Toiletries Kit or Zip Locks

thethreeofus

Question for all of you experienced packers.  Do you use a toiletries kit bag ( like a mans shaving kit size) or pack items of same type in zip locks.  My husband thinks keeping everything in a kit is better.  His shaving kit is 9” x 6” x 3 and takes up a large space in his suitcase. I say if he puts like items in zip locks and packs them into small spaces within his luggage, he will save room.  (Bandaids, nail clippers, q-tips, etc in one zip lock; toothpaste, toothbrush in another and so on.)

How do you pack toiletries?

I know this does not answer your question exactly, but this is what we have found to be helpful. We tend to take longer cruises. We like toiletry bags with multiple pockets that hang on the door hooks in bathroom. The bags can be folded to a tri-fold or laid flat in luggage. I have never packed essentials in the hanging bags because I like to pack those in carry-ons in small, flat toiletry bags and transfer to the hanging bag on the cruise. We always stay at least one night before in a hotel and live out of the carry-on until we reach the ship. We have even been diverted for one night after the cruise because of an airport closure and used essentials w/o getting into big bags. On the cruise, we like the accessibility of our products in the clear hanging pockets--just grab, use, put back, and  it gives us extra storage keeping our space tidy. Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

I use a bag with 2 zipper compartments, one mesh and one waterproof plastic.  It's about 10 x 6 x 4.  I put everything I need in there.  So easy to grab it and take it in the bathroom in the hotel, and then on the cruise.   I don't think it takes up any more room than putting it in 4 ziplocks would.   

Everything goes in there:  Shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, mousse, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, pick, floss, razor, q-tips, powder, hair accessories, soap, mouthwash,  and lotion.  Make-up goes in a separate bag.

We use a toiletry bag for things that can leak, liquid things, everything else I ziplock. I also use the largest size ziplock baggies, 2 gallon, for smaller things like undies and socks, if you push all the air out, it save a lot of room and the come in handy for wet item or what ever when needed .

I have a toiletries bag fully packed right now. The next time I go on vacation it gets thrown in a suitcase. When I return from vacation I'll empty out the half used bottles of shampoo and toothpaste and use at home as normal etc. I'll then replace the toiletries bag with new bottles so I'm already to go on vacation again and don't need to worry if I've got everything. 

• Like 2

I like the tri-fold kit that holds everything and can be hung up in the cabin or hotel room. We always have a hotel night pre-cruise, and I'd hate to have to rummage about to find everything in ziplock bags scattered throughout my bag. Besides, weight is always a greater issue than space when flying, and I've yet to run out of room.

• Like 1

We both use toiletry bags that can be hung up on a hook. So much more convenient to have everything in one place instead of rummaging around in multiple bags. Mine always goes in the large outer pocket of my checked bag, making it even easier to get to. Never had a problem finding room for it.

• Like 1

Zipping bags!!!!! If anything leaks or breaks - and it has - the damage is contained. And they take up no space or weight. Also we had our first experience recently with packing cubes. And were impressed. I can see using them for not leaking things, i.e., electric razor, tooth brushes, etc.

42 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Instead of regular zip lock bags we use quart and/or gallon zip lock “freezer” bags. 

Much sturdier and lasts a lot longer.

Agree - we typically do the same.  We also have plastic zipper pouches as part of our luggage and will frequently use them as well. Very flexible when packing in various spaces. But regardless, a kit is never used.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

Instead of regular zip lock bags we use quart and/or gallon zip lock “freezer” bags. 

Our "zip lock" bags are freezer bags. I didn't know there was any other type.

• Like 1

I use my vacuum sealer for liquids and lotions (shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, etc) for travel TO the ship... I don't want to have to deal with getting things laundered onboard if something leaks. On the way home I use ziplock bags. I will put these into shoes, my purses, etc to save room. Little things go into a small zippered pouch (clipper, file, tweezers, etc). I also bring travel size whenever possible... for everything I can... like deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo/conditioner. Most of the time I use it up and toss the container. Less to carry, less to put away when I get home! I find that for a week I really need very little of most things. 

9 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I like the tri-fold kit that holds everything and can be hung up in the cabin or hotel room. We always have a hotel night pre-cruise, and I'd hate to have to rummage about to find everything in ziplock bags scattered throughout my bag. Besides, weight is always a greater issue than space when flying, and I've yet to run out of room.

I think mine is similar.  Instead of a trim-fold my kit bag just folds in half (and zips together).  There is a hook so that when unfolded it can be hung in the bathroom when in use or out of the way in the closet when not in use.   These are so much better than the old style leather toiletry cases the kind of popped open at the top (almost like a shoe shine kit - haha).  

I don't really carry anything that would leak other than the travel shaving cream can which I suppose could accidentally spew stuff all over the place.  But I typically put that in a plastic bag when in the suitcase.  

44 minutes ago, MEcruzr said:

I also bring travel size whenever possible... for everything I can... like deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo/conditioner.

I do it for shampoo/conditioner/skin care products. Makes a HUGE difference, doesn't it?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

I don't really carry anything that would leak other than the travel shaving cream can which I suppose could accidentally spew stuff all over the place.  But I typically put that in a plastic bag when in the suitcase.  

My trip-fold has two smaller, waterproof pockets in addition to a large third pocket. My shaving gel and toothpaste simply go in the waterproof pockets.

14 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

We use these as well.  I actually double bag my hair conditioner & shampoo because that is what has leaked on a few of our TA flights.

• Like 1

I travel a lot, so I have a shaving kit with everything I might need.  Just easier for me.

I do always carry quart and gallon freezer bags for things I might pick up.

One trick with bottles when you fly, leave a little room in the bottle, then last thing, squeeze out some of the air and tighten/close the cap.  This prevents pressure build up that can cause leaks.   In well over 3 million air miles, I have had my shampoo leak one time.  And I may not have gotten it fully closed.

IMO, heat sealing is over the top, but if it makes you happy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If you're flying, liquids HAVE to be in the zip-locs...in 3.4 oz sizes or smaller.  If you're flying and want to use a "kit", then it will need to go into your checked bags.  

The ship doesn't care how or what size liquids you bring...as long as it's not booze!

9 hours ago, clo said:

I do it for shampoo/conditioner/skin care products. Makes a HUGE difference, doesn't it?

YES! I've been collecting travel and trial sizes of my cosmetics/skin care products for an upcoming cruise. No sense in packing full size if it's available in a much smaller size. And if my bag gets lost I'm not out $$$ and then trying to replace everything. Win-win.