Toiletries Kit or Zip Locks

thethreeofus

31 minutes ago, SRF said:

IMO, heat sealing is over the top, but if it makes you happy.

Funny thing is... it DOES make me happy. LOL I use my vacuum sealer for a lot more than just food. I keep extra socks/clothes dry in my 4 wheeler for "emergencies". I seal my rum runner so it doesn't leak. I've made survival kits for snowmobiling with matches, fire starter, first aid, etc. I've nearly worn the darn thing out. The only appliance I use more is the coffee maker.  😉

• Like 3

I bring zip-lock bags: one with toothbrush, small toothpaste and mouth washes, small shaving lather and 2 disposable razors (takes up minimal space);  one with first aid: bandaids, non-stick pads, anti-bacterial cream, roll of gauze, and paper tape; one with shampoo, sun block, eyeglass repair kit, dental repair kit.  Each is small enough to fit in an otherwise unusable crevice.

14 hours ago, clo said:

Our "zip lock" bags are freezer bags. I didn't know there was any other type.

The different sizes are marketed as different uses - small sandwich size, etc., - whereas the larger gallon sizes are marketed as freezer bags.  They all can be used for freezer purposes, but the larger ones are heavier and stronger.

23 hours ago, thethreeofus said:

Question for all of you experienced packers.  Do you use a toiletries kit bag ( like a mans shaving kit size) or pack items of same type in zip locks.  My husband thinks keeping everything in a kit is better.  His shaving kit is 9” x 6” x 3 and takes up a large space in his suitcase. I say if he puts like items in zip locks and packs them into small spaces within his luggage, he will save room.  (Bandaids, nail clippers, q-tips, etc in one zip lock; toothpaste, toothbrush in another and so on.)

How do you pack toiletries?

We use zip lock bags. While I have had facial hair for 58 years about 30 years ago gave me a shaving kit ,presumably as a joke or inferring that I should shave  and I still use the case but for my camera and other things.

2 hours ago, MEcruzr said:

YES! I've been collecting travel and trial sizes of my cosmetics/skin care products for an upcoming cruise. No sense in packing full size if it's available in a much smaller size. And if my bag gets lost I'm not out $$$ and then trying to replace everything. Win-win.

I actually transfer them into travel sizes plastic bottle I get at a dollar store.

I put emergency supplies like bandaids, antibiotic, tiny tiny tube of superglue, tweezers, duct tape, spare contact lens, in a very small zippered pouch. Everything else goes in my roll up bag which has four removable plastic, zippered pouches. I want everything in one bag and I can separate hair care from dental from makeup for instance. It is packed tightly and takes up no more space than ziplock bags (4 in rectangle about 8-10 in long). BTW, liquids do not need to be separated with TSA pre check and I never take anything too large for carryon. Have never had a leak but it would be contained if I did to one pouch. I have found many things I might need will fit in a contact lens case.

I find I seldom have any little spaces left to fill as I use packing cubes and shoes are already filled. I will also fill my water bottle or coffee mug with items if packing them.

This is one of those questions I feel should come down to personal preference. If someone prefers a shaving kit or make-up bag over a zip-lock option, so be it. 

I have used zip-lock bags for short trips (e.g., business travel) but I find that they get beat up pretty easily. If it gets a hole, then there goes any 'protection' from leakage. I generally carry a spare or two and end up using it for the return trip home.

That said, for longer trips I have a small toiletries kit that I prefer. It is two-sided but packs flat and works for me, plus I can use it comfortably during the trip -- whether that's a cruise or a land trip. It keeps everything contained, visible, and it is easy to stow in whatever space is available. I use travel-size bottles for things like shampoo, lotion, sunscreen; everything fits.

I make use of random small spaces in my luggage for other things -- socks, corkscrew (very important!), adaptor plugs, a few power bars, etc.

3 hours ago, cb at sea said:

If you're flying, liquids HAVE to be in the zip-locs...in 3.4 oz sizes or smaller.  If you're flying and want to use a "kit", then it will need to go into your checked bags.  

The ship doesn't care how or what size liquids you bring...as long as it's not booze!

SMH. Over the years I've come to actually look forward to your posts to see what kind of misinformation you can come up with next. Entertaining; by not useful for anyone who doesn't know any better.

There are no rules that state that all liquids must be in a zip lock bag if you are flying. The size restrictions and bag requirements ONLY apply if you are putting them into your carry on luggage. You can also pack a toiletry kit in your carry on. You just have to put the liquids in a separate zip lock until you get off the plane.  In a checked bag, liquids can be of any size and packed any way you want.

4 hours ago, cb at sea said:

If you're flying, liquids HAVE to be in the zip-locs...in 3.4 oz sizes or smaller.  If you're flying and want to use a "kit", then it will need to go into your checked bags.  

The ship doesn't care how or what size liquids you bring...as long as it's not booze!

Only for carry on.

Many people actually check bags.  I do on pretty much every flight.

3 hours ago, MEcruzr said:

Funny thing is... it DOES make me happy. LOL I use my vacuum sealer for a lot more than just food. I keep extra socks/clothes dry in my 4 wheeler for "emergencies". I seal my rum runner so it doesn't leak. I've made survival kits for snowmobiling with matches, fire starter, first aid, etc. I've nearly worn the darn thing out. The only appliance I use more is the coffee maker.  😉

The emergency kit and for dry clothes, I can see.

My rum runners have never leaked.  And I just leave them in my suitcase (most times) no matter where I am going.  And I am on the road for work about 40% of the time.  

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The different sizes are marketed as different uses - small sandwich size, etc., - whereas the larger gallon sizes are marketed as freezer bags.  They all can be used for freezer purposes, but the larger ones are heavier and stronger.

No, they make pretty much all sized, except the snack size, in regular and freezer.

Freezer bags are heavier plastic with more robust zips to take handling when cold.  The thin ones just split.

I have sandwich size freezer bags with double zips.

BTW, my "shaving" kit carries more than shaving stuff.  I also carry some tubes of OTC medications and things like nail clippers and other things.  

It is easier to prep for a trip and restock one kit than a bunch of individual bags floating around the suitcase.

As for travel sizes, I have larger than the small travel ones, but not the large ones, that I refill as needed.  My shampoo container is 200 ml, so double size.  It works for trips as long as 4 weeks. 

21 minutes ago, SRF said:

No, they make pretty much all sized, except the snack size, in regular and freezer.

Freezer bags are heavier plastic with more robust zips to take handling when cold.  The thin ones just split.

I have sandwich size freezer bags with double zips.

Got it.  Only buy certain ones with the large as the only freezer one so I didn't realize that difference.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

5 hours ago, SRF said:

One trick with bottles when you fly, leave a little room in the bottle, then last thing, squeeze out some of the air and tighten/close the cap.  This prevents pressure build up that can cause leaks. 

Considering all the miles we have flown over the years, we should have been aware of this because it makes perfect sense - but no. Thanks for the info!

Edited by dogs4fun

6 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

We use these as well.  I actually double bag my hair conditioner & shampoo because that is what has leaked on a few of our TA flights.

I've recently started using bar shampoo and conditioner. Great for travel, no worries about leaks, takes up less space, easier if traveling with just carry on, and better for the environment- no plastic bottles.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

I put emergency supplies like bandaids, antibiotic, tiny tiny tube of superglue, tweezers, duct tape, spare contact lens, in a very small zippered pouch. Everything else goes in my roll up bag which has four removable plastic, zippered pouches. I want everything in one bag and I can separate hair care from dental from makeup for instance. It is packed tightly and takes up no more space than ziplock bags (4 in rectangle about 8-10 in long). BTW, liquids do not need to be separated with TSA pre check and I never take anything too large for carryon. Have never had a leak but it would be contained if I did to one pouch. I have found many things I might need will fit in a contact lens case.

I find I seldom have any little spaces left to fill as I use packing cubes and shoes are already filled. I will also fill my water bottle or coffee mug with items if packing them.

Are you saying that one does not have to put all liquids in the quart sized bag in their carry-on if they have TSA pre-check?  I have pre-check and the way I read the rules is I still have to put all the appropriate sized liquid items in the quart bag but I do not have to remove it from my backpack during the security check process.

I use Zip-lock bags for everything and, as you mentioned, use contact lens cases for small amounts of liquids (make-up, moisturizer, etc.)  It's amazing how much they can hold.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mom says said:

Over the years I've come to actually look forward to your posts to see what kind of misinformation you can come up with next.

Rather than feed a troll, why not just report?

8 minutes ago, peanutter said:

I have pre-check and the way I read the rules is I still have to put all the appropriate sized liquid items in the quart bag but I do not have to remove it from my backpack during the security check process.

That is almost correct......you don't have to remove it automatically, but they still have the right to ask any individual to do so.  If you don't have them all in a bag, you'll be held up at security for a lot longer.  And, having TSA Precheck doesn't guarantee that there will be a designated PreCheck line for you to go through when you need it, and it there isn't one, you're going to need to remove that bag of liquids like everyone else.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

That is almost correct......you don't have to remove it automatically, but they still have the right to ask any individual to do so.  If you don't have them all in a bag, you'll be held up at security for a lot longer.  And, having TSA Precheck doesn't guarantee that there will be a designated PreCheck line for you to go through when you need it, and it there isn't one, you're going to need to remove that bag of liquids like everyone else.  

Good point about the possibility of there not being a pre-check line.  Never had that problem even from my regional airport, but I don't fly as much as a lot of people on here.  I always pack the "regular" way with the quart bag so taking it out would not be a problem.  The last thing I want is anything that delays me getting through the security process.

19 minutes ago, peanutter said:

Good point about the possibility of there not being a pre-check line.

I saw one being closed down, for whatever reason, shortly before I arrived......it was there, and then it wasn't.  So, regardless of the fact that I had a TSA Precheck boarding pass and wanted to use it, it simply wasn't being offered at that moment. 

1 hour ago, clo said:

Rather than feed a troll, why not just report?

The poster in question is not a troll - just one who typically posts inaccurate, misleading, or incorrect information.  I don't think they do it on purpose  - they just don't have their facts straight and can't help themselves.  What frustrates many is that they don't often return to a post to learn from their errors, so it continues from thread to thread.

Can't report someone for being incorrect, or that would include most of us as we all are mistaken at some point with our information.

And BTW, I think we've had this discussion before - and maybe about the same poster.....

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, calliopecruiser said:

And, having TSA Precheck doesn't guarantee that there will be a designated PreCheck line for you to go through when you need it, and it there isn't one, you're going to need to remove that bag of liquids like everyone else.  

Not always true. Twice in the last 6 months when traveling at smaller airports in US and the TSA line(s) was closed, I was told to go through the regular line but show my boarding pass and the TSA "rules" still applied (I got to keep on shoes and jacket, didn't have to take out my laptop or 3-1-1 baggie.)