Robes on HAL

farjar

We sailed on our first HAL cruise 6 months ago and noticed 2 white robes in packages in our closet.  We didn't use them but saw several people walking around the decks wearing theirs.  What is the policy?  Are they there to use free during the cruise, like a towel?  Or are you charged if you use them?   We will be sailing again in a few months and would like to be clear before we go.  Thank you.

Just now, farjar said:

We sailed on our first HAL cruise 6 months ago and noticed 2 white robes in packages in our closet.  We didn't use them but saw several people walking around the decks wearing theirs.  What is the policy?  Are they there to use free during the cruise, like a towel?  Or are you charged if you use them?   We will be sailing again in a few months and would like to be clear before we go.  Thank you.

They are for your use free while on the cruise just like towels.  But please don't walk around the ship in them even though you see others doing that.  They are for use in the cabin.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, love_the_sea said:

They are for your use free while on the cruise just like towels.  But please don't walk around the ship in them even though you see others doing that.  They are for use in the cabin.  

Wear 'em where you want to. There is no "For cabin use only" policy. James Bond and Cary Grant wore theirs at the pool...that's good enough for me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, love_the_sea said:

I've never seen a note or sign that says the robes are only for use in the cabin.  Please post a photo of it here...

Wear that robe as you wish.  Savvy travelers around the world see them regularly at hotels and resorts.   I see them every day at work, people walking through the lobby or lounge to get to the hot tub or grab a coffee.  No one faints at the sight.  

2 hours ago, bobpell said:

Bathrobe...read my lips

Is there a bath in the Lido?

Change the name to Roamrobe if you think you are in fashion when you leave your room.

Bob

I never wear my robe by the main lido pool however the terminology argument is kind of silly IMO. A “bathing suit/costume” is worn in the pool or at the beach so using the pool has obviously been referred to as bathing. In the ship’s spa it is quite common to see robes worn around the pool. I do agree with everyone that they certainly do not belong in dining venues though. 

13 hours ago, bobpell said:

Bathrobe...read my lips

Is there a bath in the Lido?

Change the name to Roamrobe if you think you are in fashion when you leave your room.

Bob

Lido-no, pool-yes. What else are you supposed to put around you when you exit the pool or hot tub? Towels are for drying off and robes are for wearing before you get in and after you are out and done drying off with the pool towels. BTW, HAL provides the same robes in the Cabanas and Retreats.

Edited by kevingastreich

I do not understand the issue with wearing robes to the hot tub, the spa, or to the pools.   

This is a very common practice at resorts and at some hotels.

Who on earth would think this inappropriate or offensive?  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, iancal said:

I do not understand the issue with wearing robes to the hot tub, the spa, or to the pools.   

This is a very common practice at resorts and at some hotels.

Who on earth would think this inappropriate or offensive?  

Ditto! I agree wholeheartedly.

To me, a robe is a form of cover-up. By my standards of etiquette and modesty, one wears a cover-up while heading from the cabin to the pool or spa and vice versa; one does not wear one's cover-up while dining whether at the MDR or the Lido buffet. Grabbing lunch or a snack poolside from the pizza joint or the hot dog stand is a different matter. No, I don't have an attack of the vapors when i see folks lounging in the Lido buffet in their robe; it just strikes me as out of place.

• Like 1

Interesting on all the different ideas on robes and what they are for.

When I use the spa on HAL, I just wear my clothes there and bring my bathing suit.  They supply change rooms, lockers and robes 😉

I don’t feel comfortable wearing a robe and that way, my robe in my cabin stays clean for me 😉 

Makes no difference to me what others do as long as they keep them out of the LIdo dining area, Dutch cafe etc (and of course wear something underneath them , please ).

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, kazu said:

as long as they keep them out of the LIdo dining area, Dutch cafe etc (and of course wear something underneath them , please ).

I agree.  On the Koningsdam in the fall there was a couple strolling arm in arm through the shops wearing their robes.  A bit much IMO. Nowhere near the spa. 

When we used to go to the pools, we wear our bathing suits under other items.  I.E. -- DH wears his workout shorts and shirt over his bathing trunks.  I wear a cover up cloth dress over my bathing suit.

We do not go to the Lido or dining room or any bar/lounge wearing the above mentioned items.  We go back to the cabin and change into other clothes.

I have no problem with people wearing the robes around the pool or spa, but not at breakfast in the Lido. I wear a shirt to & from the pool that way I can go to the Lido for lunch. I think it boils down to common sense on were not to wear it. Would you wear it at home going out to a fast food for lunch?? 

3 hours ago, ski ww said:

Would you wear it at home going out to a fast food for lunch??

Maybe … but only if using the drive-thru for breakfast and going straight home! Have never done though. And certainly wouldn't even think about wearing a robe outside my stateroom.

Edited by Cruise Suzy

On 1/24/2020 at 3:48 PM, Cruising-along said:

I agree.  On the Koningsdam in the fall there was a couple strolling arm in arm through the shops wearing their robes.  A bit much IMO. Nowhere near the spa. 

We were once on a cruise (don't remember which ship) where there was a man who ALWAYS wore a robe, even at the evening shows!!  (I don't think we ever saw him in the MDR so maybe he ate in his room or Lido.)  We overheard him telling someone "Where else can you vacation and wear a robe all week?"  🙄

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bluesplayer said:

I love the HA robes!!   I noticed on the Club Orange list they mention robes.  Does anyone know if the Club Orange robes are different than the standard ones supplied?

I believe they are similar to the robes supplied to the suites with an orange trim.

I am not a robe person, I just don't find them comfortable. Perhaps this is because they come open so easily.

What I lounge in are pajama bottoms. Now that I am retired, I pretty much live in them. I will even go out to the mail box or to get the newspaper in them. But I would never go to a store or any place like that in them.

I do see people at the store wearing them though, mostly young people.

While on a cruise I spend all my time in the cabin in them, and only get dressed if I am going to leave the room.

Since we often have dinner in our room, I can wear them while having a first class meal. Very comfortable.