Lobster and Beef Wellington in MDR

slanik

We are sailing on the Summit next month - 2/15.  I was checking out the menus on the Celebrity phone app.  I don't see lobster on any of the nights at the MDR.  Has anyone sailed recently on the Summit to know if Lobster tail is still served in the MDR?  It used to be on the last Chic Evening.  Thank you.

5 minutes ago, slanik said:

We are sailing on the Summit next month - 2/15.  I was checking out the menus on the Celebrity phone app.  I don't see lobster on any of the nights at the MDR.  Has anyone sailed recently on the Summit to know if Lobster tail is still served in the MDR?  It used to be on the last Chic Evening.  Thank you.

We were on the Summit September 2019. Lobster and beef wellington were both on the MDR menu. 

Edited by davekathy

The app isn't updated for your cruise until about a week before your cruise .     I was just checking current cruise and they have Beef Wellington on Day 10  Prime Rib Day 11   and "Celebrity Signature" Beef Tournedos on Day 2.    Didn't see lobster.

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The app isn't updated for your cruise until about a week before your cruise .     I was just checking current cruise and they have Beef Wellington on Day 10  Prime Rib Day 11   and "Celebrity Signature" Beef Tournedos on Day 2.    Didn't see lobster.

This just goes to show you that I am behind the times, they provide the menus in advance in the app?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slanik said:

Look at Last evening Chic night menu in your app

D59961FC-AF27-4045-9512-9C68F305591E.png

Edited by gerelmx

10 hours ago, slanik said:

What kind of lobster?    Cold water or warm water lobster?  How large is the lobster?  Quality?

Thanks.

Edited by Justalone

16 hours ago, Justalone said:

What kind of lobster?    Cold water or warm water lobster?  How large is the lobster?  Quality?

Thanks.

Pretty sure they are warm water.  I can't remember what menu, but I did see where they specifically said warm water.  I can't imagine us getting lucky enough for cold water.  That would cost Celebrity some serious bucks.  🙂 

16 hours ago, Justalone said:

Thanks.

I've never found the lobster served on mainstream cruise lines to be very good.  The tails are not very large and they are frequently overcooked.  I now skip the lobster.  That said, there are many here who really enjoy lobster night, so it's really an individual thing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stah1mr said:

Pretty sure they are warm water.  I can't remember what menu, but I did see where they specifically said warm water.  I can't imagine us getting lucky enough for cold water.  That would cost Celebrity some serious bucks.  🙂 

Never had a really good lobster on X.  Including Murano.  Don't order it anymore.

39 minutes ago, stah1mr said:

I've had both Caribbean and east coast lobster on my last 2 cruises it all depends where its sourced from time of year and price they pay. Caribbean lobster tails are small and shell is a different colour.  Recently on equinox it was warm water,  so small a tail I thought it was a piece of shrimp.

34 minutes ago, Mr&MrsBee said:

Never had a really good lobster on X.  Including Murano.  Don't order it anymore.

I actually asked the waiter to find out where the lobster was sourced from and he said Maine so I ordered 2. They were excellent. That was on the Silly in March 2019.  In October on Equinox who knows where they were from but was tasteless and rubbery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 9:55 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Is this every ship in the X line that you can get the menus in advance?  I like the surprise of going to the dinning rooming after lunch and reading the menus to see what that nights meal is going to be.... but I can see the benefit of pre-reading them, so that you plan nights to alternate restaurants or staying shore ect.....

So,  you order a lobster tail with the beef wellington? I love beef wellington while cruise ship lobsters are just OK. On my last HAL cruise we had lobster and rack of veal on the same night and I had the lobster tail as my first coarse with the veal chop. That was an Alaskan cruise and for once the lobster was a cold water tail and actually just OK.

Edited by terrydtx

On 1/17/2020 at 3:03 PM, mnocket said:

I've never found the lobster served on mainstream cruise lines to be very good.  The tails are not very large and they are frequently overcooked.  I now skip the lobster.  That said, there are many here who really enjoy lobster night, so it's really an individual thing.

I agree, never had one that was more than just OK. We are doing our first Viking Ocean cruise in September and I have read on their boards that they serve a whole cold water lobsters that are kept live onboard before being cooked and served. I saw posted pictures and they look delicious. 

7 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The secret is, order a sauce on the side, that's on the menu, which doesn't cause difficulty to the crew. 

Not all of us can do that, as we have medical conditions which prevent eating certain foods.

I am Dairy Intolerant and so have to ask if a sauce contains dairy. This is NOT A FOOD FAD.

There are however symbols indicating whether dairy is included, which are very helpful.

The crew get to know me and are more than helpful.

8 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Pic is from the May 31st 2019 sailing on the Solstice; absolutely order the FREE lobster!  The secret is, order a sauce on the side, that's on the menu, which doesn't cause difficulty to the crew.  Think garlic butter or the Duck's Orange sauce.  

IMG_3989.jpg

Yup..that's what I plan to order on Summit in May...looks excellent

16 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

We got off the Equinox in December, and we had the lobster.

I was also on the Equinox in October and found them to be small and not tasty. They were better in March on my Eclipse cruise. I always ask if they're cold or warm water lobsters.

On 1/16/2020 at 12:59 PM, dadofjessie said:

This just goes to show you that I am behind the times, they provide the menus in advance in the app?

this is fantastic knowledge to be aware of. i had no idea. just booked. advance menus were always a peeve of mine. in haven on NCL we are able to supposedly ask the concierge but i never understood why the menus couldnt be on the tv. especially the fixed ones that are in the specialty restaurants. so if they are on the app and i can plan MDR nites before boarding thats huge for me

saves me the walk to the mdr each morning to see whats being served that nite. dont need more exercise on a vacation