Toiletries Kit or Zip Locks

thethreeofus

2 hours ago, peanutter said:

Are you saying that one does not have to put all liquids in the quart sized bag in their carry-on if they have TSA pre-check?  I have pre-check and the way I read the rules is I still have to put all the appropriate sized liquid items in the quart bag but I do not have to remove it from my backpack during the security check process.

I use Zip-lock bags for everything and, as you mentioned, use contact lens cases for small amounts of liquids (make-up, moisturizer, etc.)  It's amazing how much they can hold.

58 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not always true. Twice in the last 6 months when traveling at smaller airports in US and the TSA line(s) was closed, I was told to go through the regular line but show my boarding pass and the TSA "rules" still applied (I got to keep on shoes and jacket, didn't have to take out my laptop or 3-1-1 baggie.)

I think the rule is to have in a separate bag and I usually do but my last two flights I forgot and nothing was said. My husband, however was screamed at multiple times to ‘PUT YOUR PHONE IN YOUR BAG”  He kept telling them it was in the bag and he only had a case on his belt which they apparently did not want to believe. He always has to remove his belt and boots anyway as they ding. Just wish the agents would believe him and just let him go ahead and remove them without them insisting that he first try it without removing them. Then he has to go back and hold up the line. I Have also had them say to use the regular line but show them boarding pass and follow pre check rules.

18 hours ago, electro said:

I've recently started using bar shampoo and conditioner. Great for travel, no worries about leaks, takes up less space, easier if traveling with just carry on, and better for the environment- no plastic bottles.

I have been using the same smaller bottle for shampoo for over 20 years. 😄

14 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not always true. Twice in the last 6 months when traveling at smaller airports in US and the TSA line(s) was closed, I was told to go through the regular line but show my boarding pass and the TSA "rules" still applied (I got to keep on shoes and jacket, didn't have to take out my laptop or 3-1-1 baggie.)

Yes, but you can't bank on that either.

If MAY happen that way.  I have had it happen both ways.

My most recent cruise - My makeup bag contained make-up (powder, blush, mascara, etc.) q-tips, nail files, tweezers, pencil sharpener, brushes. It has a zipper. (This stayed in my carry-on) In my carry-on was also Naproxen, Migraine meds and Sudafed. Shampoo, Conditioner, Lotion, toothpaste & toothbrush, small bodywash and deodorant all went into one Ziploc that I "double bagged. In a second Ziploc (again double bagged bagged) were sunscreen, suntan lotion and aloe gel. The two Ziplocs went in the outside-waterproof pocket of my checked bag. I had a smaller Ziploc for my perfume which I then wrapped in socks and placed into one of my workout shoes. I also had another Ziploc which held my pre-workout powder and another that had my vitamins. I put the one with powder into the one with pills. 

1 hour ago, electro said:

But you've probably been refilling them from larger plastic bottles.

Yes, but maybe one per year.  Keep my hair shorter saves on shampoo. 😄

Oh, and yes, those go into the recycle trash can.

This thread is a great example of cruise critic at its best. Take a topic that has virtually no measurable bearing on anyone's vacation, add in a bunch of opinions of why yours is the best, and throw in a fight or two.

How many people can't close their suitcase because they used a "kit" over a ziplock?

15 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

How many people can't close their suitcase because they used a "kit" over a ziplock?

How many people can't close their suitcase without re-structuring or removing items?  An interesting question (that has virtually no measurable bearing on anyone's vacation, but will be of interest to me).

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

This thread is a great example of cruise critic at its best. Take a topic that has virtually no measurable bearing on anyone's vacation, add in a bunch of opinions of why yours is the best, and throw in a fight or two.

And now we have another absolutely useless thread. 😂