappointed.

43 minutes ago, Sam.Seattle said:

Hi Grandgeezer,

I thought the same thing...  When I logged into Celebrity's site, nothing would happen. I sent Celebrity and email with my TA's name and Celebrity confirmed in writing that the TA "opted out" of the Move Up program.  I then called the TA who also confirmed I could not use the move up program.  Yea, I was pretty disappointed.

I learned something new. Too bad.