Veteran Cruisers: What Is Your Favorite?

Rode Warrior

3 minutes ago, Rode Warrior said:

Thanks for your reply. I have been on one cruise, too Alaska. We loved it and are cruising to Bahamas this year. We are planing where to go next year. Tell me about the Horn of South America! What cruise line, ports and how long? Did you see the southern cross?

We did the cruise around the Horn in January 2016 on Celebrity Infinity.   I think an S class is now doing that cruise.  Plan on spending a few days in Buenos Aires prior to the cruise.  The cruise is 14 days.   We did see the Southern Cross.  We have been to the Southern Hemisphere five times, three times South America and twice Australia/NZ.

We did a great transpacific cruise from Sydney to Seattle for 22 nights and while close to the Equator, you can actually see the North Star and the Southern Cross.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Rode Warrior said:

We are planing where to go next year. Tell me about the Horn of South America! What cruise line, ports and how long? Did you see the southern cross?

I’m sure South America will be considerably longer than a week, which is what you asked for in your initial post.

We've only done a couple 7 day cruises, but to choose one or two:  First choice Bermuda.   Second choice: Alaska.

Although even a 7 day sailing would be limiting because we would need to to time before, after or both (e.g. Vancouver).

21 hours ago, George C said:

We are doing a celebrity charter on infinity next month, adults only , entertainment is always great on rock and romance cruises, this year entertainment is

America

Jefferson starship

Rita Coolidge 

Steven Bishop

Todd Rundgren 

Cheap Trick

and many others. 

How do you find out about this?  That would be a blast!!

7 minutes ago, MamaChach said:

How do you find out about this?  That would be a blast!!

we have been doing this for 3 years, not cheap but great entertainment here is full lineup 

got a email a few years ago from America , same company offers 50's cruise also 60's, 80's soul, disco and country 

https://rockandromancecruise.com/booked-guests/schedule2/

• Like 1

Our  first cruise was 7 days to Alaska on the Summit. It was wonderful. It left us wanting to return to do the land tour. We left from Vancouver, but didn't have an opportunity to see anything of city, Another reason to go back to Alaska. We did return and it was worth the money and the time, but we did land tours. 

Best 7 day cruise is in Hawaii on the NCL Pride of America.  The ship/cruise line isn't all that great but you don't spend much time on board. It starts and ends in Honolulu so no long voyage to get there.  We've done it twice (10 years apart).  Spectacular cruise.

25 minutes ago, pattyj 1204 said:

Our  first cruise was 7 days to Alaska on the Summit. It was wonderful. It left us wanting to return to do the land tour. We left from Vancouver, but didn't have an opportunity to see anything of city, Another reason to go back to Alaska. We did return and it was worth the money and the time, but we did land tours. 

We spent a week in Vancouver and loved it.  Lots to see there.  Also, we did a four day bus tour of the Canadian Rockies from Vancouver with a firm called Key West.  Originally we were going to do the train (Rocky Mountaineer), but the train was over $2000 per person.  The bus tour was great and we saw more than what we would have seen on the train tour.  The bus tour was 1/3 of the cost of the train.

The land portion on our 2nd Alaskan cruise was pre cruise Canadian Rockies. We stayed at some very expensive hotels, but the scenery was simply beyond anything I ever dreamed of. It was some train and some bus. I was awestruck by how big the mountains were. In Wisconsin we don't have anything that big anywhere around us. If anyone is thinking about going to the Rockies, I would encourage you to plan the trip and go. 

Alaska Cruise

Alaska Land Tour

Southern Carribean Cruise from Puerto Rico to ABCs

Bermuda Cruise

Boston to Montreal Cruise.

I would say Eastern, Western Mediterranean, and New Zealand but a 7 day cruise sounds like you don't have 3 days for travel?  For these destinations you would typically spend a full day each way travelling and the first night in a hotel precruise getting over jet lag and time differences.  If so I would put these destinations right after Alaska.  Many choose longer cruises in these destinations due to the lengthy travel of getting over there and back.

Edited by NMTraveller

On 1/14/2020 at 6:26 PM, George C said:

We are doing a celebrity charter on infinity next month, adults only , entertainment is always great on rock and romance cruises, this year entertainment is

America

Jefferson starship

Rita Coolidge 

Steven Bishop

Todd Rundgren 

Cheap Trick

and many others. 

Did not know they did this???  How does one find out about charters?

On 1/14/2020 at 8:05 PM, cruiser61262 said:

Can't go wrong with either Alaska cruise or any cruise to the ABC islands.  Alaska for the scenery but that being said I would not go that far without doing the land tour up to Denali National Park.  The ABC cruise is my favorite Caribbean cruise.  Love those islands.  The seven day cruise to Bermuda was always a great 7 day get away but now that Celebrity stops in Newport it is a no go for us because we live in Connecticut and go there all the time by car.

im very interested in reports of the land tour parts. ive always thought it would be crazy to get up there and not go on a land tour.  but then i found a 14 day out of LA up to alaska and a bargain price . read thru some princess itineraries at their lodge etc and it seems well thought out and while it's expensive, seems worth it.

On 1/14/2020 at 8:05 PM, cruiser61262 said:

Can't go wrong with either Alaska cruise or any cruise to the ABC islands.  Alaska for the scenery but that being said I would not go that far without doing the land tour up to Denali National Park.  The ABC cruise is my favorite Caribbean cruise.  Love those islands.  The seven day cruise to Bermuda was always a great 7 day get away but now that Celebrity stops in Newport it is a no go for us because we live in Connecticut and go there all the time by car.

Newport replaces what would have been a sea day.  You can choose to make it a "sea day" on a less crowded ship.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:59 AM, davy jones said:

Newport replaces what would have been a sea day.  You can choose to make it a "sea day" on a less crowded ship.

True, but would prefer an actual sea day.  The question is what time do they get to Bermuda the next day? Newport is great if you have never been there.  We go all the time to bar and pub crawl.  That being said, it definitely made the Bermuda cruise something that no longer interests us