Ocean Blue: Premium sides +$2 surcharge to the dining package

fstuff1

5 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

i dined at ocean blue last night on breakaway.

i was told by the waiter that premium sides are +$2 over the dining package. 😞

You're lucky. 

On the Encore, we were told that premium sides were not included (at all) in the dining package and if we chose them, they would be charge a la carte. That being said, there is absolutely nothing on the premium list that we would take, so we did not "test the system" like we do in other cases. 

• Like 1

That's not even printed on the menu, like the upcharges for the other items. 

So it's not consistent with the dining package Terms & Conditions, and it's not written on the menu. 

Nothing says classy like a $2 upcharge for some asparagus. So tacky and gross. 

Edited by PortFees45
  • Like 7

Upcharge isn't marked in the menu so personally won't pay it for premium sides. If they try to charge me then will have to talk a manager. Once again they have their own procedure on the ship which isn't following any T&C.

• Like 3

Can you imagine not having the dining package?  Who would pay $7 for steamed asparagus?  That is something you would think would be a side in the MDR for free.

That's what irks me.  Something with real seafood or fresh vegetables are considered gold and should be the standard.

• Like 7

So what all specialty restaurants have upcharge premium items beyond SDP now? What I've seen so far looks like just Cagney's and Ocean Blue, correct? 

Honestly, I think the nickel and dime rants are BS for the most part but I do feel that this is really tacky on NCL's part. 

• Like 1

Couldn't care less about those extra charges on Premium sides. Most of them are worthless as far as I'm concerned.  I do like Brussels sprouts but I roast them and add a nice sause, Mushroom risotto... not worth the calories.  IMO, it's just another thing to complain about.  

Is it tacky of NCL? Yes, I agree that it is, but I can do without any of this stuff. 

I ordered the lobster mac and cheese as well as the Brussels sprouts on the Encore in December, and there was an additional charge of four dollars and some change... What the heck, it's vacation!... The lobster mac and cheese ended up having one piece of lobster in it, and it was so tough that I chewed it for a minute and ended up spitting it out.

My daughter thinks there is an upcharge of 14.95 at Ocean Blue just for dining there using the dining plan. We plan to dine at Ocean Blue on the Getaway next month and I would really like to know about that upcharge. Either way, we will still dine there because it's vacation so I'm not careful at all about spending money and counting calories. All that changes as soon as I get back home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunsetsoon said:

My daughter thinks there is an upcharge of 14.95 at Ocean Blue just for dining there using the dining plan. We plan to dine at Ocean Blue on the Getaway next month and I would really like to know about that upcharge. Either way, we will still dine there because it's vacation so I'm not careful at all about spending money and counting calories. All that changes as soon as I get back home.

No upcharge before dining.  There is upcharges if you order Lobster, Surf & Turf, Tiger Shrimp, and Crab Cake.  Maybe premium sides now but it looks like its different from ship to ship if they are charging.  

Edited by Liljo22

We can go out to one of our local steakhouse chains, i.e. Outback for a better dinner here in NYC - and guess what, they charge less for their a la carte sides, in fairly generous portions, I should add ... not a scoop's worth like on the ship.  True, our favorite locally owned, upscale steakhouse, Bryant & Copper in Roslyn, NY (better than Peter Luger's) charges more & costing more - but it is most definitely worth the 45 minutes trip after booking it, for that special occassion.   

It is sad, however, wondering how some of the waiters/esses try to go above & beyond to wow the ship passengers with an exceptional dining experience, while they are expected to follow guidelines and enforcing these rolling changes on the go - set forth by corporate / management.  The increases are getting into "their" pockets & paychecks, of course :classic_rolleyes: :classic_tongue: :classic_ohmy: ... just about everyone is getting their cuts, somehow - plus the 20% extras. 

But, it is a business and their business (there ya go, covering the advocates and the pro's) 

Edited by mking8288

The next time i went to Ocean Blue I had the Hong Kong Snapper, which did not come with any sides. (it comes with it's own veggies, which were tasty.)

i asked the waiter if i could have a side of broccoli and he said no problem.

it was listed on my bill but the final cost for the entire meal was $0.00

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 9:30 PM, fstuff1 said:

i dined at ocean blue last night on breakaway.

i was told by the waiter that premium sides are +$2 over the dining package. 😞

IMG_20200111_174058549[1].jpg

Did you actually try it, and if so were you charged?

My suspicion is that this is another one of those random things which waiters are saying, which don't actually exist in reality.

• Like 2